Rilwan001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So lately I've just sorted out housing at uni as i was invited by a friend. one of the girls was unable to pay the rent to i payed for her room and contract etc.

Initially the process was rushed as the group had already viewed the house and chosen rooms. So i need to be quick and make the decision to go with the group initially think i wound get her room.

But another person in the group mentioned to be that (name) would move up stairs whilst i take one of the rooms downstairs .

I said okay. I have to admit not knowing i would be given the smallest room in the house literally a box. that due to another person in the house swapping rooms without everyone knowledge. i feel like i have been played a bit as the whole room swapping thing was when i had to go thought the contract and my parents were abroad along with quarantine.

So i could not see the house in person all i had were a couple of photos and video which actually glossed over the room i have been handed.

I have told the girl that made me swap for her friend and now shes says '(name)' she moved upstairs with me now like it was planned after i mention why the room i got was so tiny they all knew but kept quiet.

just want some opinions as i might have to cancel my contract.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rilwan001)
So lately I've just sorted out housing at uni as i was invited by a friend. one of the girls was unable to pay the rent to i payed for her room and contract etc.

Initially the process was rushed as the group had already viewed the house and chosen rooms. So i need to be quick and make the decision to go with the group initially think i wound get her room.

But another person in the group mentioned to be that (name) would move up stairs whilst i take one of the rooms downstairs .

I said okay. I have to admit not knowing i would be given the smallest room in the house literally a box. that due to another person in the house swapping rooms without everyone knowledge. i feel like i have been played a bit as the whole room swapping thing was when i had to go thought the contract and my parents were abroad along with quarantine.

So i could not see the house in person all i had were a couple of photos and video which actually glossed over the room i have been handed.

I have told the girl that made me swap for her friend and now shes says '(name)' she moved upstairs with me now like it was planned after i mention why the room i got was so tiny they all knew but kept quiet.

just want some opinions as i might have to cancel my contract.
They will never agree and this is going to cause soem fall out.
If you are unhappy and they refuse to work out a fiar way or you to pay less pased on m2, then find soemwhere else.
It would appear you arent poor so at worst get a studio.

Have you already provided a guarantor? If thats the case they become liable so you will have to find a replacement if you signed.
If you feel they pulled a fast one in bad faith and have been unfair, then just tell them you have decided to move elsewhere.
You cna give the other girl a reasonable time till she can pay if you have the money as its best not to use ut as a neabs of leverage.

Just leave them to it. Plenty of better friends to make if they think thats fair.
Rilwan001
Rep:
?
999tigger yeah they've twisted the story and i rang up the company and they said it some we need to sort out unless i move in before everyone and take that room lol
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
999tigger yeah they've twisted the story and i rang up the company and they said it some we need to sort out unless i move in before everyone and take that room lol
Well the point is are you prepared to go against them? I would be if I felt I had been cheated.
You can offer them the chance to renegotiate or draw lots and if its no, then you or they will have to find someone else.
Drawing lots or paying different rates for rooms based on size are fair ways of settling it. Normally the person who does all the work gets first choice.

If you really feel they stitched you then find someone else. No need to fall out and burn bridges.
Try not to use the money you lent to the other person as leverage.

In any event you are all liable until a replacement is found for the room. so they can help you out by finding someone else for the room as well.
Its better just to get it sorted than harbour resentment.
Rilwan001
Rep:
?
999tigger how can i fight it as i genuinely have been cheated cause they are saying who ever had the room don't have to do bins and pay for cleaning stuff literally proving they are guilty.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
999tigger how can i fight it as i genuinely have been cheated cause they are saying who ever had the room don't have to do bins and pay for cleaning stuff literally proving they are guilty.
Just tell them you think its unfair as it is and you are unhappy.
You would prefer another way such as drawing lots or paying based on size of rooms.
It is probable they will not be interested.
In that case find somewhere else.
If you dont wnat to then you will have to stay and fall out with them or get on with it.

Have you given them a UK guarantor?
Rilwan001
Rep:
?
999tigger yes sadly my mum signed a esign contract but i have evidence of them twisting the information
GentleSoul
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You've been misled. Personally I wouldn't want to live with people like that. It's already got off to a bad start. I also couldn't live in a box room But that's just me!
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
999tigger yes sadly my mum signed a esign contract but i have evidence of them twisting the information
If I had been stitched up I wouldnt live with them. Not worth the hassle. Also even if you get the room now it will put someone elses nose out of joint.
They arent interested otherwise they wouldnt have done it.
Are you paying different rates for the rooms? How much?
Rilwan001
Rep:
?
999tigger all the same prices but that one is smallest than the rest
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
999tigger all the same prices but that one is smallest than the rest
Then thats ridiculous. Have you worked out what size each room is?

In any event I have told you your options.
Rilwan001
Rep:
?
you can see each room is significant bigger than the one i have. there is barely a walkway and cupboard doesn't fully open due to bed.
999tigger
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
you can see each room is significant bigger than the one i have. there is barely a walkway and cupboard doesn't fully open due to bed.
999tigger
Then its ridiculous to pay same price. All this should have been sorted beforehand.
Ive told you your options just pick one. Its not likely to happen they all just agree and its resolved nicely. You arent the first student this has happened to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (111)
25.81%
Better than expected (90)
20.93%
Worse than expected (229)
53.26%

Watched Threads