The Student Room Group

free radical reaction confused

In the first propagation step, why is it that the Hydorgen is ALWAYS the one that reacts with the free radical and the spare electron transfers to the other product.
My query is, why specifically does it want to go to the hydrogen, and why is the electron transferred.
I’m gonna bump this up for you so someone more capable can answer :lol: I haven’t looked at anything remotely related to a level chemistry since I finished my course in early May so I’m drawing a blank here. Also, free radical substitution was the one thing I never cracked. Still don’t get it to this day
Original post by Anonymous17!
I’m gonna bump this up for you so someone more capable can answer :lol: I haven’t looked at anything remotely related to a level chemistry since I finished my course in early May so I’m drawing a blank here. Also, free radical substitution was the one thing I never cracked. Still don’t get it to this day

aww thankss
Original post by vix.xvi
In the first propagation step, why is it that the Hydorgen is ALWAYS the one that reacts with the free radical and the spare electron transfers to the other product.
My query is, why specifically does it want to go to the hydrogen, and why is the electron transferred.

Free radicals are VERY reactive. They will react with anything with which they collide.

If chlorine free radicals are formed by homolytic fission stimulated by UV light, then these have no choice but to bump into the hydrogen atoms of the methane, as they surround the carbon atom.

The most likely outcome is HCl and ●CH3
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by charco
Free radicals are VERY reactive. They will react with anything with which they collide.

If chlorine free radicals are formed by homolytic fission stimulated by UV light, then these have no choice but to bump into the hydrogen atoms of the methane, as they surround the carbon atom.

The most likely outcome is HCl and ●CH3

thanks!!

why does the free electron transfer to CH3? Couldn't it just stay with HCl?
Original post by vix.xvi
thanks!!

why does the free electron transfer to CH3? Couldn't it just stay with HCl?

You don't have a clear idea of the mechanism. There is no electron transfer involved.

fr_sub.png
The chlorine free radical collides with the hydrogen on the methyl group, and the electron that was half of the pair holding the hydrogen to the carbon remains on the carbon.
Original post by charco
You don't have a clear idea of the mechanism. There is no electron transfer involved.

fr_sub.png
The chlorine free radical collides with the hydrogen on the methyl group, and the electron that was half of the pair holding the hydrogen to the carbon remains on the carbon.

ohhhh

thank you for clearing it up :smile:
have a good day

Quick Reply

Latest