I’m afraid to return to work

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So my boss owns two places. They closed the one I work at at the start of lockdown and started doing deliveries from the second place. I did a shift in the second place then my mother (who I live with) was told she’s high risk to the virus and should shield. I told my boss I’d be isolating because I didn’t want to risk bringing the virus back to my mother. They asked me couple weeks ago about coming back to work and just that question alone made me feel sick. I struggle with anxiety and I did tell them that where I was at that time, I wasn’t ready. The number of new cases in my area has decreased and I feel like I’m expected back at work but I’m close to having a panic attack whenever I even think of work. I feel guilty and that everyone in work will judge me. I told my boss I’d find it easier going back to work once the place I usually am is open because that’s more familiar to me but they said it won’t be the same and I need to be prepared to work at both.
I just don’t know what to do
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in the similar position to you where my mother is under shielding so all of my family have been off for the past 12 weeks in order to protect my mother from the virus.

I’ve gone back to work in the past 2/3 weeks, and it is abit nerving but by protecting myself by using a face mask and a face shield; and then showering when I get home theres a slim chance of bringing it back into my household.

Goodluck!
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Current plans are that shielding is being relaxed on 6 July and 'paused' on 1 August.

You can do as jbrdodd has suggested; use PPE, shower as soon as you arrive home and put clothes in a bin bag or wash, and you can always socially distance within the house as an extra precaution.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my boss owns two places. They closed the one I work at at the start of lockdown and started doing deliveries from the second place. I did a shift in the second place then my mother (who I live with) was told she’s high risk to the virus and should shield. I told my boss I’d be isolating because I didn’t want to risk bringing the virus back to my mother. They asked me couple weeks ago about coming back to work and just that question alone made me feel sick. I struggle with anxiety and I did tell them that where I was at that time, I wasn’t ready. The number of new cases in my area has decreased and I feel like I’m expected back at work but I’m close to having a panic attack whenever I even think of work. I feel guilty and that everyone in work will judge me. I told my boss I’d find it easier going back to work once the place I usually am is open because that’s more familiar to me but they said it won’t be the same and I need to be prepared to work at both.
I just don’t know what to do
You cannot stay off work forever and it is good that you have protected your mother. Wash your hands and remember not to touch your face.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
You can do as jbrdodd has suggested; use PPE, shower as soon as you arrive home and put clothes in a bin bag or wash, and you can always socially distance within the house as an extra precaution.
This. You can't stay off work forever. Life goes on.
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Be glad you have a job to go back to. A lot of people are blissfully unaware of the impeding redundancy. We all need to learn to live with this.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah agree with the others - we need to start moving again, can't stay in a plastic bubble forever. If you're worried, there are precautions to take - the extent to which you follow them is up to you.

I don't know how old you are, but I assume you weren't planning on living with your mum forever. Perhaps those plans need moving forward if relevant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (79)
38.73%
Take autumn exams (68)
33.33%
Look for a job (6)
2.94%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.43%
Take a year out (31)
15.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed