The Student Room Group

Is maths a-level difficult?

i'm considering taking maths a level since I like it and its useful for the future... also because i'm still struggling to choose a third option lol! However, i'm not sure if I will find it too difficult. In my last gcse mock I got grade 6 and was 2 marks of a grade 7.
So if anyone has took a level maths, how difficult is it? and also if anyone took a level maths who got a 6 at gcse would you recommend? thanks
Reply 1
My college required a grade 7 for Maths A level.I don't think this was necessary as the 1st few pure chapters were GCSE topics but with a bit more terminology.HOWEVER, having said that if you have a solid understanding of GCSE maths then the first term or so will be a breeze. The applied section can be challenging depending on which GCSE's you took; if you took A Level Stats then you'll be fine ; if you took(and did well in ) Physics, mechanics will also be a breeze as it is mainly plugging into formulas (that are given to you in the exam).2nd year is much different and requires a bit more of a physic-y mind set to model the situations.
Hope That Helps.
Reply 2
You need 8 or 9 ideally to cope with some of the A-Level content successfully. It can be quite tricky.
i got an 8 at gcse and did a-level maths- i found some of it quite difficult but that may have been because maths didn't come naturally to me. difficulty is relative- if you enjoy the subject and are willing to work hard for it then think about taking it. whilst the grade you have at gcse won't necessarily determine how you perform at a-level, you might have to do some extra consolidation of gcse stuff before starting the course if your grade is a 6.
When you say you got a 6 at GCSE level, where are you losing the marks? Is it because of not understanding the algebra, or is it more careless mistakes?

You need a very strong grasp of basic algebra to be able to cope with A level.
Original post by mazenod
You need 8 or 9 ideally to cope with some of the A-Level content successfully. It can be quite tricky.

Well put and my experience too. It is a step up.
At least a 7, preferably an 8 or a 9.
I got a 6 at GCSE maths, and an A in A level maths
Reply 8
Original post by mazenod

ahhh ok thanks a lot :smile: i don't want to put myself into a subject i'll struggle with ahaha thanks
Reply 9
ow

Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
I got a 6 at GCSE maths, and an A in A level maths

how do you find it?
Original post by AnonyWally
At least a 7, preferably an 8 or a 9.

ok thank you :smile:
Original post by pwk123
My college required a grade 7 for Maths A level.I don't think this was necessary as the 1st few pure chapters were GCSE topics but with a bit more terminology.HOWEVER, having said that if you have a solid understanding of GCSE maths then the first term or so will be a breeze. The applied section can be challenging depending on which GCSE's you took; if you took A Level Stats then you'll be fine ; if you took(and did well in ) Physics, mechanics will also be a breeze as it is mainly plugging into formulas (that are given to you in the exam).2nd year is much different and requires a bit more of a physic-y mind set to model the situations.
Hope That Helps.

ahhh thanks so much! i'm glad i asked before i put it down haha
Original post by murphyblake
ahhh ok thanks a lot :smile: i don't want to put myself into a subject i'll struggle with ahaha thanks

No worries, good luck 😃

Quick Reply

Latest