murphyblake
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i'm considering taking maths a level since I like it and its useful for the future... also because i'm still struggling to choose a third option lol! However, i'm not sure if I will find it too difficult. In my last gcse mock I got grade 6 and was 2 marks of a grade 7.
So if anyone has took a level maths, how difficult is it? and also if anyone took a level maths who got a 6 at gcse would you recommend? thanks
pwk123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My college required a grade 7 for Maths A level.I don't think this was necessary as the 1st few pure chapters were GCSE topics but with a bit more terminology.HOWEVER, having said that if you have a solid understanding of GCSE maths then the first term or so will be a breeze. The applied section can be challenging depending on which GCSE's you took; if you took A Level Stats then you'll be fine ; if you took(and did well in ) Physics, mechanics will also be a breeze as it is mainly plugging into formulas (that are given to you in the exam).2nd year is much different and requires a bit more of a physic-y mind set to model the situations.
Hope That Helps.
Squirmz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need 8 or 9 ideally to cope with some of the A-Level content successfully. It can be quite tricky.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i got an 8 at gcse and did a-level maths- i found some of it quite difficult but that may have been because maths didn't come naturally to me. difficulty is relative- if you enjoy the subject and are willing to work hard for it then think about taking it. whilst the grade you have at gcse won't necessarily determine how you perform at a-level, you might have to do some extra consolidation of gcse stuff before starting the course if your grade is a 6.
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When you say you got a 6 at GCSE level, where are you losing the marks? Is it because of not understanding the algebra, or is it more careless mistakes?

You need a very strong grasp of basic algebra to be able to cope with A level.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mazenod)
You need 8 or 9 ideally to cope with some of the A-Level content successfully. It can be quite tricky.
Well put and my experience too. It is a step up.
username5325486
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At least a 7, preferably an 8 or a 9.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got a 6 at GCSE maths, and an A in A level maths
murphyblake
Rep:
?
(Original post by mazenod)
ahhh ok thanks a lot i don't want to put myself into a subject i'll struggle with ahaha thanks
murphyblake
Rep:
?
ow

(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)
I got a 6 at GCSE maths, and an A in A level maths
how do you find it?
murphyblake
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnonyWally)
At least a 7, preferably an 8 or a 9.
ok thank you
murphyblake
Rep:
?
(Original post by pwk123)
My college required a grade 7 for Maths A level.I don't think this was necessary as the 1st few pure chapters were GCSE topics but with a bit more terminology.HOWEVER, having said that if you have a solid understanding of GCSE maths then the first term or so will be a breeze. The applied section can be challenging depending on which GCSE's you took; if you took A Level Stats then you'll be fine ; if you took(and did well in ) Physics, mechanics will also be a breeze as it is mainly plugging into formulas (that are given to you in the exam).2nd year is much different and requires a bit more of a physic-y mind set to model the situations.
Hope That Helps.
ahhh thanks so much! i'm glad i asked before i put it down haha
Squirmz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by murphyblake)
ahhh ok thanks a lot i don't want to put myself into a subject i'll struggle with ahaha thanks
No worries, good luck 😃
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors are most important to you when considering a university in Clearing?

How well the uni/course ranks (5)
17.24%
Location (5)
17.24%
How effective their covid-19 policies are (1)
3.45%
What courses they offer (7)
24.14%
Course content (5)
17.24%
Social life options (4)
13.79%
Accommodation options (2)
6.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads