Applying for PGCE Primary 2021 - what to do about work experience?

Watch
hmoc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I decided earlier on in the year that I would love to pursue a new career as a Primary school teacher. However, having been in a full time job for 2 years and now that schools are closed, I really don't know what to do about gaining adequate work experience to help my application. I have experience with kids (babysitting, nanny, aupair, international volunteering in a primary school) but not in a UK primary school. The courses I'm looking at consider such experience compulsory I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice on what to do!
TJPBrewer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's a bit of a sticky one...

I'd probably have a word with your employer about the scenario and see if they're okay with giving you a week or two off to gain said experience.

I'd then try and find the headteachers of each primary school local to you. Schools are now open quite a lot (it's still optional for parents to send them but they ARE open) so assuming they'd want you to wear PPE, you should be okay.

Good luck!
JamThatJam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hmoc)
Hello,

I decided earlier on in the year that I would love to pursue a new career as a Primary school teacher. However, having been in a full time job for 2 years and now that schools are closed, I really don't know what to do about gaining adequate work experience to help my application. I have experience with kids (babysitting, nanny, aupair, international volunteering in a primary school) but not in a UK primary school. The courses I'm looking at consider such experience compulsory I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice on what to do!
Hey,
You don't actually need any experience to do a PGCE now as the government have taken that requirement away, you sound like you have experience working with children in an alternative context so that should look great on your application- what courses have you been looking at, for a PGCE they shouldn't reject you just because you don't have experience in UK primary schools.

Also here's the thread for 2021 applicants https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6522386 Hope this helps!
Last edited by JamThatJam; 1 month ago
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hmoc)
Hello,

Hi hmoc.

Do not panic about getting experience, you have a whole other year to get some before you start your teacher training and we can help you gain this if you contact the Get Into Teaching number on 0800 389 2500 and ask for an advisor. I'm surprised they have said this is compulsory, especially in these times, but it's easily sorted, you just may need to get time off work or use some annual leave in order to achieve this.

Cheers
Dan
hmoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamThatJam)
Hey,
You don't actually need any experience to do a PGCE now as the government have taken that requirement away, you sound like you have experience working with children in an alternative context so that should look great on your application- what courses have you been looking at, for a PGCE they shouldn't reject you just because you don't have experience in UK primary schools.

Also here's the thread for 2021 applicants https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6522386 Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for the info and reassurance! I have actually been looking at the Edinburgh PGDE (although I'm currently living in England). I'm not sure whether they have the same policy as the rest of the UK. Either way it's such a competitive course and I just feel my application won't be strong enough without experience. Following the 2021 thread now - thanks again!
hmoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamThatJam)
Hey,

Thank you very much for the info and reassurance! I have actually been looking at the Edinburgh PGDE (although I'm currently living in England). I'm not sure whether they have the same policy as the rest of the UK. Either way it's such a competitive course and I just feel my application won't be strong enough without experience. Following the 2021 thread now - thanks again!

(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hi hmoc.

Do not panic about getting experience, you have a whole other year to get some before you start your teacher training and we can help you gain this if you contact the Get Into Teaching number on 0800 389 2500 and ask for an advisor. I'm surprised they have said this is compulsory, especially in these times, but it's easily sorted, you just may need to get time off work or use some annual leave in order to achieve this.

Cheers
Dan
Thank you Dan! I will contact Get Into Teaching. I am also looking into the Scottish PGDE - do you know whether there is a Scottish equivalent to the Get Into Teaching advisors? Also, do you think it would be realistic to get some work experience in September time so I can include it in my application? I'm hoping to apply by Christmas at least. Then I'm very happy to spend the rest of the year continuing work experience. Sorry for the barrage of questions! Many thanks again.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hmoc)

Thank you Dan! I will contact Get Into Teaching. I am also looking into the Scottish PGDE - do you know whether there is a Scottish equivalent to the Get Into Teaching advisors? Also, do you think it would be realistic to get some work experience in September time so I can include it in my application? I'm hoping to apply by Christmas at least. Then I'm very happy to spend the rest of the year continuing work experience. Sorry for the barrage of questions! Many thanks again.
Hi hmoc

For more information about teaching in Scotland, visit https://teachinscotland.scot

If you want to apply for a combination of English and Scottish training providers, the Get Into Teaching Service can help!

Good Luck!

Sue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (189)
38.57%
Take autumn exams (150)
30.61%
Look for a job (17)
3.47%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.29%
Take a year out (85)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed