The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is not supporting gay rights homophobic?

Is it? If I respect gays but think homosexuality is wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Respect means treating them equally so you cannot respect them if you disagree with gay rights.
Put simply, yes. Not wanting someone to have the same rights as you because you think it's wrong is homophobic.
(edited 3 years ago)
sorry yes it is homophobic.
Reply 4
Original post by Guru Jason
Respect means treating them equally so you cannot respect them if you disagree with gay rights.

I think we should not have alcohol but I respect those who do. How is this any different?
Yes, it is. Gay rights are human rights; if you believe that queer people should not have the same rights as cis, straight people (eg marriage, adoption, freedom from discrimination in the workplace) then you're not respectful of queer people as people.
Original post by FMFMFM123
I think we should not have alcohol but I respect those who do. How is this any different?

Because you're suggesting that those who don't live their lives exactly how you do deserve have less rights than you.

In your analogy here, it would be like saying you respect those don't drink alcohol, but they shouldn't be allowed to go to Uni.

Why do you get to choose what they can and can't do? Who gave you that power?

It's not. You dont have to drink alcohol and that is your choice but you cannot force that choice into others. You do not have to be gay or even like it but you have no right to deny others the same rights as you have
I bet you think they should go to hell as well.
Reply 9
Original post by sam.hop

In your analogy here, it would be like saying you respect those don't drink alcohol, but they shouldn't be allowed to go to Uni.

Not really. I’m saying they can drink and do it but I cannot say it’s right. If someone’s drinking, are you saying I cannot say that it’s wrong to drink?
I don’t have the right to say what I think is wrong respectfully?
Reply 10
Original post by DiddyDec
I bet you think they should go to hell as well.

Nope
that's the definition of homophobia
Nope

Looks like I lost the bet :lol:
Reply 13
Original post by Guru Jason
It's not. You dont have to drink alcohol and that is your choice but you cannot force that choice into others. You do not have to be gay or even like it but you have no right to deny others the same rights as you have

I’m not forcing anything on anyone. I’m just saying that what they are doing is wrong. I can argue why it’s wrong. I cannot force anyone to quit drinking or smoking but I can argue that they are wrong.
(edited 3 years ago)
The issue here is that your title and your first post are asking two different things.
If you don’t support gay rights then yes, you are homophobic no matter what the reason you give.

And the statement that you respect them but think they are wrong are mutually exclusive.

You are allowed to Think whatever you like but it does make you homophobic.
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m forcing anything on anyone. I’m just saying that what they are doing is wrong. I can argue why it’s wrong. I cannot force anyone to quit drinking or smoking but I can argue that they are wrong.

But that's not the same as "not supporting drinkers' rights"? For example, I could believe that drinking alcohol is wrong, but also defend drinkers' rights to free NHS treatment, or to visit their children. Saying that you're not going to force people to stop the thing you disagree with (ie homosexuality) is actually a really low bar here.
(edited 3 years ago)
What do you mean by you don't support gay rights? Do you think it should be illegal or do you just not agree with homosexuality?
I’m forcing anything on anyone. I’m just saying that what they are doing is wrong. I can argue why it’s wrong. I cannot force anyone to quit drinking or smoking but I can argue that they are wrong.

Ok, can you argue with me why you think why gay rights is wrong and you wont support it? Think about all the rights you have and ask yourself why gay people should have them.

Think about being in a relationship.
Think about marraige.
Think about tax breaks for married couples.

Why should straight people about allowed the things mentioned about but gay people shouldn't when in eof the above actively affects you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by LordFahid
What do you mean by you don't support gay rights? Do you think it should be illegal or do you just not agree with homosexuality?

Just not agree with homosexuality. People can do whatever they want and the people of a country should decide what should be legal or not. In a country where it’s legal, what can stop me from saying it’s wrong? I can still tell people what I think about it even if everyone agrees, I could still disagree? Isn’t that freedom of speech? I’m not insulting or judging anyone, I’m giving my opinion on something they think is right and I think it’s not.
(Original post by sam.hop)Not really. I’m saying they can drink and do it but I cannot say it’s right. If someone’s drinking, are you saying I cannot say that it’s wrong to drink?
I don’t have the right to say what I think is wrong respectfully?

I think you're getting a bit confused by the term gay rights.

You have the right to express your beliefs and what you feel is/isn't wrong, but you don't have the right to dictate how other people should be allowed to live.

In answer to your question "Is not supporting gay rights homophobic?" the answer is yes. Because, unlike your drinking analogy, if you don't support gay rights, you're saying LGBTQ+ people shouldn't have the same rights as you. AKA shouldn't be allowed to live authentically/adopt/marry etc.

If your stance, like drinking, is that you personally believe homosexuality is wrong, but you also think your personal belief shouldn't dictate whether or not people are allowed to be gay, then you should be pro gay-rights.

I don't know how else to explain it. You asked the question, the answer is yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending