AS Chem Tests

Watch this thread
username5322502
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I saw that I have some notes on tests for AS Chemistry, hope these are useful for whoever's struggling with figuring out which ions/elements are present

Test for sulfate ions -add dilute HCL (hydrochloric acid)
-add BaCl2 (barium chloride)
-white precipitate of BaSO4 (barium sulfate) should form if sulfate ions are present

Removing sulfur dioxide; converting it into sulfurtrioxide -react with CaO (calcium oxide) SO2+CaO+H2O->CaSO3+2H20 -or react with CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) SO2+CaCO3+H20->CaSO3+2H2O+CO2

Test for Metal ions -dip nichrome wire in concentrated HCl (hydrochloric acid)
-then dip into compound
CA2+ (calcium) ions = BRICK RED
SR2+ (strontium) ions = RED
BA2+ (barium) ions = PALE GREEN

Ammonia and hydroxide ions -damp RED litmus paper turns BLUE

For solution containing NH3 ions -Add NAOH (sodium hydroxide) -Heat, see ammonia gas being given off

Test for Carbonate ions -Add dilute HCl, see fizzing, connect it to limewater -CO2 bubbles through to limewater making it cloudy

Test for carboxylic acid add sodium carbonate effervescence and evolves co2

Test for aldehyde Tollens reagent<- Silvermirror turns aldehyde to carboxylic acid

Fehling's solution<- Blue to brick red
Last edited by username5322502; 1 year ago
izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Make sure that you test in the correct order: carbonate → sulfate → halide - this will avoid any false-positives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (43)
15.09%
The paper was reasonable (145)
50.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (69)
24.21%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
9.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise