Student Accommodation - What Did You Wish You Knew?

Watch
MyPadPaisley
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So every year we get a new influx at MyPad of brand new residents. To help them move in, we're creating a little "packing list". To those of you who have lived in student accommodation, what do you wish you'd packed, brought with you, or bought when you arrived? Any tips for new arrivals you'd like to share? We'd love your feedback!

Gill @ MyPad Paisley
Voxdei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MyPadPaisley)
So every year we get a new influx at MyPad of brand new residents. To help them move in, we're creating a little "packing list". To those of you who have lived in student accommodation, what do you wish you'd packed, brought with you, or bought when you arrived? Any tips for new arrivals you'd like to share? We'd love your feedback!

Gill @ MyPad Paisley
Door wedges for blocking the door open outside my room, not to have it slam when the hordes returned from the pub/late at night, Ditto as the doors were self, closing, door wedges for when one was bringing in drinks (of the scalding kind)
Lather
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ear muffs. Drunk people are loud.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Extension leads! My accommodation often lacked plugs and having a few extension leads meant I could plug things in (chargers, fairy lights if allowed, lamps etc) all around my room
Voxdei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MyPadPaisley)

Gill @ MyPad Paisley
Huge packs of QUIES, the French ear plugs (made of wax). They are the best, the crappy ones that are used for swimming do not work for noise. Valerian root tranquilisers. Telephone number for noise abatement at the local council.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
A few ones I've come to find very helpful:

• Earplugs/Earmuffs - many student accommodations have some sort of noise going on at any given time

• Cheap microwave for your room (if you're allowed) - sometimes the kitchen can be busy when you planned to cook, so I've found having a microwave to quickly stick something in stops me from saying "screw it. I'm hungry. I'll order a takeaway".

• A bag/container with every kind of tablet/medication you may suddenly require at short notice if you're unwell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (63)
40.91%
Take autumn exams (54)
35.06%
Look for a job (4)
2.6%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.6%
Take a year out (20)
12.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.84%

Watched Threads