Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There are some unis i really like up north but are really far away so my parents refuse to take me/come see me. The trains are ok but are really expensive so i'm not really sure what to do!
Mosaic4
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There are some unis i really like up north but are really far away so my parents refuse to take me/come see me. The trains are ok but are really expensive so i'm not really sure what to do!
There are lots of virtual open days on at the moment. Can you go to some of those so you can try and get a feel for the unis you prefer. Then hopefully you only have to travel to one or two if the actual physical open days are on again in the autumn.
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Use megabus or national express for the cost issue?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kinder Bueno)
Your parents are being a little selfish, but pay for the travel yourself and attend uni. Are there no universities close to home though?
Hi thank you for your reply, yeh it is annoying tbh. There are universities closer to home which i'm going to apply to but a couple i really like/can see myself liking better are up North.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Diplomatic)
Use megabus or national express for the cost issue?
Hi thanks, that's a good idea, i never thought of that. I will have a look!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Definitely go for the uni you feel best suits you.

You only get to do these few years once (for "free" anyway) so don't let your parents or anyone else influence your decision.

Oh, and as someone who's experienced two northern universities I can honestly say they're a great experience.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are some unis i really like up north but are really far away so my parents refuse to take me/come see me.
A lot of people would consider this to be an advantage.

Remember that probably half of the students at a given university will be a lot further away from home and their parents than you will be, so if you're both in England you're still pretty close by those standards. I had to take a plane then a train for my undergrad uni, I only returned home every term, and less than that during my final few years, and my parents didn't visit the city until my graduation. That's a very normal situation (other than the plane) for students across England.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had the same issue. I secured a place at Kings in London but lived up North and eventually settled for a uni up North (Liverpool) because of parental pressure. I have always regretted that decision.

Having said that, there are some great unis up North - Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle and even further up North, Strathclyde, Glasgow and Edinburgh to name a few.

If you check out the train fares on a site called https://www.thetrainline.com/ you can find bargain prices - especially if you book in advance and book two singles rather than a return ticket. The coaches are also now quite good - toilets and free wifi.

You will only do one undergrad course so follow your heart and tell your parents to stop being such meanies.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!

Definitely take a coach instead or get a railcard which gives you huge discounts on train tickets. If you buy them in advance as well it will be cheaper (try to buy them over 2 days in advance). If you are looking into getting a student account (overdraft) then see if any banks offer free railcards when you open a student account with them.

Erin - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
I had the same issue. I secured a place at Kings in London but lived up North and eventually settled for a uni up North (Liverpool) because of parental pressure. I have always regretted that decision.

Having said that, there are some great unis up North - Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle and even further up North, Strathclyde, Glasgow and Edinburgh to name a few.

If you check out the train fares on a site called https://www.thetrainline.com/ you can find bargain prices - especially if you book in advance and book two singles rather than a return ticket. The coaches are also now quite good - toilets and free wifi.

You will only do one undergrad course so follow your heart and tell your parents to stop being such meanies.
May I ask why you regretted going to Liverpool. Ive firmed it and want to know how you found it please
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
May I ask why you regretted going to Liverpool. Ive firmed it and want to know how you found it please
Hi, I have no regrets about going to Liverpool. It's a top uni and a wonderful city. Please don't be put off going there. I also wanted to go to London just to see what it would be like living in the capital. My issue was more personal in that I allowed my mum to use emotional blackmail to force me to go to Liverpool to be near home.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (191)
38.74%
Take autumn exams (151)
30.63%
Look for a job (17)
3.45%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.26%
Take a year out (85)
17.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.68%

Watched Threads