What do i need to learn before going to university?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok, so im likely going to be starting university in late september - although that isnt definite at the moment- and something Im very concerned about is that Im not 'grown up' enough to start living on my own. Like Im not proud to say it but Im very very unknowledgeable when it comes to things like cooking and cleaning. Its currently the beginning of July so I have the best part of 3 months to essentially become nore independent. Can anyone give me advice on what I should learn over the next few monthsthat would put me in a better position for uni. Like how to cook certain stuff and how to clean certain things. Looking back now Im a bit bothered by the fact that i havent really done enough for myself growing up and I have been a bit too reliant on my parents for most things. Im determined to become more independent from this day onwards. So yeah if anyone could give me a list of important stuff that i should learn ocer the next few months that would be great thanks.
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would learn a few basic pasta recipes maybe things that include a carb base like pasta or rice. You can add different things to these to make different meals. Do this at home. Make your family dinner from a new recipe you learn and do cleaning up yourself after. Things like basic washing up I would assume you know how to do. Cleaning isn’t really that difficult. You’re gonna want dettol spray and cleaning clothes for your shower in your flat and maybe like bleach or a toilet duck. Fabreeze can also hide a multitude of sins. You will probably have washing machines on site which you can use and it’s not too difficult to figure out how to use. Have 2 duvet covers so you can have one clean one on while you get a chance to clean the other. I would only advise having 2 tea towels max for the same reason and one bathroom towel. Anything else you’re unsure of?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's a good thing to recognise this before you go off to uni! A lot of people don't realise this until they get there (or even later)

For cleaning stuff it's more a case of making sure you don't mix any cleaning products (this is extremely dangerous), and also just doing it. Also don't just do "obvious" surfaces/jobs...you do need to clean the bottom of the toilet bowl, behind the sink, etc, declog the drains every once in a while, use limescale remover on the shower head periodically. For keeping things tidy I find it's usually easiest to just keep on top of things as you go - if you could do any tidying/minor cleaning job in under 2 minutes at the time, do it then instead of leaving it for later! Even just something as simple as leaving your clean laundry out instead of putting it away, or leaving a dirty dish in the sink can very quickly lead to things appearing very messy as stuff piles up (literally and metaphorically). Make a point of vacuuming once a week...that way even if for some reason you miss out a week, it won't get away from you (and you can do quicker and less thorough vacuuming jobs if you do it regularly).

Learn to cook some basic things that can be easily "spruced up" with whatever you have available - rice, pasta, couscous, various egg dishes, some basic meat/vegetable options, stuff like that. Also learn a couple of slightly more involved/dedicated recipes for things you particularly like eating - then you have something you can make for other people that is more involved, or for yourself if you feel like doing something a bit out of the ordinary it's probably not worth learning to make various sauces from scratch though because they're pretty easily bought in shops otherwise (although I do think this is a pretty essential skill to learn if you do want to cook "properly", for uni purposes it's superfluous).

Bear in mind that while beef steak/similar whole cuts of meat can be cooked "rare" by thoroughly cooking/searing the surface but leaving the interior more raw, chicken needs to be cooked all the way through no matter what. This is because chicken and beef (also maybe lamb, I honestly don't cook with lamb much so idk) have different pathogens than beef which in chicken may be present in the flesh and not just on the surface. Minced beef and other minced meat however also always needs to be cooked all the way through, as the mincing process can introduce pathogens from the surface of the original meat cut into the "middle" of the mince bits. Pork (including gammon) in theory nowadays can be cooked like beef as the parasites that led to the earlier practice of really thoroughly cooking pork/gammon all the way through have been eliminated in British pork as I understand, but in practice most people will still cook it all the way though as has been done historically (in no small part because the parasites in question caused really nasty illnesses).

Also figure out what you need to do your laundry; probably easiest if you just use the same products your household does currently, unless you are sure you don't have any skin sensitivity issues that might be set off by that. You can pretty much just separate your laundry into whites/every thing else, since nowadays clothing is usually made with dyes that don't run when machine washed and don't fade much, so there is less of a need to have brights/darks/whites separated. On a related note try to have two sets of bed linens...otherwise you may end up sleeping without bedsheets for a night if you wash them and don't have access to a tumble dryer (or if for some reason they don't fully dry through in there)
Galdiowolf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also look over your uni reading list, and get the relevant books for modules.
frannie_bot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say to have a go at doing the laundry at least once before you go just so you know what temperature to put it at and what can or can't go in the dryer. Maybe also have a go at cooking some easy meals at home like an omelet, sausages and veg or a pasta bake.
For cleaning I wouldn't worry too much since most uni accomodation is cleaned regularly anyway... you probably only need a couple of cloths and antibac surface spray
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (190)
38.62%
Take autumn exams (151)
30.69%
Look for a job (17)
3.46%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.27%
Take a year out (85)
17.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.69%

Watched Threads