Turn on thread page Beta

Is this for real?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looking at advertising firms in London, i came across one called Ogilvy. On their recruitment website, there is a tongue in cheek Q and A section. Now is this just my sordid mind, or is it actually suggesting (even in a jokey tone) that you spend your golden handshake on cocaine?! (http://fellows.ogilvy.co.uk/)-scroll down to the paragraphs just above the picture of palace soldiers standing to attention.

Quote: Question: Best place to blow the golden handshake?
    Answer: ...this seems to be a rather personal question but I would suggest you blow it in the privacy of at least a concealed stationery cupboard or .....2nd floor toilets again?

I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

ReputationRep:
    site doesnt work

ReputationRep:
    They're talking about masturbating not cocaine.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like they're just trying to come across as a fun place to work for young people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick Puppy)
    sounds like they're just trying to come across as a fun place to work for young people
    Yeah, but even so it did seem to me that they'd pushed it too far if they were indeed talking about coke use rather than masturbation, especially given that the industry is notorious for the quantities of Peru's finest that it's denizens ingest.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    It's a jokey reference to sex. not cocaine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albiceleste)
    Yeah, but even so it did seem to me that they'd pushed it too far if they were indeed talking about coke use rather than masturbation, especially given that the industry is notorious for the quantities of Peru's finest that it's denizens ingest.
    no they were clearly talking about masturbation

If you can't see the humour in their jokes then maybe you shouldn't apply to work there :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick Puppy)
    no they were clearly talking about masturbation

If you can't see the humour in their jokes then maybe you shouldn't apply to work there :p:
    I won't be applying there, you don't even need a degree for it ffs. The warning bells start to ring when any company says that they don't care about academics and are completely focused on 'people skills.'

ReputationRep:
    I won't be applying there, you don't even need a degree for it ffs. The warning bells start to ring when any company says that they don't care about academics and are completely focused on 'people skills.'
    alright calm down!

don't bother making a thread about it next time then :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd much rather hire someone who had usable skills and experience than one who had a piece of paper with no experience.

ReputationRep:
    WPP Group own Oglivy, and yes in advertising no one gives a flying **** about having stellar academics, which to be frank are useless once your in full time employment/career.

Do some research into how successful both those companies are and then reflect on whether those 'warning bells' mean anything.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.