GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am thinking of applying to Cambridge this year to study law. I am due to get my predicted grades next week. I have already discussed with my teachers that I am aiming for A*AA that Cambridge requires. Yet still, my family don't think that I'm "Oxbridge material" (whatever that means) because my GCSEs "Aren't good enough" despite the fact that I have progressed to be able to predict myself A*AA (at our exams before lockdown I got ABB, and after a term of lockdown, my work has progressed to AAA, so I feel that in a year I should be able to get at least one A*). I got one A* four As two Bs and two Cs at GCSE. I know that there are many other factors that Cambridge look at when considering you for interview, but one thing I do know is that they care about academic progress, so if you have the fairly decent GCSE grades that I do but can manage to be predicted A*AA or higher then they'll look at you. Right?
Last edited by GillisRobbieWGS; 1 month ago
Studentboy1333
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What subjects do you do at A-level? It depends whether these are soft or traditional and also If u get predicted 2A*+ this is kind of a form of security for the interview I've heard. To br honest though they interview a fair amount of candidates and you'd only not be called for interview if there is about 80% applicants with better grades at GCSE than you and it's hard to predict whether 80% of Cambridge Law applicants will have GCSEs better than yours and stronger A-level subjects but it seems likely for such a competitive course like Law
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on your subject and how competitive it is a bit, but on the whole Cambridge doesn't value GCSEs as much as Oxford does - I got a place with

6 A*, 2A, B, C

so it's definitely worth a shot, and I'd guess that you probably would be interviewed as long as any pre-interview assessments are good enough.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are predicted at least A*AA, then it is likely we will seriously consider whether to invite you to interview. One thing that will assist our decision making is your educational context. If your results were very high for your school, then we are much more likely to consider you than if they were mediocre or weak.
2500_2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
I am thinking of applying to Cambridge this year to study law. I am due to get my predicted grades next week. I have already discussed with my teachers that I am aiming for A*AA that Cambridge requires. Yet still, my family don't think that I'm "Oxbridge material" (whatever that means) because my GCSEs "Aren't good enough" despite the fact that I have progressed to be able to predict myself A*AA (at our exams before lockdown I got ABB, and after a term of lockdown, my work has progressed to AAA, so I feel that in a year I should be able to get at least one A*). I got one A* four As two Bs and two Cs at GCSE. I know that there are many other factors that Cambridge look at when considering you for interview, but one thing I do know is that they care about academic progress, so if you have the fairly decent GCSE grades that I do but can manage to be predicted A*AA or higher then they'll look at you. Right?
Although this is now a few years old, it gives useful real evidence to judge your application against.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Studentboy1333)
What subjects do you do at A-level? It depends whether these are soft or traditional and also If u get predicted 2A*+ this is kind of a form of security for the interview I've heard. To br honest though they interview a fair amount of candidates and you'd only not be called for interview if there is about 80% applicants with better grades at GCSE than you and it's hard to predict whether 80% of Cambridge Law applicants will have GCSEs better than yours and stronger A-level subjects but it seems likely for such a competitive course like Law
I do English Literature, French and History
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
It depends on your subject and how competitive it is a bit, but on the whole Cambridge doesn't value GCSEs as much as Oxford does - I got a place with

6 A*, 2A, B, C

so it's definitely worth a shot, and I'd guess that you probably would be interviewed as long as any pre-interview assessments are good enough.
Cheers!

(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
If you are predicted at least A*AA, then it is likely we will seriously consider whether to invite you to interview. One thing that will assist our decision making is your educational context. If your results were very high for your school, then we are much more likely to consider you than if they were mediocre or weak.
Thank you very much!
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
Although this is now a few years old, it gives useful real evidence to judge your application against.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
This is absolutely fantastic! It's only two years old so that's okay. Thank you!
Studentboy1333
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
I do English Literature, French and History
all 3 of those are really strong subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (197)
38.86%
Take autumn exams (154)
30.37%
Look for a job (17)
3.35%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.14%
Take a year out (88)
17.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.92%

Watched Threads