what degree to do before applying for dentistry as a postgraduate?

Watch
MFTV
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'd like to study dentistry, its something im very passionate about. Im currently doing Alevels in biology chemistry and psychology, however doubt i will meet the entry requirements of AAA, and likely to get more AAB-BBB.
Is it worth applying for another degree, then later on applying for dentistry having completed a first degree?
If so which science related course would be suitable? I was thinking maybe anatomy/human biology?
I was also looking into dental therapy/hygiene as this also intrests me giving that it is dentistry related, however i've heard some universities don't like taking on dentistry applicants with a dental therapy degree, does anyone know if this is true?
I've also seen that dental therapy is also tough in terms of getting a place on the course, so I can't decide which option is best for me?
username4308466
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Anything biology / chemkstry might be a cool idea as well as bio med
MFTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by wellgwellg123)
Anything biology / chemkstry might be a cool idea as well as bio med
yess thats what i thought too. Thanks
student.28
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As long as the course is mainly science based I don’t think they mind, I’ve heard of someone get a place on the post grad course this year who’s done hygiene/therapy as a Bsc before, I think a few have so it’s definitely doable
MFTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by student.28)
As long as the course is mainly science based I don’t think they mind, I’ve heard of someone get a place on the post grad course this year who’s done hygiene/therapy as a Bsc before, I think a few have so it’s definitely doable
great, thanks
MFTV
Rep:
?
Do you know wheather it was the graduate entry,4v year dentistry programme they got a place on? or was it the regular 5 year programme?
thanks
student.28
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MFTV)

Do you know wheather it was the graduate entry,4v year dentistry programme they got a place on? or was it the regular 5 year programme?
thanks
I’ve heard of people getting accepted onto both, I’m hopefully starting dental hygiene/therapy in September so if you have any questions regarding applying for the course, feel free to ask or pm me.
Dentalmentoruk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MFTV)
I'd like to study dentistry, its something im very passionate about. Im currently doing Alevels in biology chemistry and psychology, however doubt i will meet the entry requirements of AAA, and likely to get more AAB-BBB.
Is it worth applying for another degree, then later on applying for dentistry having completed a first degree?
If so which science related course would be suitable? I was thinking maybe anatomy/human biology?
I was also looking into dental therapy/hygiene as this also intrests me giving that it is dentistry related, however i've heard some universities don't like taking on dentistry applicants with a dental therapy degree, does anyone know if this is true?
I've also seen that dental therapy is also tough in terms of getting a place on the course, so I can't decide which option is best for me?
Hi,
I took the graduate entry route into dentistry and it is extremely competitive. I believe there are roughly 69 places in the country now that Liverpool do not offer the 4 year dental course anymore.

My advice would be to concentrate your energy on getting the best grades possible at A-level. You might surprise yourself and get better than you thought.
You can then consider a gap year to retake your exams and improve your A-level grades. You would need to apply for unis that allow for retakes at A-levels.
You can apply to 4 and 5 year dental courses after having done a science degree but you would need to check that the science degree meets the requirements for the graduate entry dentistry courses. Also remember that the graduate entry route will be more costly and if you don't get into dentistry you need to be happy using the science degree for another career.
Yahyam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
I am thinking about taking the undergraduate route to dentistry can you tell me how hard do you think it will be to get into a 4 or 5 year dentistry course and what I have to do after a degree in something like biomedical sciences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads