rubicksplane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm going into Y12 next year and am currently planning on taking physics, biology, chemistry and maths A Level. I'm positive I want to do something within the field of 'science' but I haven't managed to narrow it down from there. Thing is, I didn't really enjoy GCSE chemistry as much as physics, bio and maths. But any time I suggest not doing chem for A Level, everyone (friends, teachers, parents etc) strongly advise against not doing it as I would close off quite a few science degree and career paths. Also I have never met someone who just does bio and physics together - always seems to be bio and chem or chem and physics. On the other hand, I've been told if you don't enjoy chemistry A Level, it's hell. And I don't not enjoy it, I just don't know if I enjoy it enough. So just wondering if anyone did just bio and phys, what your experience was and what you went on to do?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i wouldn't do it if you don't enjoy it- it's a tough a level and you'll probably find it harder if you don't have an interest in the subject. biology and physics is an unusual combination, yes but it won't close that many doors.
Anonymous778
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
To be honest I don’t know why everyone makes out like it’s impossible. i find it easier than bio , maths and geography a levels
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i did bio chem and maths for a level and i found chem the hardest by farrrr! just make sure to keep on top of content, understand it, make notes/flashcards and practise end of topic questions
Dechante
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I took biology, chemistry and psychology A level and truth be told you have to like the subjects at GCSE to like them at A level. I found that year 13 chemistry was way better than year 12 and found this was the year everything started to click and make sense for me. Everyone says biology is easier but I preferred chemistry. Chemistry is more application based and learning the patterns in the exams whereas biology you have to learn the facts and the mark schemes are highly specific. I knew someone in my year who took bio, chemistry, physics and maths but dropped bio halfway through year 12 and is planning on doing engineering but it doesn't really seem to be a popular combination bc that's the only person I know who did it tbh. Lots of people I know did physics and maths (I don't think I knew anyone who didn't do maths A level if they did physics) and they went on to do maths degrees or physics. People who did chemistry and maths went on to chemical engineering (quite a few people actually), mechanical engineering, accounting. Bio and chemistry is very popular with most people in my classes taking both and they are hoping to go onto medicine, BioMed, biochemistry, biological science, zoology and nutrition. The options are endless with science A levels but I personally am going to study neuroscience as I love biology and psychology but I will miss A level chemistry but your heart has to be in it already to love it.
username5322502
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's going to sound weird but i liked a level chemistry more than gcse chemistry... the parts about mineral/water extraction and development of atom in gcse chemistry was so boring then a level chemistry came in with mechanisms and acids/bases and buffers which was so much more interesting .

But if you don't like chemistry then don't do it !!!
Dechante
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by astayuno)
It's going to sound weird but i liked a level chemistry more than gcse chemistry... the parts about mineral/water extraction and development of atom in gcse chemistry was so boring then a level chemistry came in with mechanisms and acids/bases and buffers which was so much more interesting .

But if you don't like chemistry then don't do it !!!
tbh so did I especially the year 13 part of A level chemistry and everything you learn at GCSE kinda gets juxtaposed in year 12 chemistry
username5322502
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Dechante)
tbh so did I especially the year 13 part of A level chemistry and everything you learn at GCSE kinda gets juxtaposed in year 12 chemistry
Yeah, even the basic electron shells 2,8,8... goes to 1s2,2s2,2p6... so much more easier to get your head around it once you understand em
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (21)
18.58%
I'm not sure (2)
1.77%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (32)
28.32%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.65%
I'm not a current university student (55)
48.67%

Watched Threads