The Student Room Group

Art college course without higher art

I sat my highers in 2018 and i got a D in Higher art, none of my class passed as our teacher was not the best and wouldn’t tell us specifics he would just say “draw”. in 2019 i did advanced higher art instead of resitting higher because my teachers told me my work was good enough. i ended up failing. for the last year i was taking a college course in animation but ended up not liking it and want to do art instead. my issue is all HND courses want a c at higher (fife college, edinburgh college & forth valley) which i obviously don’t have, is it worth contacting the colleges with my portfolio and asking if i can sit the HND, or should I just sit an NC course
Definitely contact them! If they say no then at least you’ve tried, and I’m sure at least 1 will take pity on you and give you a chance!
If you got a D you weren’t far off!
I actually think you should just apply, include your best work and your D, you weren’t far off and they’ll understand that! In the meantime you should take courses in art and try get work experience- after lockdown-, I want to go into teaching and I’ve been using the courses on ‘future learn’ it probably has tons of art courses! If you do these you can include it when applying or speaking to collages and they’ll know that your committed and persistent in art being what you want to do! Worst come worst resis the higher art! I’m sure you would get a better grade the second time round and it wouldn’t be too hard, even if you’ve left school just do it out if school and make your own portfolio, I know people who’ve done this although o don’t know the politics behind it!
I know this is long hope it helps!
Best of luck x

Quick Reply

Latest