The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
how sad is this guy hes like 60 years old and hes making videos on youtube about the end of the world... i swear il never stop being amazed at how sad elderly people are
Reply 61
Sports Racer
The Mayan Long Count calendar ends in 2012. So of course, when something ends, it means the world ends with it too. Umm.. Hmm.. Take our calandar. When that ends, we don't die but rather get drunk, reset to Jan 1 and start another year. So really, what we'll see is 12.12.12.12 -> 13.0.0.0.0

However, there is a bit more complexity to this. The Mayans were extremely good astronomers as well as very religious/spiritual individuals. From what I understand, they said that in 2012 the Earth will enter a new 'galactic day' (we're currently at night heading towards morning) when it shall enter the brightness of the central star which once every 5xxx years pulses energy to keep all other stars in beat. This will make our Sun really bright and cause us to spiritually awaken.

I don't understand how a spiritual awakening or entering a new age translates to death and destuction.

So everyone is saying that a solar flare will wipe us out, but I find it hard to believe. The Earth's atmosphere is pretty good at absorbing all those evil rays. Plus, when a solar flare does occur, I remember reading that scientists are predicting it will be medium strength at best, meaning we won't get hit as badly as that one a few years back which wiped out some sattelites and caused the power grid in Canada to break for a few hours.

Dodgy Disclaimer: All of the above may not be true as I'm remembering articles from a while back :woo:

This is pretty much the theory in essence, the Mayans were an advanced race; personally I'd be quite happy with a spiritual awakening, or it could just be a symbolic date for something we're "missing"
Reply 62
floralpulp
It's the way the Mayan calendar works, it's not just random bunch of dates.

Sure sure sure.
Reply 63
DeSiFiEd
I don't support the theory even though I've read on it, but really your presumption that price rises are due to people believing this theory is ridiculous, your probably one of the ones that thinks there is an energy crisis, overpopulation etc...seriously, read.

No, i'm not a malthusian. You read.
Oh come on! How likely is this going to happen? To be honest, NO ONE SHOULD BELIEVE THE MAYANS! Because there are no more Mayans on Earth this day and age, thus the Mayan calendar is extinct. Thus their theory of the "world ending on 21.12.12" won't happen.
Reply 65
DeSiFiEd
lol I was just putting forth some of the reading and research I'd done on the topic; there's no real evidence of pole-shifts so no-one can really give any true predictions.

See here.

DeSiFiEd
Mayans are interesting though, as they were a very advanced civilisation, some of their works really does make you wonder where they learnt all this.
They were advanced for their times, but they weren't advanced in comparison to how we are now. Every culture, subculture and religion both in the past and now have their own ideas on how the world's going to end, among various other things... they can't all be valid.

DeSiFiEd
Again planetary alignment is a fact, do some research on "normal" news websites, it was in the metro 4months ago in their Science section for example..:rolleyes:

Lawlz news websites? They're renowned for their expertise and lack of bias aren't they? It's a physical impossibility for planetary alignment to happen; just have a look at a three-dimensional model of the planets' orbits and you'll see. If you mean two-dimensional alignment, then that's possible but not going to happen in 2012, and I'd imagine that it bears no significance to anything in real terms.

DeSiFiEd
Who knows, our third eye might be unlocked on the date, we could all burn, or we could all be at the pub.

We'll have to wait and see :biggrin:
Reply 66
At least it won't happen in the middle of the Olympics.
Reply 67
Jean_Paul
Sure sure sure.

I'm just going to ignore that and pretend you do know it's the way the Mayan calendar works. :smile:
a switch in the poles of earth's magnetic field itself wouldnt kill us. it might mess with certain animal's senses like homing pidgeons but thats about it, the danger is that if the change isnt clean it could leave parts of the atmosphere exposed allowing the lethal cosmic radiation in........and yes then we are screwed, but its unlikely, and if the mayans were able to base a calendar on it then it must have happened before............and were are all here now

some very sketchy science i just posted, so it might not actually be correct, but as far as i know........lol
Reply 69
nuodai
See here.

They were advanced for their times, but they weren't advanced in comparison to how we are now. Every culture, subculture and religion both in the past and now have their own ideas on how the world's going to end, among various other things... they can't all be valid.

Lawlz news websites? They're renowned for their expertise and lack of bias aren't they? It's a physical impossibility for planetary alignment to happen; just have a look at a three-dimensional model of the planets' orbits and you'll see. If you mean two-dimensional alignment, then that's possible but not going to happen in 2012, and I'd imagine that it bears no significance to anything in real terms.

We'll have to wait and see :biggrin:

A civilisation that could map out the solar system accurately with none of the gadgets we have now? That is incredibly advanced, how they got so accurate on this is anyone's guess.

News and scientific research proves that the planets do align...just like how the moon eclipses, that is an incredibly poor argument IMO. I'm looking for something that changed my views on this (as I was given a 3D model of the universe as a kid and tried to mess around with it to create a mock up of the situation :p: )

Wait and see is all we have, as I've said, I think the world needs some form of awakening.
Well we lived through the millenium and 6/6/6 so I reckon we'll all be fine.
Reply 71
DeSiFiEd
The Bible is a matter of interpretation, and a LOT of Revelations could be possible clues, e.g. the mark of the beast.

Your post count is 1,666. It's the mark of the beast!
nuodai
I can't wait for the turn of 2013, when 2012 will have passed and all of the New Age nutcases (among others) will be disappointed that everything they'd been working themselves up about was utter twoddle.

Thing is, new age nutcases rarely go through the disillusionment you'll expect. They'll claim that the prophecy didn't come true because arrogant humans tried to predict it, and then move on to a new prophecy and the cycle continues.
skinzta
This reminds me of the Bible Code prophecies, where certain individuals saw a code in the Bible and predicted that the world would end from a nuclear holocaust in 2006.... I rest my case.

haha yeah you just reminded me of that, it's also a bit like the 2000 thing. ******** i reckon.

Latest

Trending

Trending