This discussion is closed.
username5273118
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
1) Describe three ways in which the physical properties of the transition metals are similar to the physical properties of the alkali metals.
2) Describe three ways in which the chemical properties of the transition metals are similar to the chemical properties of the alkali metals.
3) Describe two ways in which the physical properties of the transition metals are different to the physical properties of the alkali metals.
4) Describe three ways in which the chemical properties of the transition metals are different to the chemical properties of the alkali metals.
5) State three uses of transition metals (or their compounds).

I am not cheating. I did the the rest of the 50 questions.
username5273118
Rep:
?
1) Describe three ways in which the physical properties of the transition metals are similar to the physical properties of the alkali metals.
2) Describe three ways in which the chemical properties of the transition metals are similar to the chemical properties of the alkali metals.
3) Describe two ways in which the physical properties of the transition metals are different to the physical properties of the alkali metals.
4) Describe three ways in which the chemical properties of the transition metals are different to the chemical properties of the alkali metals.
username5273118
Rep:
?
glowing_starfish
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Help = google
GabiAbi84
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe try looking in your course book...
username5273118
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Maybe try looking in your course book...
Couldn't find them...
:¬|
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Exite)
Couldn't find them...
:¬|
Does it have an index section?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Make a lot of the features of transition metals and group 1 and 2 metals, then compare and contrast the differences.
Transition metals are used as catalyst in chemical and industrial processes (catalysis), in mineral supplements, (Vitamin B12 is a cobalt complex ion) rechargeable battery cells, as indicators for titrations, and many more things.
Squirmz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1) - Conduct electricty.

- Conduct heat.

2) - React with acids.

- Form positive ions in salts.

- Can form oxides when added to water.

3) -Alkali Metals are very soft and Trans. metals are not.

- Transition metals have high b.ps and m.ps.

4) - Alkali metals react quickly and vigorously with water (and transition metals react slowly).

- Alkali metals can only be ionised to 1 ions whereas transition metals can have a variety of ions.

- Alkali metals react with oxygen in the air at room temperature whereas transition metals require more heat to react with oxygen in the air.

5) - Dyes (coloured compounds)

- Building materials (toughness and strength)

- Metal containers (not very reactive with what they will contain)

Sorry if these answers aren’t top quality but they are certainly all true, i’m not sure what the mark schemes will want.
Last edited by Squirmz; 4 weeks ago
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Physical properties would be things like how strong, ductile or brittle they are I would assume as well as if they conduct heat, electricity etc.
Chemical properties are how reactive they are and what properties are shown during reaction.

If you are unsure what transition metals are, it’s the block on the periodic table from group 3-12.
Hope any of this helps
charco
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Exite)
Have you considered the radical step of referring to a book, or searching internet (Google is your friend in this respect)?

Why should someone else do your work for you? If you don't know about transition metals it's about time you did some studying.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Exite)

I am not cheating. I did the the rest of the 50 questions.
... and please do not make three threads on exactly the same question. This is SPAM.
username5273118
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
... and please do not make three threads on exactly the same question. This is SPAM.
I am just desperate for answers. If you don't like my thread then go away.
This isn't spam.
Definition of SPAM on google- irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
Get your facts right.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Spam; verb
send the same message indiscriminately to (a large number of Internet users).

Cheating;

1. Any act in which a person intentionally uses another’s work or directly copies from another

Facts.

If you have trouble answering your questions, do you research, go back to the study materials. Don’t come on a forum and continuously ask others to do your work for you.
If you don’t understand something then that’s different, but trying to get others to do your work for you isn’t okay.
username5273118
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Spam; verb
send the same message indiscriminately to (a large number of Internet users).

Cheating;

1. Any act in which a person intentionally uses another’s work or directly copies from another

Facts.

If you have trouble answering your questions, do you research, go back to the study materials. Don’t come on a forum and continuously ask others to do your work for you.
If you don’t understand something then that’s different, but trying to get others to do your work for you isn’t okay.
already did everything i could. books didn't help. i did the other 45 questions. i was confused on these ones.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Exite)
I am just desperate for answers. If you don't like my thread then go away.
This isn't spam.
Definition of SPAM on google- irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
Get your facts right.
I refer you to the TSR study help guidelines. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...elp_Guidelines

Particularly relevant to you are the below:

General Site Rules

In addition to the specific rules and guidelines here, please remember that the main site rules apply to this forum just as they do across the rest of TSR. Spamming, trolling and offensiveness (among other things) are unproductive and will be dealt with accordingly by the moderation team. Please remember to write out posts in full English, as text speak is not allowed here.

Getting Effective Responses
Before posting it is well worth checking to see if someone has already asked your question before (or a similar one)! To do this click on "Search This Forum" in the top right of the forum. But please don't bump old threads (over 3 months old) unless it's for a very good reason.

If you can't find a similar question then post a new question thread using the "Create New Thread" button in the top left of the forum.

Title the thread appropriately to the topic, stating where appropriate which exam board and what level (e.g., AS, A2, degree) the question is for. Where possible show that you've attempted the question; people are not going to just post an answer for you - they are going to try to help you to work the answer out. Don't post up a large list of questions, which you haven't attempted in some way.

What we would not like you to do when posting is to post in a manner that suggests you want other people to do your work for you, which is also likely to lead to you not getting the responses you would like.

Hope that helps.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Claydo66)
Can you lot stop being Karens and just leave OP alone. Like they said, they completed the rest of the questions just not these specific ones. I assume when someone makes this sort of post they are asking for hints and advice rather than just straight up asking for the answer. It’s people like you lot who are that reason why kids feel they can’t ask for help off their teachers, parents or peers because they feel shamed for immediately not understanding a concept. If you’re not going to give them genuine advice or want to help them, they why would you take the valuable time out of your day to comment?
errr, forum moderation, maybe?

The OP was asked not to spam the forum and stick to the guidelines for posting.
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by charco)
errr, forum moderation, maybe?

The OP was asked not to spam the forum and stick to the guidelines for posting.
They weren’t spamming the forum, they were spamming the comments of their own post
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They weren’t spamming the forum, they were spamming the comments of their own post
Exhibit 1: "... and please do not make three threads on exactly the same question."

Exhibit 2: "charco Study Forum Helper"

Exhibit 3: "Forum Helpers: They also help to keep those forums tidy..."

There used to be three separate threads. They have now been merged into one. I wonder who did that?!? Perhaps the chap who has been here since oh around about the time you were coming out of nappies.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mate you care waaaay too much. It’s just a forum for students to whine about school.
I bet you were the type of prefect that would yell at year sevens to go outside during lunch and have a superiority complex cause you were given an ounce of authority.
Calm down bud.
As an outsider and recent entrant into this thread, I see it as you that needs to calm down.

The facts that I see are:
1. The OP posted three separate threads asking the same question, charco had to merge them and merely pointed out that the OP was spamming the board.
2. The OP was asking for help without showing evidence of attempting the Q. Both charco and I have been teaching for many many years. We both know that simply answering someone's question is a terrible way of that person learning.
3. We have to believe the OP that there were 45 other Qs and that the OP could answer them. The entire premise of "I am not cheating. I did the the rest of the 50 questions." could be a lie.

You may think that "It’s just a forum for students to whine about school.", but it is a private limited company with a net worth of about £850k.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (78)
38.61%
Take autumn exams (67)
33.17%
Look for a job (6)
2.97%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.47%
Take a year out (31)
15.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.44%

Watched Threads