The Student Room Group

R uni's open?

Does anyone know if uni's are open? Not for a full tour, just a self-look round, or is everything still closed? Was hoping to possibly have a look with a friend in the Summer! Was hoping to visit Keele, Warwick and Birmingham.
Reply 1
Ring them and ask?

You want to go to university but cannot engage in the research. It's a three-minute phone call per uni.

Even so, you'll probably not get very far on campus without an ID card.
Reply 2
Original post by FRS500
Ring them and ask?

You want to go to university but cannot engage in the research. It's a three-minute phone call per uni.

Even so, you'll probably not get very far on campus without an ID card.

Okay thank you! So you don't think much would be open, was hoping to go at the end of July.
Original post by maisiex10x
Does anyone know if uni's are open? Not for a full tour, just a self-look round, or is everything still closed? Was hoping to possibly have a look with a friend in the Summer! Was hoping to visit Keele, Warwick and Birmingham.

Best to contact the unis to see if they are open. I know Lancaster Open Day a few weeks ago was called off and became a 'virtual' open day. Perspective students could ask existing students what life was like and one could take a virtual tour of the campus.
Universities are closed, open days are happening online. If the students aren't allowed back (for good reason), then prospective possible students wanting to look around certainly aren't!

Hi there!

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 situation, Keele universities buildings are mostly closed with the exception of things like the supermarket and drs surgery. This means that no physical, on campus open days are able to take place. However, Keele have been offering virtual open days in which you can book your place on to using this link - https://www.keele.ac.uk/discover/opendays/undergraduateopendays/ The next available open days for the summer are August 15th and August 16th. However, in saying that, Keele’s grounds are still open, so there’s nothing stopping you from going and having a walk around the grounds, gardens and campus itself. You just won’t be able to go into any of the buildings!

If you have any questions about Keele then please don’t hesitate to ask and i’ll answer honestly! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Espançais
Universities are closed, open days are happening online. If the students aren't allowed back (for good reason), then prospective possible students wanting to look around certainly aren't!

I was just wanting to look round the grounds of the uni really not like an actual open day, do you know if this is possible?
Reply 7
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi there!

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 situation, Keele universities buildings are mostly closed with the exception of things like the supermarket and drs surgery. This means that no physical, on campus open days are able to take place. However, Keele have been offering virtual open days in which you can book your place on to using this link - https://www.keele.ac.uk/discover/opendays/undergraduateopendays/ The next available open days for the summer are August 15th and August 16th. However, in saying that, Keele’s grounds are still open, so there’s nothing stopping you from going and having a walk around the grounds, gardens and campus itself. You just won’t be able to go into any of the buildings!

If you have any questions about Keele then please don’t hesitate to ask and i’ll answer honestly! :smile:

Thank you!! So I am able to look round the grounds?

Most unis are shut with very few people about.
You may see signs of life at uni, but I think this will be security, research which cannot be done from home, IT support, but very limited.

Can you look around? I would imagine you could just wonder round the bits which are public access, so about as much as you would see on google maps.
I was just wanting to look round the grounds of the uni really not like an actual open day, do you know if this is possible?

that is probably fine - I walk my dogs round my local uni campus every day and plenty of people go there as it is a nice green space. My concern would be more about the travel to get there. Do you have a car you can use?

Hi @maisiex10x,

Yes most universities are closed for open days etc due to COVID, this will be a common trend anywhere you try and look in the UK. However, many are doing virtual open days, such as UEA. We have our virtual open day tomorrow and it involves a literal virtual tour of campus, accomodation and talks from your lecturers. I would highly recommend getting in contact with the uni's that you want to visit and seeing if they have a virtual open day and they'll probably more likely to allow that than an actual tour. Of course many are campus Uni's where there's nothing stopping you walking around but you won't be able to get anywhere buildings wise.

Hope this helps,
Becca
Thank you!! So I am able to look round the grounds?

Not a problem! Yes you’re still able to visit the university, it’s just the buildings are all closed and obviously you won’t be able to look inside accommodation but that’s what the virtual tour can be used for! :smile:

I take my little boy round the gardens and lakes to feed the ducks lots of times, he loves going up and down the library stairs to! 😂

If you need anything then please just ask! :smile:
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Not a problem! Yes you’re still able to visit the university, it’s just the buildings are all closed and obviously you won’t be able to look inside accommodation but that’s what the virtual tour can be used for! :smile:

I take my little boy round the gardens and lakes to feed the ducks lots of times, he loves going up and down the library stairs to! 😂

If you need anything then please just ask! :smile:

Great thank you!!!
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Hi @maisiex10x,

Yes most universities are closed for open days etc due to COVID, this will be a common trend anywhere you try and look in the UK. However, many are doing virtual open days, such as UEA. We have our virtual open day tomorrow and it involves a literal virtual tour of campus, accomodation and talks from your lecturers. I would highly recommend getting in contact with the uni's that you want to visit and seeing if they have a virtual open day and they'll probably more likely to allow that than an actual tour. Of course many are campus Uni's where there's nothing stopping you walking around but you won't be able to get anywhere buildings wise.

Hope this helps,
Becca

Thanks, UEA don't do my course unfortunately!!
Original post by ReadingMum
that is probably fine - I walk my dogs round my local uni campus every day and plenty of people go there as it is a nice green space. My concern would be more about the travel to get there. Do you have a car you can use?

What uni is this??
Great thank you!!!

Not a problem! :smile:
What uni is this??

Reading - not one on your list but it is a lovely campus
Original post by ReadingMum
Reading - not one on your list but it is a lovely campus

Ah don't do the course :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest