The Student Room Group

Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership

Hi! I’ve just enrolled on a BSc psychology course with the OU alongside a PG Dip in psychotherapy at USW with the aim of becoming a psychotherapist and acquiring MBPsS so I can potentially advance into clinical or counselling psychology via a clinical doctorate. I have an undergraduate degree in PPE and a masters in intellectual history already. I went the BSc psychology route as distance learning and student loan available, but is it silly getting a second undergrad degree? Would an MSc conversion be looked on better if I were applying for a doctorate in clinical psychology for example? Should I complete my PG Dip in psychotherapy, and then take a private loan and do the MSc conversion either at Arden or Cardiff, or proceed with the undergraduate option?

Any advice appreciated, thanks guys!
It depends on what the entry requirements would be for the clinical doctorate, I think. I did a conversion course as my undergraduate was in Forensic Chemistry and I wanted to study Forensic Psychology but obviously lacked the psychology background. If it's possible, I'd definitely choose the conversion over the BSc as it's only one year compared with three and you'd still end up with GBC at the end of it. There are plenty of distance learning conversion courses as well.

Some MSc's/doctorates may specifically ask for a psychology degree but others aren't so bothered about whether the GBC comes from an undergrad or conversion course.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bones-mccoy
It depends on what the entry requirements would be for the clinical doctorate, I think. I did a conversion course as my undergraduate was in Forensic Chemistry and I wanted to study Forensic Psychology but obviously lacked the psychology background. If it's possible, I'd definitely choose the conversion over the BSc as it's only one year compared with three and you'd still end up with GBC at the end of it. There are plenty of distance learning conversion courses as well.

Some MSc's/doctorates may specifically ask for a psychology degree but others aren't so bothered about whether the GBC comes from an undergrad or conversion course.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I will think about my options and discuss them with a clinical psychologist I know when they are free. Money wise the BSc is probably the only reasonable route at the moment, because I don’t know if I will be in a position to pay back a loan soon, but once I am working as a psychotherapist I can always get an MSc in clinical psychology to make myself more attractive for the doctorate... that’s the thrust of my thoughts now. But thanks :smile:
Original post by Jonah9000
Hi, thanks for your reply, I will think about my options and discuss them with a clinical psychologist I know when they are free. Money wise the BSc is probably the only reasonable route at the moment, because I don’t know if I will be in a position to pay back a loan soon, but once I am working as a psychotherapist I can always get an MSc in clinical psychology to make myself more attractive for the doctorate... that’s the thrust of my thoughts now. But thanks :smile:

Surely cost-wise it would cheaper to do a one year MSc than a three year BSc?

The whole point of the conversion course is that it's to equivalent to the undergraduate degree, meaning those with an undergrad that's not in psychology can still get into the psychology field without having to do another whole degree
Reply 4

The whole point of the conversion course is that it's to equivalent to the undergraduate degree, meaning those with an undergrad that's not in psychology can still get into the psychology field without having to do another whole degree

The OU undergrad is £6000 in total tacked onto my student debt, whereas the MSc conversions I’ve looked at are £10,000 minimum. I am not currently working so would not get a private loan for the MSc, so I’d have to do it after I qualify in psychotherapy (in two years for adults) allowing 3 months to find a job and 6 months to build a private practice, I’m probably not going to be able to be financially stable enough to start the MSc immediately after my PG Dip, but if I were, it would be the same timeframe as the BSc (three years). So I would only go the MSc route if it was definitely much more attractive to the doctorates, due to higher cost and timeframe parity if not realistically greater time involved.
Reply 5

I mean ideally, I’d prefer an MSc, just the cost is at present prohibitive. I also realised today I get a maintenance grant with the undergrad which actually covers the cost of my PG Dip, so effectively two degrees for the price of one! So I think I’ll have to go undergrad route. :smile:
I mean ideally, I’d prefer an MSc, just the cost is at present prohibitive. I also realised today I get a maintenance grant with the undergrad which actually covers the cost of my PG Dip, so effectively two degrees for the price of one! So I think I’ll have to go undergrad route. :smile:

Did you do your first degree outside of the UK? I'm just wondering how you're going to get student finance for an undergraduate degree if you already have one?
Reply 7
Did you do your first degree outside of the UK? I'm just wondering how you're going to get student finance for an undergraduate degree if you already have one?

Student finance is now available for part time degrees in a range of subjects including psychology! I can’t get finance for a second masters even though I paid for my first masters myself, but can for a second undergrad :smile:
Reply 8

Student finance is now available in a range of subjects including psychology, for part time (but all OU degrees count as part time regardless of intensity.) I can’t get finance for an MSc conversion due to my MA in intellectual history, even though I paid for the latter myself, but I can for another undergrad!
Student finance is now available in a range of subjects including psychology, for part time (but all OU degrees count as part time regardless of intensity.) I can’t get finance for an MSc conversion due to my MA in intellectual history, even though I paid for the latter myself, but I can for another undergrad!

That sounds like your best bet, then :smile:

It's annoying about the postgraduate loan, though - a friend at uni couldn't get the loan for our current course even though she'd funded her first masters herself
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
That sounds like your best bet, then :smile:

It's annoying about the postgraduate loan, though - a friend at uni couldn't get the loan for our current course even though she'd funded her first masters herself

Yep it’s a total joke, but at least they seem to be opening up the system a bit so people can afford to retrain. Thanks for your advice, I will plough on! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest