Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right o so last night i gave my mate the keys to my car cos he had some stuff in the back he was gonna get out and i couldnt be arsed to trek to the car park, so anyway him and this other guy he went with decided to piss about with it n push it out of the car park space but afterwards the ****** pulled the hand break stupidly high on and as a result snapped the cable....

anyway hes now saying it was close to snapping anyway otherwise it wouldnt break and wont pay for a new one, the thing is however i got it replaced a couple of months ago when i had my MOT and it felt fine, theres no way it would snap that quick with normal driving is there?

basically should i make my mate pay or does he have a point?

ReputationRep:
    Of course he broke it.

Your mate sounds like a bit of a bandit-jockey.

Send him some quotes from garages or motorfactors depending on your car fixing skillz.

Only £45 I hear to take someone to the small claims court*.

*Not verified.

ReputationRep:
    He broke it. Find the receipt for your new cable and show it to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayrt)
    Right o so last night i gave my mate the keys to my car cos he had some stuff in the back he was gonna get out and i couldnt be arsed to trek to the car park, so anyway him and this other guy he went with decided to piss about with it n push it out of the car park space but afterwards the ****** pulled the hand break stupidly high on and as a result snapped the cable....

anyway hes now saying it was close to snapping anyway otherwise it wouldnt break and wont pay for a new one, the thing is however i got it replaced a couple of months ago when i had my MOT and it felt fine, theres no way it would snap that quick with normal driving is there?

basically should i make my mate pay or does he have a point?
    Mistake!

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever give your car keys to a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, indeed it was a mistake lol he wont be trusted again, anyway its sorted now hes gonna pay for it eee i didnt enjoy driving back with no handbreak mind, was a chore having to hold it at biting point everytime i got to a hill and had to stop. Gonna have to wait till tomorrow to fix it aswell with it been bank holiday...Doh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bavarian Motor Works)
    Mistake!

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever give your car keys to a friend.
    some people have real friends you know. ive left my keys at my mates house's plenty of times and nothings ever happened.

as to the OP, id make him pay for it. i can dare bet he doesnt drive cause only n00bs pull the handbrake up so tight.

if it was new then he has no argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    some people have real friends you know. ive left my keys at my mates house's plenty of times and nothings ever happened.

as to the OP, id make him pay for it. i can dare bet he doesnt drive cause only n00bs pull the handbrake up so tight.

if it was new then he has no argument.
    re read jackass :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bavarian Motor Works)
    re read jackass :rolleyes:
    i read it fine the first time. and i repeat, some people have real friends who are trustworthy and respect your property.

(Original post by Ayrt)
    hes now saying it was close to snapping anyway otherwise it wouldnt break
    It could have been hanging on by a thread and it wouldn't matter.
    He used it inappropriately and it snapped as a result of that.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go round his house and cut his handbrake cable if he wasn't coughing up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 25, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.