Turn on thread page Beta

Love handles on an underweight person? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have love handles and I don't understand it because im approx 5ft1 and weigh approx 6st 6. I really want to reduce them, but everyone says you cant reduce fat on just one part of the body, you have to overall reduce body fat ie by doing cardio etc. But I really dont want to loose any weight anywhere else on my body. What can I do?
    My diet isn't perfect, used to eat a lot of junk, but I've reduced that now significantly for the past 3-4months but with no effect.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be skinny, not as tiny as you but about 7 stone 5 at 5ft1. I had massive hips and love handle in proportion to my body and it sucked. I've gained weight now though so they're more in proportion.

The only things I can recommend are stretches which tighten the muscles around that area. for example hold a weight in each hand then one side at a time lower that arm down and bend sideways, then come back up.
    Do that on both sides for about 20-50 reps a day and your sides will tighten up, and you shouldn't lose weight since it's not cardio.

sounds stupid, but it worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    it's called "skinnyfat"

basically, you lack any real muscle (which accounts for your lack of weight)

and that's coupled with having higher bodyfat than you'd like

so the solution is to reduce overall bodyfat as you rightly stated spot reduction isn't possible, you have to lose overall fat

the best solution for you, would be to clean up your diet (which you have been making steps towards, so kudos for that)

and the additon of resistance based training and some cardio

(Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    I used to be skinny, not as tiny as you but about 7 stone 5 at 5ft1. I had massive hips and love handle in proportion to my body and it sucked. I've gained weight now though so they're more in proportion.

The only things I can recommend are stretches which tighten the muscles around that area. for example hold a weight in each hand then one side at a time lower that arm down and bend sideways, then come back up.
    Do that on both sides for about 20-50 reps a day and your sides will tighten up, and you shouldn't lose weight since it's not cardio.

sounds stupid
    You think? 'Love handles' are fat deposits. Fat and muscle are biologically distinct tissues. Further, 'cardio' is not the means to weight loss.

OP: OK... you can't spot reduce and you seem predisposed to distributing fat around your hips; cutting the sugars, watching the diet, and a variety of exercises (sport, low/high intensity, resistance, gymnastic drills - recruiting whole body) will stand you in better stead than 50 side bends and crunches each night.

ReputationRep:
    What are love handles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #1_Wasteman)
    What are love handles?
    Think muffin top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #1_Wasteman)
    What are love handles?
    when someone has fat pouring over either side of their waist, they like to make it sound nicer by calling them "love handles".
    the name is cos you hold that area while doing the business.

but if i had to hold rolls of flab while doing that i'd probably lose my b0n4r

ReputationRep:
    do u know for sure u do actually have them? you could just have distorted body image, u might not have any at all. that said look at unedited pic of kate moss-she has them
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same OP. You can see my ribs And yet I have a little pot and wee love handles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)

sounds stupid, but it worked for me.
    I'm going to try that :^_^:

If it works I will rep yah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    I'm going to try that :^_^:

If it works I will rep yah.

I know someone else has mocked me for it, but it's perfectly logical- I mean if you strain your abs with sit-ups, then your abs tighten. This is kind of doing the same movement only sideways- you're stretching the muscles down your side, so they in turn tighten. It won't make you lose weight as such, just tighten your shape a bit. Well it made me feel less wobbly anyway, so others can mock away... :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Side bends are crap for your back.

Oblique work, that you're describing. Is best done with; twisting situps or hanging leg raises to the side.

Deadlifts also use obliques heavily as stablizers.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it just natural variation of body type - we can't (shouldn't?) all conform to a standard. I'm sure you look lovely as you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMummy)
    Isn't it just natural variation of body type - we can't (shouldn't?) all conform to a standard. I'm sure you look lovely as you are.
    standard excuse, hidden meaning; I dont like working hard or bettering myself, so I make up stuff about the world being a goddamn hippy fest and that no-one needs to change.

The OP is skinny fat and there are associated health risks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    standard excuse, hidden meaning; I dont like working hard or bettering myself, so I make up stuff about the world being a goddamn hippy fest and that no-one needs to change.

My you have got issues - shall we start with anger?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)

How do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    I'm the same OP. You can see my ribs And yet I have a little pot and wee love handles.
    ditto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    ditto.
    Irritating ain't it chick? I can just pass in a bikini. Anymore weight loss and the ribs will look serious.

And yet - "you cant spot reduce" so I have to loose more weight to erradicate the love handles and pot.

And my electric body fat monitor scales say that I have a 'fit' level of body fat. So I'm not 'skinny fat'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    Irritating ain't it chick? I can just pass in a bikini. Anymore weight loss and the ribs will look serious.

And yet - "you cant spot reduce" so I have to loose more weight to erradicate the love handles and pot.

And my electric body fat monitor scales say that I have a 'fit' level of body fat. So I'm not 'skinny fat'.
    Yeah, I have the same problem. My upper body looks boney and I really shouldn't try and lose anymore weight but my belly just won't go. I swear it'd be there even if i gave up eating. (NB: I'm not planning to do so nor am I advocating doing so before I get warned :rolleyes: )/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Yeah, I have the same problem. My upper body looks boney and I really shouldn't try and lose anymore weight but my belly just won't go. I swear it'd be there even if i gave up eating. (NB: I'm not planning to do so nor am I advocating doing so before I get warned :rolleyes: )/
    Have you tried crunches, etc? They have helped me a little.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.