Turn on thread page Beta

"B's and C's at GCSE are pathetic nowadays" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramadulla)
    No. What's pathetic is people using apostrophes after the grade letters to show that they're a plural! I think if you did that in a GCSE exam you won't get more than a D Thus so conclude this, GCSE exams are not pathetic but they are pathetic because they do not firmly intrigue students to learn the foundation of different subjects properly.

PARADOX.
    :yep: I agree, you have a valid point.

ReputationRep:
    yes your right they are pathetic, i wouldn't be seen dead with one.... no there not, if you try your best and don't get a top grade and get a B or C which is still pretty good, then you've tried your best and that's all that matters, and to call peoples grades pathetic when they've tried hard to achieve them is a disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    Bs and Cs are not Pathetic grades, anyone who suggests so is Pathetic

Perhaps it is not in someone's capability to get higher than a C, even after studying hours on end and trying their absolute Best.

You cannot say their attempt was pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cauldhame)
    It rather depends on what school you go to.

When you go to an inner city school that has been flagged as being in the bottom 10% in the country, to get a Bs and Cs is a bloody achievement.

It also depends on your potential. If it's your best effort and you come out with a D, when you were predicted a U, that's brilliant. There are plenty of courses for people who might not do so well at the academic side of things in further education.

To be honest, I think what you're saying is actually the biggest load of **** I've heard all day

this is a load of crap. Potential? Wtf seriously. If you come out with a D even the government thinks ur a spak

Before the A* came out, people regarded a B highly, nowadays, it looks like a grade showing "Boy, you could have done Better!". To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced a new grade for the GCSEs - A**. Then soon, an A will look like a failure. Then the Government will introduce the A***, then the A* will look like a failure; and so on and so forth........

ReputationRep:
    Err I think this post is a bit stupid, I put in a lot of effort for all of my exams and still ended up with 3 Bs. Some of my friends put in no effort and got all A*s. But it was just because I'm not as good at taking exams as them.

People who get Bs and Cs should go into further education if they want, as a large percentage of the population don't actually get any A*s or As..

ReputationRep:
    No. What's pathetic is people using apostrophes after the grade letters to show that they're a plural! I think if you did that in a GCSE exam you won't get more than a D Thus so conclude this, GCSE exams are not pathetic but they are pathetic because they do not firmly intrigue students to learn the foundation of different subjects properly.

PARADOX.
    i agree mostly with what you say but an explanation for the apostrophe can be the confusion between As (A plural) and AS (Advanced Subsidiary) perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    you nerd, you need us to help you with your coursework, pathetic.

oh wait didn't you do your gcses in 2007 and you need help with gcse coursework in 2008?? you need to pretend you got x a* to make you seem clever.
    :rofl hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    I guess it is pathetic for people like me and most of the people on TSR who can get A*.

It's only pathetic if you could do better.

For someone who did their best it isn't and anyone who thinks so is a mong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floralpulp)
    Are you having a laugh? If people are achieving B or below, that's probably quarter of the population of less.

Not every job/uni requires A/A*.
    It's actually around three quarters of the population.

ReputationRep:
    Explain.
    He is perfectly correct to add an apostrophe after grade letters to show plural.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Apostrophes

ReputationRep:
    whoever started this a thread is a piece of arrogant knob cheese, i got B's went to uni got 2:1 in maths and am now working for the largest financial services firm in the UK.

which is evidence against your pathetic opinion, and to be honest with an attitude like yours - you need a slap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Before the A* came out, people regarded a B highly, nowadays, it looks like a grade showing "Boy, you could have done Better!". To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced a new grade for the GCSEs - A**. Then soon, an A will look like a failure. Then the Government will introduce the A***, then the A* will look like a failure; and so on and so forth........
    No, because the A* boundary is at 90%. And A** sounds ridiculous and will put people off. And if they introduced A** what will the boundary be 100%? Are you mad or on drugs. Your points are mostly flaw, yet you complain why people disregard your ideas.

I still like you.

Right, look at the stats.
    1 in 5 GCSEs are graded at A*/A.
    This means that, by your logic, 80% of GCSE grades are pathetic. I don't think people are that stupid.

Many of my friends worked their arses of at GCSE, and came out with mixtures of Bs/Cs/Ds, and these are moderately intelligent people.

Maybe the OP would like to try living in the real world, where people who don't get straight As actually exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-OD)
    i agree mostly with what you say but an explanation for the apostrophe can be the confusion between As (A plural) and AS (Advanced Subsiduary) perhaps?
    I don't think so. None of the terms use an apostrophe, and the difference can easily be seen in the capitalisation of the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waiting.)
    Hahaha, you plank. I achieved (yes, ACHIEVED) B's and C's in my GCSEs, yet i'll probably be more succesful than you because i don't have your god awful attitude. Get a bloody grip.
    Hold on a second.....

NO you wont!

-- No one puts in effort and gets B's and C's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    Right, look at the stats.
    1 in 5 GCSEs are graded at A*/A.
    This means that, by your logic, 80% of GCSE grades are pathetic. I don't think people are that stupid.

Many of my friends worked their arses of at GCSE, and came out with mixtures of Bs/Cs/Ds, and these are moderately intelligent people.

Maybe the OP would like to try living in the real world, where people who don't get straight As actually exist.
    well said!

ReputationRep:
    People complain if we don't do well, they complain if we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnyD)
    this is a load of crap. Potential? Wtf seriously. If you come out with a D even the government thinks ur a spak
    No your a total "SPAK" (what ever that maybe)
    Get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    It's actually around three quarters of the population.
    I wasn't quite sure about the amount but thankyou for correcting me. It just shows that the thread starter is even more wrong.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.