Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. I feel sorry for those that have yet to do their GCSEs, 'cause they were much easier when I was taking them. One thing I know about is that you have to actually memorise quotes from the books you study in English Lit now, whereas we could just take the books in with us and look the quotes up when we needed them. I've also heard that Intermediate Maths doesn't exist any more :eek: WTF. That had better not be true, making kids learn extra mathematical nonsense when they might not particularly want to is just... evil. o_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reductio)
    He is perfectly correct to add an apostrophe after grade letters to show plural.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Apostrophes
    HAHAHA Ramadulla wulladullamulla you lose.

ReputationRep:
    He is perfectly correct to add an apostrophe after grade letters to show plural.

An exception can also be made for numbers and abbreviations, although some consider this old fashioned, illogical and unnecessary.

* "I bought many CD's in the 1990's." Correct.
    * "I bought many CDs in the 1990s." Also correct and more modern.
    This is TSR. We are modern here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnyD)
    With exams getting easier and readily available help materials such as the internet, do you not think that the effort needed to achieve a B or lower is extremely low?

If everyone put in effort at school im sure they could get all A*/A grades.

Tbh if people are achieving B or below i really dont think that further education is for them.

think what our economy will be like in another 10-15 years. In tatters me thinks.
    Methinks you are jealous because you didn't score any A or A* grades (and you aren't satisfied with the B's and C's you have). :woo:

ReputationRep:
    lmao this is thread of the year just because of Ramadulla's comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco12345)
    whoever started this a thread is a piece of arrogant knob cheese, i got B's went to uni got 2:1 in maths and am now working for the largest financial services firm in the UK.

which is evidence against your pathetic opinion, and to be honest with an attitude like yours - you need a slap
    what uni did you go to?

ReputationRep:
    there is more of a difference between A's and AS than relying on the distinction of capital letters..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieH)
    Methinks you are jealous because you didn't score any A or A* grades (and you aren't satisfied with the B's and C's you have). :woo:
    10A* 2As says your wrong mate

ReputationRep:
    Hold on a second.....

NO you wont!

-- No one puts in effort and gets B's and C's.
    Yes they do! Not everyone has the same potential! Like someone else said if you were predicted a U without revising and you put effort into the exam and you got a B, that's exellent.

I bet that you probably got Cs and Bs in your exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramadulla)
    No. What's pathetic is people using apostrophes after the grade letters to show that they're a plural! I think if you did that in a GCSE English exam you will get a big curvy D Thus to conclude this, GCSE exams are not pathetic but they are pathetic because they do not firmly intrigue students to learn the foundation of different subjects properly.

PARADOX.
    "When referring to letters used to represent scholastic grades, the letters are capitalized and left in roman type. An apostrophe is typically not necessary to create the plural form (though it is used after A so as not to confuse it with the word As).

Example:
    He received three A’s, two Bs, and two Cs.
    Our son received two I’s last semester."

Hold on a second.....

NO you wont!

-- No one puts in effort and gets B's and C's.
    A close friend of mine worked her arse of every night revising for her GCSEs. She got 3 Bs, 4 Cs and 2 Ds, and was delighted, and these results are probably slightly above average for her school.

As I implied, take your head out of your ****ing arse.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the school, and the students circumstances. I had a lot of problems around Year 9, and eventually got expelled and was out for a year until I went back to another, poorly preforming school in Year 10. The school was pretty rough in which 80% of the students didn't give a **** about their GCSE results, or their future, and the teachers showed little interest in trying to teach. They just asumed all students at that school were the same and thus did the minimum in order to get their paycheck at the end of the month. At the start of Year 11, I decided to stop ****ing about and get some results. After working my ass off for the year, I got 5Cs and 3Bs, and I'm ****ing proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramadulla)
    This is TSR. We are modern here.
    (Original post by Wiki)
    An exception can also be made for numbers and abbreviations, although some consider this old fashioned, illogical and unnecessary.

* "I bought many CD's in the 1990's." Correct.
    * "I bought many CDs in the 1990s." Also correct and more modern.
    You're missing the point.

ReputationRep:
    OP what kind of stupidty is this not every one is on the same intellectual wave.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    what a pathetic post. Cs and above are good passes. Such arrogance from the OP.

ReputationRep:
    correction Bs and Cs are pathetic in the opinion of tsr users

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA Ramadulla wulladullamulla you lose.
    Dear Lord,
    Are you in Primary?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't try to work hard and unortunately am the worst science student ever and received A*AAAABBBBB which in your eyes op would be absolutely pathetic, but it is deemed acceptable so please get off your high horse.

So as a "failure" at GCSE, I progressed onto AAB at A2 level and am anxiously waiting the receipt of a remark which will hopefully rise the B.

Hence why are you deeming average GCSE grades as pathetic, there are some pupils who got straight C grades at GCSE who achieve straight A's at A-Level. Plus employers and unis look at degree level and possibly A-Level if there is a need to exclude potential applicants, so your argument is futile and bears no significance to real life. After all what is pathetic is subjective. :yep:

No one likes it when little sixteen year olds attempt to demean over people and try and ascertain superiority over things like grades. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cauldhame)
    It rather depends on what school you go to.

When you go to an inner city school that has been flagged as being in the bottom 10% in the country, to get a Bs and Cs is a bloody achievement.
    I got A's and A*s from one

Impossible is nothing kids :yeah:

ReputationRep:

As that article says (Which is very unreliable, but nonetheless...), apostrophes indicate possession, not plural. The B does not belong to anyone, and instead is written as being "many", so no apostrophes should be used.

And as B is neither an abreviation or a number, the last part of that rule doesn't apply.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.