Do you always have to have the latest phone?

Watch
ruby1029
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it just me or the pressure of always having the latest apple product always come to me? For instance, if you have an old model like Iphone 8, are you pressured to buy the most latest one? I feel like apple products does that to me lol
monkeyman0121
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah, I have a J5 and it works just fine for me, better than something that costs a £1000 and can break from one drop. Not to mention the removal of important features like a headphone jack. I've even seen people get extensions for the wireless headphones, that's just stupid, I mean the whole point of the wireless headphones is to not have any wires.
ruby1029
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know hahahahaha an "upgrade" sometimes just don't feel like an upgrade at all
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Apple are amazing for their advertising and using psychology against us! Despite this, I am still sucked into their system!
Dagenham
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ruby1029)
Is it just me or the pressure of always having the latest apple product always come to me? For instance, if you have an old model like Iphone 8, are you pressured to buy the most latest one? I feel like apple products does that to me lol
Not really, newer phones are more expensive. I am not a millionaire, therefore I can't afford such items. My Samsung A70 has served me well since December.
GentleSoul
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to be, now I don't even have a working phone

If someone had said to me ten years ago that I would spend weeks without a mobile phone in my hand and it wouldn't bother me, I'd have laughed!

I use an iphone 7 I think, the one where the headphones have to be different than the others. It doesn't bother me. I need to get it fixed however
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is the reason Apple release phones so frequently - they know people generally want the latest model

I got a second hand 7 for my birthday last year but the only reason I had that was because my 5 was dying a slow death
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it's just you

Unless you're like 12, in which case you don't have any money, this 'creation of demand' by Apple and others to try to get us to buy more and more replacement items when the originals are fine is sooo over. It's bad for the environment and bad for your wallet - the only people who do benefit are the shareholders of the companies which make all these unnecessary items.

An iPhone 8 isn't an 'old model' - it's less than three years old!! If you think that something that new is 'old', then it's a pretty damming indictment of how you view our material culture as 'throwaway'.
bluewolf21
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope. A phone is a phone - it just needs to do phone things to get my money.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You sound like a victim to hyperconsumerism and the social conditioning of always owning the latest up to date technology. I’ve had an Iphone6 for many years and it works just perfectly fine.
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not at all. My phone model is about 4 years old and my handset is about 2.

Because I'm not a pawn of corporations, I've never bought an iPhone and I never will. I certainly feel no pressure to waste thousands of pounds getting the newest one every 6 months.
username5322502
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
iPhone 4s gang where u at my homies... Obviously i've upgraded to a 5s since then and we're going strong for the last 7 years
jbrdodd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had my last phone (Iphone SE) for around 4 years and upgraded to an iphone 7plus this year because the home button broke, bottom of the screen wasn’t responsive so was necessary for an upgrade.

Only cost me £429 for my new phone aswell which wasn’t too bad of a price either
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
This is the reason Apple release phones so frequently - they know people generally want the latest model
Apple actually have the least frequent release cycle of almost any manufacturer on the market, maintaining the same annual refresh cycle for at least a decade with only a couple of lower end models released outside of their predictable window. Compared to the Android market Apple move at an absolute snail's pace.

The real reason phone manufacturers release phones on a frequent basis is because if they don't then the competition will, and if they don't keep up with implementing the same advances that have been made since their last phone was released then nobody is going to choose that over the faster and more feature rich competition. No manufacturer can afford to refresh their flagships every two years if sales are going to flatline after one.
Last edited by Gofre; 1 month ago
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My mum offers, bless her, but I tend to be stubborn. Eventually I agree and am always extremely grateful to her, but I wish people would stop judging others on what phone they have :^_^:
sparks8483
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by noodlzzz)
apple are amazing for their advertising and using psychology against us! Despite this, i am still sucked into their system! :d
hahahahahaha :d
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Apple actually have the least frequent release cycle of almost any manufacturer on the market, maintaining the same annual refresh cycle for at least a decade with only a couple of lower end models released outside of their predictable window. Compared to the Android market Apple move at an absolute snail's pace.

The real reason phone manufacturers release phones on a frequent basis is because if they don't then the competition will, and if they don't keep up with implementing the same advances that have been made since their last phone was released then nobody is going to choose that over the faster and more feature rich competition. No manufacturer can afford to refresh their flagships every two years if sales are going to flatline after one.
Apple have the least frequent release cycle? Is that only compared to android flagships?
Hungrycats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by monkeyman0121)
Nah, I have a J5 and it works just fine for me, better than something that costs a £1000 and can break from one drop. Not to mention the removal of important features like a headphone jack. I've even seen people get extensions for the wireless headphones, that's just stupid, I mean the whole point of the wireless headphones is to not have any wires.
I have this too
its great 👍
to ruby1029 , just do what’s right for YOU
It doesn’t have to be the best and/or most expensive - it’s just a phone right? As long you can call someone, play games if this is what you want, google things and have it to help with work, then it doesn’t matter. Hope this helped - good luck helping you make up your mind! x
Nutella!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my mum does this, i just tend to end up with whatever her old phone was. although i told her no on the last one, i’m not ready to give up my home button yet! 🤣
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. All phones are the exact same thing, except the shape changes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors are most important to you when considering a university in Clearing?

How well the uni/course ranks (2)
20%
Location (2)
20%
How effective their covid-19 policies are (0)
0%
What courses they offer (3)
30%
Course content (1)
10%
Social life options (1)
10%
Accommodation options (1)
10%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads