amelieee_18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm looking at applying to either Aston uni or the Uni of Birmingham to study medicine, I wondered if anyone had any information on the differences between the courses/student life etc. So far, I've heard Aston is smaller and newer, in a more central location in the city, but Birmingham has more clubs and societies etc. Thanks for your help!
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by amelieee_18)
I'm looking at applying to either Aston uni or the Uni of Birmingham to study medicine, I wondered if anyone had any information on the differences between the courses/student life etc. So far, I've heard Aston is smaller and newer, in a more central location in the city, but Birmingham has more clubs and societies etc. Thanks for your help!
Hello,
As a medical student at Aston, I can say I have loved every minute of it so far. The course content is very challenging, and due to the small nature of the course you feel a strong sense of community with your cohort and lecturers. You also get a lot of help from the lecturers and clinical teaching fellows as we are such a small course. Attending a smaller university, in general, has been great for me as it has allowed me to get involved with societies and not get lost in the crowd. Overall Aston has been great and its proximity to the city centre is an added perk.
* Ethel
Sh_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey,

I applied for both of these universities this year for medicine and received offers from both. I was on the outreach schemes for both too so I received reduced offers, both ABB.

In the end, I chose University of Birmingham as my firm. It was a hard decision to get to because I love both of the universities so much. Aston has been very supportive with their healthcare oriented outreach scheme and they probably beat out the University of Birmingham in this aspect, although all outreach is good outreach.

You are right, the cohort sizes are massively different and I really liked the idea of having a smaller year, but in the end the following factors outweighed that and made me choose Birmingham.

I LOVE the medical school building at the University of Birmingham, it’s great to have a community of medics in one building, especially when the cohort is so large, plus everything is orientated to your course. Pairing this with the fact that Aston were planning to build a medical school building for 2020 entry when we started the outreach programme in 2018, which was unfortunately later scrapped really upset me. They now just occupy a section of the main building which is not something I wanted, especially since the medical students I spoke to said it can lead to tight scheduling with other healthcare course who share the same lecture rooms.

Another factor which pushed me towards the University of Birmingham is the campus. I just felt so much more comfortable on the green suburban campus with its own station than in the more compact city centre campus at Aston.

Both have links to fantastic hospitals in the West Midlands.

Aston are yet to output any medical graduates yet but I wouldn’t worry much about that because that won’t effect you much.

Overall, loved both and it ended up being the little things, outside of the course, which shaped my decision.
Last edited by Sh_A; 11 months ago
aspiring_____
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey! I live in birmingham but ruled out aston because of the GMC report, the majority of student are from access scheme, internationals and graduates. Is this true?? I just dont wanna waste a choice. Does living in birmingham come into contextual?

Also aston med school don't look at predicted grades right?

i also saw a lot of things they had to improve on their report so this worries me a lot
AMStudent05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by FAatsssss)
Hey! I live in birmingham but ruled out aston because of the GMC report, the majority of student are from access scheme, internationals and graduates. Is this true?? I just dont wanna waste a choice. Does living in birmingham come into contextual?

Also aston med school don't look at predicted grades right?

i also saw a lot of things they had to improve on their report so this worries me a lot
I wouldn't worry too much about the report as it is likely that Aston would be accredited in the end. If not, Leicester Medical School is acting as a guarantor in case the school does not the meet the GMC standards.

According to them 100 places will be offered to local students. They never specified how many will be contextual but my guess is likely 50%+ will go to contextual.

I can say that Aston does have smaller yearly cohort sizes compared to Birmingham Medical School which does bring a sense of 'knowing everyone around the school'. But it does lack facilities/buildings compared to the University of Birmingham. Someone in the year above told me that they were planning to build a new medical school building with dedicated facilities exclusively for Medical students; apparently this was a major factor in choosing Aston. Then the Aston Council rejected/changed the plan and are instead building a new Business School/Language Social Sciences Building which is a shame.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (107)
40.53%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (19)
7.2%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (59)
22.35%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (31)
11.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
7.2%

Watched Threads