A question for vegans

Watch
Spencer5567
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Aren’t plants living things, why can you eat them but not animals?
Wal123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Spencer5567)
100% idk either
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im not vegan, but perhaps because plants dont feel pain...? :rofl:
Then again, shearing a sheep for wool, or collecting unfertilized eggs from a chicken also isnt killing anything, or putting them in harms way.
Otherdjrj
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because then they wouldn’t have anything to brag and feel superior about
Spencer5567
Rep:
?
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Then again, shearing a sheep for wool, or collecting unfertilized eggs from a chicken also isnt killing anything, or putting them in harms way.
Literally wat I was thinking but then again if they don’t eat plants what do they eat?
username5301604
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Plants don't have pain receptors. Plants have pressure receptors that allow them to know when they're being touched or moved—mechanoreceptors. It's a specific nerve cell.

While plants are alive, yes, vegans want to minimize suffering to creatures that can suffer.

No researcher will take you seriously if you talk about plant consciousness.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Literally wat I was thinking but then again if they don’t eat plants what do they eat?
Some kinds of tree bark are edible. Does that count as a plant? :lol:
Then again, there are many things that live in bark. They would end up killing more things eating that, than just eating the plants.
Wal123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some kinds of tree bark are edible. Does that count as a plant? :lol:
Then again, there are many things that live in bark. They would end up killing more things eating that, than just eating the plants.
But surely by planting more crops removes the habitat of some animal species and thus decreases biodiversity so that would be cruel to animals
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wal123)
But surely by planting more crops removes the habitat of some animal species and thus decreases biodiversity so that would be cruel to animals
Farmers are already planting crops anyways, no?
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think with animals though it is the way a large proportion are farmed. I don't know if you've seen videos, but often these chicken farms are very small and cramped relative to the number of animals and their overall living conditions aren't very nice. This isn't the case for all of them of course but I think some of it comes down to the ethics surrounding the farming of the animal products as well (not a vegan but my understanding from those who are)
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
I think with animals though it is the way a large proportion are farmed. I don't know if you've seen videos, but often these chicken farms are very small and cramped relative to the number of animals and their overall living conditions aren't very nice. This isn't the case for all of them of course but I think some of it comes down to the ethics surrounding the farming of the animal products as well (not a vegan but my understanding from those who are)
There are specific companies that do raise chickens among other animals that way, but the majority of farms are not like that. Small farms to medium ones, and even some of the large scale farms do care for their animals well-being.
Ive grown up around and on farms, and many of them were small to medium ones. All the animals were always cared for, because happy animals mean better products. It also makes working on the farm a lot easier, when the animals trust you.
Otherdjrj
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Prolly mud
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Shearing can do a lot of harm if done wrong. It isn't uncommon for sheep to get cut or nicked by the sheers and if you really **** up you can end up cutting the milk vein which can lead to a sheep bleeding out in minutes.
18FF930U3I
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We are much more related to animals than plants - we can empathise with how they feel. We can't really empathise with plants, although I myself do not like to see a dying plant.
Also, eating cows means you're also killing plants because cows eat plants...

Some people only eat fruits and nuts so they don't harm the plant, but by living we are automatically killing things all the time - microorganisms...

Veganism is about trying to reduce the suffering to other creatures without actually killing oneself.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Generally if it is done on ethical grounds the distinction is sentiance, plants are not sentient.
Last edited by DiddyDec; 1 month ago
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Shearing can do a lot of harm if done wrong. It isn't uncommon for sheep to get cut or nicked by the sheers and if you really **** up you can end up cutting the milk vein which can lead to a sheep bleeding out in minutes.
So do you just suggest people dont shear them?
Without shearing a sheep, they can become overheated, attract fungus's and such, and they can become weighted down to the point where they cant walk. Shearing is a necessary part of having sheep.
disappointable
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also, another thing to note is that farmed animals are fed using plants. So indirectly, eating meat actually requires more land/plants than directly just consuming the plant. Since the vegan aim is to minimize suffering, it makes more sense to eat plants directly instead of use plants to feed animals, and then eat those animals with a side of more plants.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So do you just suggest people dont shear them?
Without shearing a sheep, they can become overheated, attract fungus's and such, and they can become weighted down to the point where they cant walk. Its a necessary part of having sheep.
I would prefer the use of what is known as "easycare" sheep that shed their wool, have no horns, require less assisted lambing, suffer from fewer bouts of lameness and flystrike while also being a viable meat production breed. For a long time wool has actually cost more to shear than farmers actually make from it so wool shedding sheep are a great cost saving alternative while also having many desirable traits.
Last edited by DiddyDec; 1 month ago
Peaches13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have eggs from chickens but is like a girls time of the month every day. It is completely natural.
Spencer5567
Rep:
?
(Original post by disappointable)
Also, another thing to note is that farmed animals are fed using plants. So indirectly, eating meat actually requires more land/plants than directly just consuming the plant. Since the vegan aim is to minimize suffering, it makes more sense to eat plants directly instead of use plants to feed animals, and then eat those animals with a side of more plants.
Does that mean they can eat chicken eggs seen as they’re not actually hurting any animals?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (270)
40.36%
Take autumn exams (201)
30.04%
Look for a job (22)
3.29%
Consider an apprenticeship (26)
3.89%
Take a year out (111)
16.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (39)
5.83%

Watched Threads