scene.parade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am currently studying chemistry AQA, and I have heard that A level exam boards are specific in the way the exam questions are answered , almost word for word, and would like some clarity.

Does this mean that summarising or paraphrasing information from textbooks is incorrect - as it will give the answer in a differently worded way. Or does it mean you have to summarises the notes but exactly the way the textbook/revision guide states?

I shall give an example. If the mark scheme states 'the properties of compounds are different from the properties of the original elements.' However, I wrote 'compounds have properties that differ from its elements.'

It has left me a bit confused as to whether summarising and paraphrasing the textbooks/revision guides may be incorrect for the exam- even if it helps me better to understand the concepts.
TheVirtualPhoton
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I found that doing past papers and looking at the mark schemes (both available on the AQA website) really helped me learn and practice what would get the marks.
I believe that they look for specific words/words that mean the same. I would say that, for your example, the mark scheme would underline 'different' in its mark scheme and give a mark to anyone who got that idea across. So although they're not looking for a word-for-word paragraph, there will be certain ideas, words and phrases in there that are needed for the marks.
Wal123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by scene.parade)
I am currently studying chemistry AQA, and I have heard that A level exam boards are specific in the way the exam questions are answered , almost word for word, and would like some clarity.

Does this mean that summarising or paraphrasing information from textbooks is incorrect - as it will give the answer in a differently worded way. Or does it mean you have to summarises the notes but exactly the way the textbook/revision guide states?

I shall give an example. If the mark scheme states 'the properties of compounds are different from the properties of the original elements.' However, I wrote 'compounds have properties that differ from its elements.'

It has left me a bit confused as to whether summarising and paraphrasing the textbooks/revision guides may be incorrect for the exam- even if it helps me better to understand the concepts.
In that case I would say that it is fine because you have the general idea of what is going on. But in other cases if the mark scheme is bold or underlined than you need to include those words. Like in definitions and other concepts you need to say some key words that if you don't mention it you won't get the mark.
Like when defining the standard enthaply of combustion you need to mention it is in standard states or you won't get the mark.

Hope that helps
scene.parade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wal123)
In that case I would say that it is fine because you have the general idea of what is going on. But in other cases if the mark scheme is bold or underlined than you need to include those words. Like in definitions and other concepts you need to say some key words that if you don't mention it you won't get the mark.
Like when defining the standard enthaply of combustion you need to mention it is in standard states or you won't get the mark.

Hope that helps
I understand now. So it is just picking out the important/keyword and using that in my understanding of the key point / concept.

That is fine. I thought it literally meant answering the questions in the paper word for word that is understood in the textbook - which for me would be impossible to understand and remember concepts/definitions etc word for word.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (74)
40.22%
Take autumn exams (61)
33.15%
Look for a job (5)
2.72%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.26%
Take a year out (26)
14.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
6.52%

Watched Threads