Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It would be quite good to earn £1m. And I expect I could earn it within my lifetime (since I'm hoping to pursue the career of being a doctor till very late in life). But to gain £1m is not a goal in my life and I wouldn't especially go out of my way to earn that (eg. I won't risk everything I have for the big money as some would).

ReputationRep:
    Making £2-3 million by yourself is the only way to go i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Micky13)
    ahhhh prestbury....now that is a decent area...do you live there? lol .....my m8 lives there....coincidently he has a 5 bedroom house.....no fancy pool, no tennis court....just a normal, nice 5 bedroom house: 1.45 million

I lived very nearby as it happens; in fact my parents still do, just down the hill in Mottram st. Andrew.

***I am sorry to be pedantic, but you have just called Prestbury a decent area (which I of course fully agree with). I must remind you that only a couple of posts back you claimed

(Original post by Micky13)
    by "decent area", that personally for me means "the suburbs of a major city"....not the surrounding countryside etc....which is a pretty reasonable definition, so actually i believe i was very right indeed.
    Now as it happens, ahem , Prestbury is not a suburb of a surrounding city, yes it is of course in "the surrounding countryside" (and thats at a push...)

I am afraid you that you have made something of a schoolboy error there, A gaff if you will.

evening sir.

ReputationRep:
    Staying unmarried and avoiding having children should help to get there sooner! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    I lived very nearby as it happens; in fact my parents still do, just down the hill in Mottram st. Andrew.

***I am sorry to be pedantic, but you have just called Prestbury a decent area (which I of course fully agree with). I must remind you that only a couple of posts back you claimed

Now as it happens, ahem , Prestbury is not a suburb of a surrounding city, yes it is of course in "the surrounding countryside" (and thats at a push...)

I am afraid you that you have made something of a schoolboy error there, A gaff if you will.

evening sir.
    I wouldn't bother argueing with him anymore, Mrm you have already won, and are just taking up thread space. Instead, go earn your million.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I wonder how many graduates of Leicester's L.L.B. programme are currently working at one of the aforementioned firms; my conservative guess would be 'none'.
    I somehow missed this comment due to my bickering with someone else on this thread (but cba with that).....but your comment is so harsh! She has dreams, just like anyone else....if she gets a 1st and get's an interview...anything can happen at the interview stage....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Your very wrong in that aspect.
    No, I don't think I am. But you're welcome to demonstrate otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and I'm going to do it through owning propery.

Already fast on my way, I have 50K Aus in an 8.25% per annum term deposit just for my first property which I'm going to buy early next year - can't wait, and another 10 or so in a general term deposit (about 7% interest, been in there for about 2 years now!) for stamp duty, things like that

EDIT: 8 K in my regular, for normal things such as rent etc, yet I'm still this tight arse who hardly goes out :o: Oops...

ReputationRep:
    Oh just re-read that, hmm well I doubt I'll ever be worth 1 million pounds!!!

Perhaps for me, we'll just leave that in Aussie dolllars shall we

Seriously I also believe the motivation behind my goals is my povo upbringing, and being that 'poor deprived child in school with the clothes from Salvos and K-mart'. :rolleyes:

Or me just being a little bit greedy, take your pic xxxxx :love:

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice to earn even a fraction of a million, but I dont think I could live with being perceived as such as a smug ****

ReputationRep:
    a) Your point is? Who says I cant have ambitions.
    b) Did I say it will be easy?
    c) Give me examples of what you consider "better" universities (I am not saying they arent any more prestigious universities that Leicester, e.g. LSE, UCL, Oxford etc)
    d) Point taken that that may not be the salary I will be expecting straight away but it won't be long e.g. a year or two before it does come up to that sort of figure.
    You're missing the point. Having ambitions is fine, but having the audacity to hold such arrogant confidence that you'll achieve these goals quickly and flawlessly in spite of the odds and enormous competition is ridiculous. No matter how ambitious and driven you think you are, you're no different to anyone else in your shoes (a lot of people), nor are your chances any greater.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of you are going to have a reality check when you finish university.

Ambition is one thing, logic is another.

Also, bragging on the internet about your daddys finances makes you look like you don't belong with money. My guess is that the people on TSR who really will be rich won't be posting in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    A million won't really go very far in this day and age. I hope to have several million by the time I'm middle-aged. I have no real plan for how I'm going to make my millions, bar vague ideas about striking lucky with property - or winning the lottery - but I want my millions!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, if I become a good author or businessman. We'll have to see...

Making the first million is always the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I need a million pounds?

ReputationRep:
    This is just a few comments on TSR,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicest...ty_Law_Society

may prove my point about the interest of Magic circle firms who are interested in Leicester’s Law School. In fact, Allen & Overy and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer are sponsors of the Leicester University’s Law Society (LULS) and that’s 2 of 3 or 4 magic circle firms? Then theres a lot more other big city firms that are also sponsors as well as annually being a part of the Law Fair showing keen interest in recruiting from the university. Also, I cannot prove this, but Charlotte Walsh, the admissions tutor also said that year by year a greater proportion of the students at leicester have successfully secured a training contract at Freshfields, especially Allen & Overy and even a few at Clifford Chance.
    I said 'white shoe' not 'magic circle', and further qualified my comment with the proviso that a First from Leicester would be fair currency at such as you cite above: however, only three law-firms with a vested interest in the United Kingdom offer over £80,000 upon qualification, and suffice it to say that you would be no more eligible for employment with them than for a pupillage at a leading chambers of the Commercial Bar; indeed, I fear you underestimate quite how discriminating these (invariably U.S.-based) organisations can actually afford to be.

Lower your expectations (within reason), and success will follow.

ReputationRep:
    to be fair there's a lot of ridiculously rich people who had ridiculously high ambitions, who appeared bloody loopy when they were poor and had these visions but now they're rich, they appear geniuses and everybody loves them....thats the tough reality of life and how fickle people are.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.