babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi!

I’m currently going into year 13 and am willing to offer advice to those who are sitting their GCSEs.

I don’t have any of my resources anymore but I can give you my experience, websites and other things that helped me!

I took -

-maths
-English lit
-English lang
-science (combined)
-Spanish
-German
-geography
-religious studies
-child development

I achieved 877776655

If anyone needs any advice or anything, please let me know!

firdouss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how on earth do i revise for science
ryanalevel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by firdouss)
This is from my experience:

Biology: Make sure you understand the topic. If you don't, research it online - it doesn't harm you to watch a video from an expert on YouTube about it. Plus, your teachers are your best bet if you want to know why something happens. Once you have consolidated your understanding, go straight to making your own questions from scanning the texts. Use your exam board's specification to see what points you have to know. Not every point in Biology is going to achieve your desired grade. Be specific with what you do revise. If it's a lot of jumbled up words and blabbing on, ignore this. Revise the key biological details. To do this, as I said, make yourself questions and answers (maybe like flashcards) where you have the question directly related to the text - and then on the other side of your flashcard, you will have the answer which is directly from the text so you know it's reliable. Once you have confirmed this knowledge of the topic, go, and do past paper questions. Go online and search for past paper questions relating to this topic (or you might have them conveniently at the end of each topic in your GCSE textbook). For WJEC, I had the Question Bank, which was really useful in inputting keywords i.e. DNA to get questions about triplet code or whatever. Make sure to practice the big questions. In my exam board, these were 6 mark questions, and these were the questions that tested your knowledge on this subject. These are a great way to assess your overall ability in this specific topic. Even if you don't get it correct the first time (trust me, I didn't), try a similar one. Biology is great as a subject at GCSE as many questions are repeated in similar styles over the year. Just spot specific keywords in the questions and you'll know what I mean. Don't always try easy questions either. Try them at first but once you've got that knowledge in your head, try the harder questions, and it'll be rewarding when you start getting them right. Once you've hammered the knowledge for this, you'll be on your way to go. You'll be a near-expert at answering these questions then. There are loads of exam questions so if you find you're answering similar-style questions fine the first time, there's no need to keep trying these - try a different style to broaden your revision and knowledge. You can revise all you want but until you actually do the past paper questions, there will be no point. Past paper questions are designed to see what the examiner wants from you. Comparing with the marking scheme is a great idea to get started. But once you get it a bit more, try and do it more independently. (Wording is also extremely important!)

Chemistry: I don't know if it was the same for your exam board, but please look at the practical elements of Chemistry - they do come up quite frequently in exams. They still do at A-Level. Things like titration and sodium thiosulfate reactions. Make sure you understand these and also build on your mathematical skills. This will ensure you can apply the mathematics of practicals to the exam papers. With Chemistry, try not to miss anything out. Understand and then revise using your preferred revision method. Don't leave it too late, otherwise, it'll catch up on you. Again, hammer your past paper questions, but also build on your chemical knowledge while doing so. There are so many hard chemistry questions. Do them once you know the easy stuff and have got the crux of the subject. Keeping on top of things is something I recommend doing.

Physics: I hated Physics the most. But it's actually an easy subject to get when you actually get it. It's quite logical. Understand why things happen and just revise, revise, revise! The thing that helped me most with Physics was the similarity in exam questions. They were very much the same exam questions year after year. Revise each topic individually like the other sciences AND don't miss anything out in your mathematical knowledge. It will screw you up when answering a question. It may be something minor but you could've had 6/6 but only had 3 or 4 out of 6 marks. Just be good with your mathematical stuff. It is very logical even if you are not much of a mathematician. And be able to explain things too!

Hope this helps. Good luck with your GCSE revision - it is very important!
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by firdouss)
hi! so the person above me gave some great advice!

in simpler terms -

i used Seneca! it was amazing and really improved my grades! I also did loads of past papers and practice questions!

Listen to the advice above! I think they’ve covered everything! Also, FreeScienceLessons in yiurube is really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads