The Student Room Group

Are my grades too bad to pursue a career in Law?

Hi -
I have just finished my degree in German and French from a Russell Group university and will be graduating with a high 2.1. I have 9 GCSEs A*-A, but only ABC at A Level...
I am planning to convert to Law this year and pursue a career as a barrister or solicitor, most probably in family or criminal law.
I am really worried that my 'low' A Level results will stop me, and I don't know whether it is actually even worth spending all of this money and time if my A Levels will hold me back? I know that 300 UCAS points is not poor, but MANY firms are very strict with their ONLY Bs and above at A Level rule and so I feel a bit deflated.
My question really is, should I go for it, or should I do something else?

Thanks
Original post by t4lksh0wh0st
Hi -
I have just finished my degree in German and French from a Russell Group university and will be graduating with a high 2.1. I have 9 GCSEs A*-A, but only ABC at A Level...
I am planning to convert to Law this year and pursue a career as a barrister or solicitor, most probably in family or criminal law.
I am really worried that my 'low' A Level results will stop me, and I don't know whether it is actually even worth spending all of this money and time if my A Levels will hold me back? I know that 300 UCAS points is not poor, but MANY firms are very strict with their ONLY Bs and above at A Level rule and so I feel a bit deflated.
My question really is, should I go for it, or should I do something else?

Thanks

Your grades will be good enough for some law firms but not all, as you know. I would only do it if you are really keen on the idea of the career which it doesn't sound like you are at the moment if you haven't yet decided between being a solicitor or barrister because they are very different careers.

To be honest, I think you would struggle to become a barrister with those grades but becoming a solicitor is more realistic. However, you need to do a lot more reseach into it.
Original post by harrysbar
Your grades will be good enough for some law firms but not all, as you know. I would only do it if you are really keen on the idea of the career which it doesn't sound like you are at the moment if you haven't yet decided between being a solicitor or barrister because they are very different careers.

To be honest, I think you would struggle to become a barrister with those grades but becoming a solicitor is more realistic. However, you need to do a lot more reseach into it.

I would much rather be a barrister than a solicitor, but obviously due to my grades I know that it would be a massive struggle, so thats why I said both. I've recently been looking into becoming a Chartered Legal Exec and going about things that way...
All of the jobs that I want to apply for require a Law degree, whether its Paralegal/Research Officer/Compliance Officer/Advisor.. so I think I may do the conversion for the knowledge.
I hope he doesn’t mind me tagging but @Crazy Jamie is a practising barrister. Perhaps he could share some insight?
Original post by Euphoria101
I hope he doesn’t mind me tagging but @Crazy Jamie is a practising barrister. Perhaps he could share some insight?

Nope, don't mind being tagged.

Poor A-Levels are not as big a barrier when it comes to pupillage applications as a 2:2 or a Competent, but it is a weakness on your application. Some sets will have minimum A-Level requirements, and you will almost certainly not meet those for the sets that do (it's usually no lower than AAB). However, even sets that do have those minimums will generally have some sort of exceptions built in, such as a candidate showing exceptional ability otherwise. Problem is, a 2:1 in your undergraduate degree almost certainly doesn't show that, albeit other grades or elements of your application might.

The bottom line is that, like any other candidate, you have to make a realistic assessment of your own ability and paper application to decide whether or not the Bar is a realistic ambition. Your A-Levels are not ideal, but an application that is otherwise very strong could make up for them. It's just a matter of how likely you are to put together an application that can compensate for the A-Levels. There's no shame in deciding that you can't, in fact doing that is much better than pushing on regardless with a middling application and suffering through five or six years of academic fees and failed applications.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Nope, don't mind being tagged.

Poor A-Levels are not as big a barrier when it comes to pupillage applications as a 2:2 or a Competent, but it is a weakness on your application. Some sets will have minimum A-Level requirements, and you will almost certainly not meet those for the sets that do (it's usually no lower than AAB). However, even sets that do have those minimums will generally have some sort of exceptions built in, such as a candidate showing exceptional ability otherwise. Problem is, a 2:1 in your undergraduate degree almost certainly doesn't show that, albeit other grades or elements of your application might.

The bottom line is that, like any other candidate, you have to make a realistic assessment of your own ability and paper application to decide whether or not the Bar is a realistic ambition. Your A-Levels are not ideal, but an application that is otherwise very strong could make up for them. It's just a matter of how likely you are to put together an application that can compensate for the A-Levels. There's no shame in deciding that you can't, in fact doing that is much better than pushing on regardless with a middling application and suffering through five or six years of academic fees and failed applications.

Thanks so much for your honesty - I did think as much.
In your opinion, would it even be worth pursuing a career as a solicitor/legal exec, or are my grades again too weak?
Annoyingly, my 2.1 is actually 68.5% so it’s ‘discretionary’ whether or not I’ll actually be awarded a First, but I’m not getting my hopes up!
Original post by t4lksh0wh0st
In your opinion, would it even be worth pursuing a career as a solicitor/legal exec, or are my grades again too weak?

My knowledge of training contracts is very basic compared to my knowledge of pupillages, but the thing about training contracts is not only that there is a much larger number of them, but there are also a much wider range of law firms than there are chambers, and you can get 'closer' to a training contract before you actually get one by, for example, working as a paralegal in the firm (or a similar firm). So if you're aiming for a top London commercial firm, I suspect your grades probably are too weak. But that is only a small part of the industry. Depending on what you're aiming for (or willing to settle for) and where, I suspect your grades will still be good enough to get a training contract somewhere. But all of that said, there are people on this site who know an awful lot more about training contracts than me, and you should certainly be listening to them if they contradict something that I've said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending