The Student Room Group

David Starkey sacked from Canterbury Christ Church Uni for making racist remarks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by generallee
I don't mind getting challenged, although there are many posters on here that do that far better than you, if you don't mind me saying. :smile:

But getting posts constantly deleted, and warning after warning is extremely tiresome. The mods are largely left of centre, and it is hard to feel that it isn't (perhaps unconscious?) political bias sometimes. In fairness they also seem to just uphold any complaint of offence, justified or not. That isn't political per se, it is just the policy of the website.

I hardly respond to personal atracks on me with similar attacks. I really don't mind what you think of me. Personal slurs are not arguments!I don't mind what other posters do better. Thats not the point. Its the ignorance and defensive denials in some of the dialogues that are the most concerning in a multicultural Uk! the latest allegation of racial profiling concerning the met is currently in the news. Definitely BLM have got work to do still!
It is better that the mods don't support right wing racists though. And be fair, you do have some racially dodgy views though don't you?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mgi
I hardly respond to personal atracks on me with similar attacks. I really don't mind what you think of me. Personal slurs are not arguments!I don't mind what other posters do better. Thats not the point. Its the ignorance and defensive denials in some of the dialogues that are the most concerning in a multicultural Uk! the latest allegation of racial profiling concerning the met is currently in the news. Definitely BLM have got work to do still!
It is better that the mods don't support right wing racists though. And be fair, you do have some racially dodgy views though don't you?

"Racially dodgy views"?

I don't go a bundle on Critical Race Theory, it is true. And I don't feel any great need to check my "white privilege" if that is what you mean?

My views on the absurdity of the post modern left's politicisation of race are held by the majority of white people in this country I suspect. And I honestly express them, many (most) do not.

As I have said to you before, this is one of the best countries in the world for black people to live in. And one of the most tolerant and least racist.

Rejoice! Start talking the country up, not dragging it down.
Reply 162
"Racially dodgy views"?

I don't go a bundle on Critical Race Theory, it is true. And I don't feel any great need to check my "white privilege" if that is what you mean?

My views on the absurdity of the post modern left's politicisation of race are held by the majority of white people in this country I suspect. And I honestly express them, many (most) do not.

As I have said to you before, this is one of the best countries in the world for black people to live in. And one of the most tolerant and least racist.

Rejoice! Start talking the country up, not dragging it down.

You said: "this is one of the best countries in the world for black people to live in. And one of the most tolerant and least racist."
And you decided all of this as a white person of privilege with not a black person in sight! lol. How benevolent of you.lol.
Original post by mgi
You said: "this is one of the best countries in the world for black people to live in. And one of the most tolerant and least racist."
And you decided all of this as a white person of privilege with not a black person in sight! lol. How benevolent of you.lol.

We seem to be going round in circles, because I have asked this question before. But I will do so again in the hope that maybe you might answer it this time. It isn't rhetorical.

If this country is so awful for black people, why do so many risk their lives to come here? Crossing the oceans in unseaworthy little boats, paying people smugglers many thousands to do so?

Have you thought about taking out ads in their tolerant and non racist countries saying "Don't come! It is miserable for black people here! ?

Maybe they have heard how lovely the weather is, that is why they cross continents on foot or crammed in the back of locked lorries, sometimes suffocating to death on the journey?
Reply 164
We seem to be going round in circles, because I have asked this question before. But I will do so again in the hope that maybe you might answer it this time. It isn't rhetorical.

If this country is so awful for black people, why do so many risk their lives to come here? Crossing the oceans in unseaworthy little boats, paying people smugglers many thousands to do so?

Have you thought about taking out ads in their tolerant and non racist countries saying "Don't come! It is miserable for black people here! ?

Maybe they have heard how lovely the weather is, that is why they cross continents on foot or crammed in the back of locked lorries, sometimes suffocating to death on the journey?

er, people risk their lives to travel to many different countries around the world not just the uk! And what do you mean by "many " when one considers the world's total population?
People who are in danger of dying may not think first or know about the institutional racism to be found in the UK. They may find out later when they look for housing and jobs !
Original post by mgi
People who are in danger of dying may not think first or know about the institutional racism to be found in the UK. They may find out later when they look for housing and jobs !

Not many go back, though do they? Why would that be if it is as utterly awful as you claim? In fact, if their asylum cases are rejected they even get a free flight back. But for some reason most abscond, or fight to stay.

Maybe the rain compensates for all the racism and white privilege they encounter.
I don't know enough about the US and its policing to know the extent of the problem (if it really exists) that is the truth of the matter. My opinion isn't meaningful.

But I would make two observations of a general nature:

1. Black Lives Matter is not being dispassionate in its analysis of the "problem." They have an ideological animus, and see the world through the prism of systematic white oppression of black people. I instinctively distrust the "evidence" they produce of police brutality because I think they cherry pick that which suits their case and ignore that which contradicts it. Essentially I suspect them of intellectual dishonesty justified on the (to them) moral grounds that they are fighting the good fight for "social justice."

If we could depoliticise this whole subject we would be far more likely to find out the truth of all this. But it isn't going to happen, obviously.

2. We should be patient and take our time because any solution to the "problem" decided upon in the current environment of moral panic and downright hysteria is likely to make things even worse. Such is the emotion the whole subject or race arouses, and so great the toxicity that we are going to end up with workarounds that will be at best highly sub optimal, and at worst completely catastrophic.

Once again I don't think this will happen. When a mob is screaming "No Justice, No Peace" and taking to the streets every day, the pressure is on to do something, anything, to make them stop.

I guess the point I was trying to tease from you was whether you think the whole thing is basically a load of nonsense, or if you think it's a case of a legitimate grievance that has been politicised/blown out of proportion.

I dont know my own thoughts on this tbh. I do think the whole thing has become toxic and no one really comes out of it well on any side.

I also think that 'defund the police' is bonkers. Even Corbyn thought that!
Reply 167
Not many go back, though do they? Why would that be if it is as utterly awful as you claim? In fact, if their asylum cases are rejected they even get a free flight back. But for some reason most abscond, or fight to stay.

Maybe the rain compensates for all the racism and white privilege they encounter.

You are so unbelievably brainwashed with racism though. This is how you assess how to justify racism in the UK? that destitute people leave their own country. And your sarcasm is odious. You don't have the first beginning of an understanding of what white privilege is. I reckon you could not even give a definition of it. lol.
Original post by mgi
You are so unbelievably brainwashed with racism though. This is how you assess how to justify racism in the UK? that destitute people leave their own country. And your sarcasm is odious. You don't have the first beginning of an understanding of what white privilege is. I reckon you could not even give a definition of it. lol.

You fail to answer the question, evade the point raised, use an ad hominem (you are blinded by racism) and then attempt to distract by challenging me to provide a definition of a meaningless concept that you have devised.

Perhaps others reading this exchange will understand why I say it is pointless to discuss the matter further with you, or maybe they won't. I leave it to them to decide.
Reply 169
You fail to answer the question, evade the point raised, use an ad hominem (you are blinded by racism) and then attempt to distract by challenging me to provide a definition of a meaningless concept that you have devised.

Perhaps others reading this exchange will understand why I say it is pointless to discuss the matter further with you, or maybe they won't. I leave it to them to decide.

It may be. What question? Your comment about migration is ridiculous and off the point. I dealt with it.
You bizarrely claim that i asked you to: "provide a definition of a meaningless concept that you have devised." ! That's exactly why you need to read more. I can assure you that i did not devise the concept of "white privilege " . You are just not trying to understand racism but prefer defensiveness. "Others" reading this may decide to actually find out what white privilege means rather than, like you. assume that they know.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.racialequitytools.org/resourcefiles/mcintosh.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjNgIHX5r_qAhX5UBUIHa2RDFIQFjAEegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3OnpTDSkYemPeNlUkrtgML

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.yesmagazine.org/social-justice/2017/07/24/10-examples-that-prove-white-privilege-exists-in-every-aspect-imaginable&ved=2ahUKEwjNgIHX5r_qAhX5UBUIHa2RDFIQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2ErCd6HTAu593bQ4fXKS3C

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege&ved=2ahUKEwjNgIHX5r_qAhX5UBUIHa2RDFIQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0p-rsTzZd7eFQY2PG4TrkJ
Original post by barnetlad
The quickest and simplest way you can support black lives is to stop taking illegal drugs, I would argue.

Nothing quick or simple in getting everyone to give up drugs, it's never going to happen. The quickest and simplest way is to no longer have illegal drugs.
Reply 171
Original post by the beer
Nothing quick or simple in getting everyone to give up drugs, it's never going to happen. The quickest and simplest way is to no longer have illegal drugs.

Politically difficult, however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending