__Khaleesi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A lot of people at Uni have been insisting that I am posh. I disagree. So I've decided to get some outside opinion. My friends asked me a list of questions, which I've answered. Please comment whether you agree with me or them, and do feel free to ask any additional questions.

What do you study: PPE
Did you go to public school: Yes
Was it a boarding school?: Yes
Which school was it: Harrow
What do your parents do?: Father's a Barrister, mother's a solicitor.
Where do you live: South Ken
Do your family own a holiday home?: Yes
How many: 3
Where did you holiday last summer: Mallorca with some friends and Saint Tropez with the family.
Can you speak latin?: Sic Possum
Espançais
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I assume this is a wind up...
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Espançais)
I assume this is a wind up...
Who’s let Prince Phillip access the laptop again? 😂😂
Nutella!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
to me, you sound posh. why do you feel as though your not? i’m genuinely curious 😊
lazerbeem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That is very posh.
Since you disagree you're posh and we can ask you questions, I'm interested to know what you would consider as posh and also what you would consider as common?
need urgent help
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You went to harrow. Unless it was a full scholarship you are posh.
mnbvcxzz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Clearly posh, but that is not inherently a bad thing, nor does it make you superior. With the extra opportunities that present themselves and things you learn, just be sure to share them with others because its a responsibility you have to share and invest your lot in life - that would be the dent thing. Just don't discriminate based on other peoples standing or be insensitive to other peoples circumstance and its fine.
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
(Original post by ella’s words)
to me, you sound posh. why do you feel as though your not? i’m genuinely curious 😊
I think not being from the UK, I don’t fully understand the term “posh” it seems ridiculous to me. I just think of old snotty faced etonians when I’m not like that at all. A really easy going South African boy who happened to move to 🇬🇧. Plus my family have no ridiculous aristocratic ties.
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
(Original post by lazerbeem)
That is very posh.
Since you disagree you're posh and we can ask you questions, I'm interested to know what you would consider as posh and also what you would consider as common?
I think, I would distinguish between Posh and Normal. Posh has such negative connotations, like being stuffy and overly traditional and condescending. I was never raised like that. My family is obviously from privilege but I understand that privilege and I don’t abide some weird rules that make the upper class think they’re better than everyone else. I’m just a normal nice guy, who happens to have successful parents.
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
(Original post by need urgent help)
You went to harrow. Unless it was a full scholarship you are posh.
I disagree, we had some very not posh chaps at Harrow. Surely valuing education does not make you posh?
Karisa96
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You must be posh, if you went to Harrow, very exclusive and very expensive!!!!
neko no basu
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by __Khaleesi)
I think, I would distinguish between Posh and Normal. Posh has such negative connotations, like being stuffy and overly traditional and condescending. I was never raised like that. My family is obviously from privilege but I understand that privilege and I don’t abide some weird rules that make the upper class think they’re better than everyone else. I’m just a normal nice guy, who happens to have successful parents.
You're definitely posh but you mean you're humble about it right? Rather than 'normal' because the average person probably does not own 3 holiday homes and studied at Harrow.
lazerbeem
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, posh where I'm from usually means to have a luxurious way of living and you fit that description so I would class you as posh. It isn't considered normal to me or anyone I know to have 3 holiday homes or go to a boarding school because I'm very much dirt poor and was raised in a dirt poor household.

However, just because someone has money it doesn't automatically mean that they're going to be condescending or arrogant about it so I wouldn't automatically think that you are either. You don't seem to come across that way so I don't think you have to worry, you seem to be friendly, and that always counts to me more than anything else 🙂

The only thing I would avoid doing is asking people about their money situations or making comments about it (not that I think you would be doing that anyway as you seem nice enough). One thing I found common with a lot of people who have money or who were raised in a family with a lot of money, is that they simply don't understand how bad off some people are.
When I was in college there was a boy who constantly made comments about me having little money. We had a trip once which I couldn't go on because it was £300 and at the time (and still now 😭) even £30 would have been too expensive, let alone £300 but up to the run up of the trip he would just keep saying "what, you can't even afford £300? That's nothing!" and "I can't believe you can't even afford that!" and I just found it very rude 😔
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
Well, posh where I'm from usually means to have a luxurious way of living and you fit that description so I would class you as posh. It isn't considered normal to me or anyone I know to have 3 holiday homes or go to a boarding school because I'm very much dirt poor and was raised in a dirt poor household.

However, just because someone has money it doesn't automatically mean that they're going to be condescending or arrogant about it so I wouldn't automatically think that you are either. You don't seem to come across that way so I don't think you have to worry, you seem to be friendly, and that always counts to me more than anything else 🙂

The only thing I would avoid doing is asking people about their money situations or making comments about it (not that I think you would be doing that anyway as you seem nice enough). One thing I found common with a lot of people who have money or who were raised in a family with a lot of money, is that they simply don't understand how bad off some people are.
When I was in college there was a boy who constantly made comments about me having little money. We had a trip once which I couldn't go on because it was £300 and at the time (and still now 😭) even £30 would have been too expensive, let alone £300 but up to the run up of the trip he would just keep saying "what, you can't even afford £300? That's nothing!" and "I can't believe you can't even afford that!" and I just found it very rude 😔
Thank you for sharing. Perhaps not being from the UK, I have gotten the wrong idea of what 'posh' means. I'm sorry but that person sounds like a massive ****; I'm sorry you had to go through that.
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
(Original post by neko no basu)
You're definitely posh but you mean you're humble about it right? Rather than 'normal' because the average person probably does not own 3 holiday homes and studied at Harrow.
Okay I see, that is fair enough. Perhaps I have the wrong Idea of what posh means.
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnbvcxzz)
Clearly posh, but that is not inherently a bad thing, nor does it make you superior. With the extra opportunities that present themselves and things you learn, just be sure to share them with others because its a responsibility you have to share and invest your lot in life - that would be the dent thing. Just don't discriminate based on other peoples standing or be insensitive to other peoples circumstance and its fine.
You're completely right. I would never do that anyway, but I completely hear what you mean. Discriminating on background and privilege is pretty disgusting if you ask me.
lazerbeem
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing. Perhaps not being from the UK, I have gotten the wrong idea of what 'posh' means. I'm sorry but that person sounds like a massive ****; I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Oh it's OK, he was a bit of a twit in any case 😁

It's only in my area that I don't see it being used as an insult and I myself wouldn't call someone posh as an insult either, but I do know that some people do it (usually with some other insult attached to it). You will find that some people who insult those with money are jealous, but its no use being jealous about something like that and no excuse to be nasty about it either.

I'm more interested in your accent though as I love accents and other languages, am I right to assume you speak another language? 👀
Please say yes 😀😀😀
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
Oh it's OK, he was a bit of a twit in any case 😁

It's only in my area that I don't see it being used as an insult and I myself wouldn't call someone posh as an insult either, but I do know that some people do it (usually with some other insult attached to it). You will find that some people who insult those with money are jealous, but its no use being jealous about something like that and no excuse to be nasty about it either.

I'm more interested in your accent though as I love accents and other languages, am I right to assume you speak another language? 👀
Please say yes 😀😀😀
Haha, I actually do have a bit of an accent but its very faint. I'm South African so I do have that accent and I went to school in South Africa for 10 years! But I've been in British school ever since, so I've sort of lost some of it. I'm a bit of a polygot so I can speak 6 languages. English, Afrikaans, Zulu, Sotho, French and Latin.
lazerbeem
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Haha, I actually do have a bit of an accent but its very faint. I'm South African so I do have that accent and I went to school in South Africa for 10 years! But I've been in British school ever since, so I've sort of lost some of it. I'm a bit of a polygot so I can speak 6 languages. English, Afrikaans, Zulu, Sotho, French and Latin.
😍😍😍😍😍 Oh my gosh I'm in awe. I wish I could speak another language, I love hearing afrikaans especially but I love hearing almost every other language. It fascinates me how people can switch between languages.
Ahhhh fascinating 😌 thank you for sharing that with me
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
My pleasure. I can try teach you one of them if you’d like 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (73)
40.33%
Take autumn exams (61)
33.7%
Look for a job (5)
2.76%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.31%
Take a year out (25)
13.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
6.08%

Watched Threads