The Student Room Group

getting a weekend job at uni

So basically i’m hopefully starting at uni of leeds in september and i’m probably going to need a part time job because my loans only going to cover rent and i won’t have enough money saved for the whole year.

But i’m doing an engineering degree so i have quite a lot of contact hours and will have a lot of work to do outside of uni so ideally i’d probably only like to work maybe about 6-8 hours a week. But i was wondering if any places really hire anyone for that many hours, like do places hire people to just work one day at the weekend etc and if so where will be the best places to look?? Also any advice in general on the best way to get a job at uni would be greatly appreciated, eg when should you start applying, is it best to just look online or go in store and ask etc. I was thinking about trying like online tutoring but i’m unsure if it would really work out.
Original post by e2002!
So basically i’m hopefully starting at uni of leeds in september and i’m probably going to need a part time job because my loans only going to cover rent and i won’t have enough money saved for the whole year.

But i’m doing an engineering degree so i have quite a lot of contact hours and will have a lot of work to do outside of uni so ideally i’d probably only like to work maybe about 6-8 hours a week. But i was wondering if any places really hire anyone for that many hours, like do places hire people to just work one day at the weekend etc and if so where will be the best places to look?? Also any advice in general on the best way to get a job at uni would be greatly appreciated, eg when should you start applying, is it best to just look online or go in store and ask etc. I was thinking about trying like online tutoring but i’m unsure if it would really work out.

Yep! You’re looking at a Saturday job in a shop or cafe, a pub job, things like that. Plenty of places take on for one shift a week, just apply everywhere :smile:
Original post by e2002!

Hi @e2002!

You could try retail or bar work that is near your university campus or in the city center. A lot of places should be able to accommodate. Also, I would say apply once you have received your timetable as that way you will know what times you can work.

I worked as a student ambassador for my uni and various other casual work the uni offered. For example, working in the call center and on open days. This was really good as I was able to pick when I would work, and so if I had a lot of uni work, I wouldn’t work that week or month. But then in the holidays I would pick up more shifts. The only downside to this is that you may not have fixed hours. However, your uni may offer part time jobs in the student union, so this might be something you want to look at, if you are looking for something with more fixed hours.

If you want to do something outside uni, you could do a mixture of going in store and asking but also applying online. Sometimes uni’s will have career fairs where employers will come in to advertise jobs, so that’s a good way to also find potential jobs.

Also make the most of your university’s services, so for example see if they help in checking your C.V and any job applications.

I hope this makes sense and good luck!

Zaira 😊
Reply 3
Original post by Jonah9000
Yep! You’re looking at a Saturday job in a shop or cafe, a pub job, things like that. Plenty of places take on for one shift a week, just apply everywhere :smile:

okay thankyou so much!!
Reply 4
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @e2002!

You could try retail or bar work that is near your university campus or in the city center. A lot of places should be able to accommodate. Also, I would say apply once you have received your timetable as that way you will know what times you can work.

I worked as a student ambassador for my uni and various other casual work the uni offered. For example, working in the call center and on open days. This was really good as I was able to pick when I would work, and so if I had a lot of uni work, I wouldn’t work that week or month. But then in the holidays I would pick up more shifts. The only downside to this is that you may not have fixed hours. However, your uni may offer part time jobs in the student union, so this might be something you want to look at, if you are looking for something with more fixed hours.

If you want to do something outside uni, you could do a mixture of going in store and asking but also applying online. Sometimes uni’s will have career fairs where employers will come in to advertise jobs, so that’s a good way to also find potential jobs.

Also make the most of your university’s services, so for example see if they help in checking your C.V and any job applications.

I hope this makes sense and good luck!

Zaira 😊

Thankyou so much!! I actually would be interested in becoming a student ambassador but i was unsure how often there actually is work available. Is there usually work available every week or is it basically just when there are open days and other events so more like every now and then? If it does often offer weekly jobs it would probably would be an ideal job for me. I mean i definitely would be interested in working events like open days so if it was only every now and then i maybe would still be interested in this but would probably still need a weekly job. Is it possible to become a student ambassador in first year and if so how do you go about becoming one and is it difficult to get the role (are there many applicants etc)?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by e2002!

Hey,

The most flexible and less demanding jobs I have found from my experience are working as a student ambassador for the uni, stadium jobs and Events / Catering jobs.
With Student Ambassadors the hours depends on your contracts and the type of student ambassador work. There is International Student Ambassadors, Open day/ events ambassador, and postgrad ambassadors where each of the hours differ depending on when they are needed by the uni to help.
With working as at my local stadium, match days were only every other week on a Saturday or sometimes a Tuesday and thoose were the only times I was needed and even then, I book the shift with my supervisor so I had the option to choose to say yes or no.
Lastly working Events/ Catering the flexibility was aways there. Some people opt to apply directly to the venues as events staff while some use agencies and the hours are booked in by you which makes it very flexible.

Hope this helps
Doreen-maria- Official Student Rep 😀
Original post by e2002!

Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey,

The most flexible and less demanding jobs I have found from my experience are working as a student ambassador for the uni, stadium jobs and Events / Catering jobs.
With Student Ambassadors the hours depends on your contracts and the type of student ambassador work. There is International Student Ambassadors, Open day/ events ambassador, and postgrad ambassadors where each of the hours differ depending on when they are needed by the uni to help.
With working as at my local stadium, match days were only every other week on a Saturday or sometimes a Tuesday and thoose were the only times I was needed and even then, I book the shift with my supervisor so I had the option to choose to say yes or no.
Lastly working Events/ Catering the flexibility was aways there. Some people opt to apply directly to the venues as events staff while some use agencies and the hours are booked in by you which makes it very flexible.

Hope this helps
Doreen-maria- Official Student Rep 😀

There's all sorts of places you can try, like shops, supermarkets, cafes, pubs, restaurants, fast food places etc etc.
Basically apply everywhere
Look on indeed. There's lots of jobs on there.
Once you get to uni it may be worth looking round as some places have vacancies in their shop windows etc (especially smaller places).
Original post by e2002!
Thankyou so much!! I actually would be interested in becoming a student ambassador but i was unsure how often there actually is work available. Is there usually work available every week or is it basically just when there are open days and other events so more like every now and then? If it does often offer weekly jobs it would probably would be an ideal job for me. I mean i definitely would be interested in working events like open days so if it was only every now and then i maybe would still be interested in this but would probably still need a weekly job. Is it possible to become a student ambassador in first year and if so how do you go about becoming one and is it difficult to get the role (are there many applicants etc)?

Hi @e2002!

No worries! I would say it depends so at first when I became a student ambassador, I only used to get the occasional shift like once a month, this was because I had only signed up for open days. However, at my uni, there was this UKSR scheme where of you did training for that you would be able to do various other student jobs. So, through that scheme I was able to work a lot more, however these jobs were emailed to all the workers, so it was a first come first served basis. So, I would say if you apply to be a general ambassador you might also need another job as well.

In third year, however I had a shift every week as I had applied to work in the careers center and also used to work in the call center most weeks. When I applied for the careers job it mentioned it would be a weekly job. I also did online jobs where I would respond to messages and would get paid weekly even if I did not receive and messages. I would say if you want to be a student ambassador just apply for every job you are interested in because the more you have, the more shift you will be able to get.

I applied for all these jobs through unihub for my university and there was a section to see all jobs on campus. Leeds uni may also have a similar website, if not you could contact the careers team and ask them how to apply. I personally think it is easy to get a job as a student ambassador as uni’s employ a lot of students.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!:smile:

Zaira :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending