The Student Room Group

I don't want to be with her but I don't want her to be with anyone else

I love my girlfriend but the relationship is just so painful sometimes.
She acts like she doesn't care and we argue so much I'm starting to wonder if there is any point being with her.

Problem is it'd really destroy me if I broke up with her and then she got with someone else, the thought of someone else making her happy when it should be me making her happy it just really upsets me.
I try so hard to make her happy but sometimes my efforts just get thrown back in my face.
The relationship often feels one way and I just don't know how much more I can take.

I problem sound really weird and selfish but I'm so confused I don't know what to do and I don't know why I feel like this.
Reply 1
Probably* not problem
You're faar more invested than she is, you need to give her some space if you there to be any chance of it working out
Reply 3
Original post by BananaMonster
You're faar more invested than she is, you need to give her some space if you there to be any chance of it working out

How should I go about this? Just start acting like I don't care as much?
Original post by Anonymous

If you act then she will test you to see if you really don't care or if your secretly trying to manipulate her and you won't be able to put on the act for long. She will clock that you are just putting up an act and instead of it getting better she will feel even more turned off. No offence but by reading your side of the story you do come off as really needy. It sounds like she could leave you and she won't give a **** about it while you would be as you said "destroyed". Which is why I said your faar more invested in the relationship than she is. What I think you should do is give her a weeks space where you don't reach out to her in any way shape or form. But instead of sitting at home fantasising about being together, you just do your own thing and not think about her. Use that weeks space to fix this needy behaviour of yours and be unaffected by her. It's gonna be harder since your at home quarantined and you can't go out and enjoy yourself, but it's still possible. I don't know, perhaps try learning how to code, watch a few animes, go workout, watch this guy to learn a few skills or something https://www.youtube.com/c/pigmie123
And then after that weeks time get her on the phone and let her experience the new you and your relationship should get much better. Also don't try hard to make her happy, that might what's really annoying her, sure joking about her and there is good but when you try too hard it just feels odd if you get me. Just relax and don't let this relationship get to your head is the best advice I can give
Problem is it'd really destroy me if I broke up with her and then she got with someone else, the thought of someone else making her happy when it should be me making her happy it just really upsets me.

This is not a good enough reason to remain in a relationship you're unhappy in.

Yes, the reality is that when you break-up with someone that they will move on and meet someone else. You will also move on. That pain will be raw at first but it eventually goes away. There will come a point when you won't give a crap who she dates.
Reply 6
You need to have a long discussion with your girlfriend about the issues that are causing the arguments, but you've already identified red flags in this relationship; you're doing things to please her and it's not reciprocated. A relationship should involve give and take, companionship and support for each other. It's no good sticking around and trying different things to make her happy; don't you deserve to feel that way too?

If you can't resolve the problems by talking, break up and move on. If that happens, stop being a people-pleaser, forget about your ex and make sure you find someone who will truly be a partner. Once you find a girl who really appreciates you, you'll notice the difference and realise what a miserable time you were having before.

Don't 'act' like you don't care. Don't care. Don't waste time on games involving any type of 'acting'.

I mean within reason though. Just rebalance the scales so that the effort you put in, is equal to the effort she's putting in, maybe even less than she's putting in. The way I see it, you're entitled to make her feel the same way she made you feel, if that's what it takes to make her understand (seeing as she's not open to talking by the sound of it).

Meet other people instead. If she's not interested in you, you will have a lot more time on your hands to diversify your social circles or start new hobbies.

Is this something she does regularly? She doesn't sound like a nice person, if she allowed the relationship to go on for a long as it sounds it has done, to only then start acting this way. Could it be that she waited all this time to get deep enough under your skin, to be able to get away with this sort of behavior now? I don't know. It's not likely tbh. That's too much effort in itself for most people to apply deliberately.

Either way, you should drop the ball. If she doesn't want to talk about any of this, ignore her the same way she is ignoring you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by sinfonietta
This is not a good enough reason to remain in a relationship you're unhappy in.

Yes, the reality is that when you break-up with someone that they will move on and meet someone else. You will also move on. That pain will be raw at first but it eventually goes away. There will come a point when you won't give a crap who she dates.

I'm scared of the pain but I do know I'd get over it, I have with over exes but this is the longest relationship I've ever had. The pain would be worse.
Original post by Surnia
You need to have a long discussion with your girlfriend about the issues that are causing the arguments, but you've already identified red flags in this relationship; you're doing things to please her and it's not reciprocated. A relationship should involve give and take, companionship and support for each other. It's no good sticking around and trying different things to make her happy; don't you deserve to feel that way too?

If you can't resolve the problems by talking, break up and move on. If that happens, stop being a people-pleaser, forget about your ex and make sure you find someone who will truly be a partner. Once you find a girl who really appreciates you, you'll notice the difference and realise what a miserable time you were having before.

Original post by NonIndigenous
Don't 'act' like you don't care. Don't care. Don't waste time on games involving any type of 'acting'.

I mean within reason though. Just rebalance the scales so that the effort you put in, is equal to the effort she's putting in, maybe even less than she's putting in. The way I see it, you're entitled to make her feel the same way she made you feel, if that's what it takes to make her understand (seeing as she's not open to talking by the sound of it).

Meet other people instead. If she's not interested in you, you will have a lot more time on your hands to diversify your social circles or start new hobbies.

Is this something she does regularly? She doesn't sound like a nice person, if she allowed the relationship to go on for a long as it sounds it has done, to only then start acting this way. Could it be that she waited all this time to get deep enough under your skin, to be able to get away with this sort of behavior now? I don't know. It's not likely tbh. That's too much effort in itself for most people to apply deliberately.

Either way, you should drop the ball. If she doesn't want to talk about any of this, ignore her the same way she is ignoring you.

I don't know if talking will even work at this point because she is so stubborn. I think I'll just start to distance my self a little and put less effort in therefore when she realises this she'll either change or won't. That way I can determine whether or not this relationship is worth it.
She's been like this most of the relationship but has got worse gradually over time.
I'm scared of the pain but I do know I'd get over it, I have with over exes but this is the longest relationship I've ever had. The pain would be worse.

I don't know if talking will even work at this point because she is so stubborn. I think I'll just start to distance my self a little and put less effort in therefore when she realises this she'll either change or won't. That way I can determine whether or not this relationship is worth it.
She's been like this most of the relationship but has got worse gradually over time.

If you want to get rid of the relationship, stop giving her any attention.

If you still want a stab at a good relationship, give her attention when she behaves right, and don't give her any attention when she behaves wrong.

It's a manipulative tactic, though not exploitative. If anything it can actually be constructive. But it will take time as well. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with someone who would require this much effort from me, and require me to assume more responsibility than them for their own behaviors. You're not her parent. And there's a good probability of it failing anyway, especially if she figures out what you're doing.

Her behaviors are above all else, her own mental issue and responsibility, not yours. If this is how her personality is, she should take the lead on fixing it.
Reply 10

So you've out up with poor behaviour from her for months, and you're going to let it drag on even longer? Playing her at her own game isn't the answer; take charge and sort it out, one way or the other.
Original post by NonIndigenous
If you want to get rid of the relationship, stop giving her any attention.

If you still want a stab at a good relationship, give her attention when she behaves right, and don't give her any attention when she behaves wrong.

It's a manipulative tactic, though not exploitative. If anything it can actually be constructive. But it will take time as well. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with someone who would require this much effort from me, and require me to assume more responsibility than them for their own behaviors. You're not her parent. And there's a good probability of it failing anyway, especially if she figures out what you're doing.

Her behaviors are above all else, her own mental issue and responsibility, not yours. If this is how her personality is, she should take the lead on fixing it.

I do that already but I'm too nice when she's behaving right. She comes from a huge dysfunctional family so she is emotionally unstable probably why she is so s***. Feels like I'm being a parent sometimes since hers are useless. I don't know if it'll be worth the time so I guess I'll just have to think about it.
Original post by Surnia
So you've out up with poor behaviour from her for months, and you're going to let it drag on even longer? Playing her at her own game isn't the answer; take charge and sort it out, one way or the other.

I'm just going to see what happens, I'll give her an ultimatum and if she doesn't want to sort herself out I'll leave and find someone better. I know I deserve so much better she is less than me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending