HMRC Compliance Caseworker HO - Working hours/shifts?

Watch
benjamin80
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I've finally received a provisional offer for compliance caseworker - HO, Customer Compliance Group.
The offer says:

"5 days out of 7 days on a rota basis covering various working patterns between 8am
- 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday", but then also says "Normal office hours: Monday to Friday within the hours that your office is open and your start and end times will be agreed with your manager".

The first paragraph mentions shifts, but the second one "Monday to Friday"
Does anyone know if I will need to work on weekends/public holidays and, if so, how often?
It doesn't seem a call centre job so, generally, working hours should be Mo-Fri. Can anyone clarify? Thank you!
FRS500
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by benjamin80)
I've finally received a provisional offer for compliance caseworker - HO, Customer Compliance Group.
The offer says:

"5 days out of 7 days on a rota basis covering various working patterns between 8am
- 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday", but then also says "Normal office hours: Monday to Friday within the hours that your office is open and your start and end times will be agreed with your manager".

Does anyone know if I will need to work on weekends/public holidays and, if so, how often?
It doesn't seem a call centre job so, generally, working hours should be Mo-Fri. Can anyone clarify? Thank you!
Hey Benjamin,

I've applied for a similar role before. My understanding is you will work 5 out of 7 days in a week.

Monday to Friday is the usual but there is scope for you to work on a weekend, presumably because queries still come in/ tax dodgers continue to dodge taxes etc. But that it won't be as frequent.

Public holidays? My understanding of what I've seen in the paperwork is you don't work those days They're given to you alongside annual leave and Queen's birthday.

(Tbh I hear HMRC are a good shout with flexitime and WFH, you could pretty much pull off WFH on weekends and not end up @ the office. I know of someone in HMRC who's barely ever in and this was before COVID-19)
benjamin80
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I've noticed the HMRC asks for two personal referees and one academic/employer referee. I'd not be too happy for them to contact my current employer as I am still working for them. I am just wondering what happens if I select NO to the question "I consent to my academic / employer referee being contacted"? Can anyone advise? Thank you!
Azalea3206
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by benjamin80)
The offer says:

Hey, I’ve been working as a HO compliance caseworker since March 2019 and I’m currently on the 5/7 contract. It essentially means you’ll be working the following:

In each three month period, you will be expected to work 2 Saturdays and 1 Sunday.
You’ll also be expected to work 2 Friday late shifts in the same period (12pm to 8pm)
In addition to this, you’ll also be expected to work one late shift on the same day each week (apart from when you’re doing your Friday lates)

The rest of the time you’ll be on a generic shift, but as long as you start within half an hour of the shift time, they’re generally quite flexible.

Within Campaigns and Projects (the department you’re most likely to be starting in) they’ve been trialling everyone picking the weekends they want to work- instead of being told which ones to work- and this seems to be working quite well.

Hope that helps!
OctopusW
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I applied to be a generic compliance caseworker, and have a few questions. Firstly how long does it take to hear back?Secondly it was assessed by tests; I got top 20% for both maths and English but just top 45% for judgement. Am I in with a good chance? There were 30 spaces but I imagine lots of applicants. Love to get any insight.
Maddiexyz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by OctopusW)
Hi, I applied to be a generic compliance caseworker, and have a few questions. Firstly how long does it take to hear back?Secondly it was assessed by tests; I got top 20% for both maths and English but just top 45% for judgement. Am I in with a good chance? There were 30 spaces but I imagine lots of applicants. Love to get any insight.
I think we might have applied for the same area (a city in the North West) as the amount of positions matches. I've got that 99% of those who took the test scored lower than me in numerical, and 79% in verbal and 73% in situational judgement, so it's 1%, 21% and 27%. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I've heard that the process takes months, so I wouldn't worry too much, probably a few weeks till we're maybe invited to the interview. Good luck!
Blackcat33
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Maddiexyz)
I think we might have applied for the same area (a city in the North West) as the amount of positions matches. I've got that 99% of those who took the test scored lower than me in numerical, and 79% in verbal and 73% in situational judgement, so it's 1%, 21% and 27%. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I've heard that the process takes months, so I wouldn't worry too much, probably a few weeks till we're maybe invited to the interview. Good luck!
I know someone who's heard today they have an interview and got 88% in situational judgement. You heard anything? I got 69 and haven't heard anything. I think they only look at SJT
Blackcat33
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Blackcat33)
I know someone who's heard today they have an interview and got 88% in situational judgement. You heard anything? I got 69 and haven't heard anything. I think they only look at SJT
Good luck anyway
Maddiexyz
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Blackcat33)
I haven't heard anything yet 😔
Iamyou1.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Azalea3206)
Hey, I’ve been working as a HO compliance caseworker since March 2019 and I’m currently on the 5/7 contract. It essentially means you’ll be working the following:

In each three month period, you will be expected to work 2 Saturdays and 1 Sunday.
You’ll also be expected to work 2 Friday late shifts in the same period (12pm to 8pm)
In addition to this, you’ll also be expected to work one late shift on the same day each week (apart from when you’re doing your Friday lates)

The rest of the time you’ll be on a generic shift, but as long as you start within half an hour of the shift time, they’re generally quite flexible.

Within Campaigns and Projects (the department you’re most likely to be starting in) they’ve been trialling everyone picking the weekends they want to work- instead of being told which ones to work- and this seems to be working quite well.
Hope that helps!
Hi Azalea,
Could you possibly let me know what your job entails? And how it differs from the O compliance caseworkers? Thank you
smokeandmirrors
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I haven't heard anything yet 😔
I'm an O and I've gone for a few HO jobs that have come up this last few months but I had to do different CJST for the different campaigns. I'm on 70ish for one of them and 99 for another, so if I don't get an interview for that one I'll be mad, haha. Let us know if you hear anything.
Maddiexyz
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by smokeandmirrors)
I'm an O and I've gone for a few HO jobs that have come up this last few months but I had to do different CJST for the different campaigns. I'm on 70ish for one of them and 99 for another, so if I don't get an interview for that one I'll be mad, haha. Let us know if you hear anything.
They've declined my application despite having 99% in numerical, 73% and 76% in verbal and CJST. They've rejected it only on a basis of the CJST, they've raised the pass mark for that to 96% disregarding the other tests. That's not very fair, I've got a good score across all three tests and someone that got well below me in numerical or verbal has got a chance in the interview. I'm bit disappointed. How about you?
smokeandmirrors
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
They've declined my application despite having 99% in numerical, 73% and 76% in verbal and CJST. They've rejected it only on a basis of the CJST, they've raised the pass mark for that to 96% disregarding the other tests. That's not very fair, I've got a good score across all three tests and someone that got well below me in numerical or verbal has got a chance in the interview. I'm bit disappointed. How about you?
Well one of them I tanked the CJST so I won't get an interview for that (that might be your campaign as I applied in a few places, some generic and some C&P and I can't remember off hand). The next one I won't get an interview if they raise the CJST score that high but the last one I should as I had 99,98,99. But you shouldn't have to score that high to get a bleedin' interview. Unfortunately your experience is common, it's always the way. Each test only serves to get you to the next round and then doesn't matter, CJST is King. It's the same with the interview, once you do that then your online scores don't matter. I did it all last year with the O job I'm doing so I don't know why I'm putting myself through it again... lockdown boredom? Don't be too despondent though, there's some online info around getting higher scores on CJST and it really is a case of getting more familiar with how the blasted thing works, haha.
Laguerita
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Azalea3206)

Hope that helps!
Thank you for this information, I had wondered how many weekend we were expected to work!

Could I ask if you know how the late shift work for people will Carer's Passports? I'm currently with DWP and due to caring responsibilities I only do my late shifts on Mondays and have a Carer's Passport to reflect this. Do you think I'd be able to keep the same arrangement?
Last edited by Laguerita; 1 month ago
ST02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I’m currently with DWP as an EO and I was placed on the reserve for the HO Generic compliance caseworker role. I did 36 points at the interview. They’ve requested everyone who’s on the reserve list to produce documents for the DBS checks. Not sure if this is new procedure, as I used to be with HMRC before as an AO and they started my DBS checks once I was sent a provisional offer. Anyone currently working in this role who could tell me, please, how does your day at work look like? And can you blend between home working and office working under normal circumstances? Thanks.
smokeandmirrors
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Laguerita)
Thank you for this information, I had wondered how many weekend we were expected to work!

Could I ask if you know how the late shift work for people will Carer's Passports? I'm currently with DWP and due to caring responsibilities I only do my late shifts on Mondays and have a Carer's Passport to reflect this. Do you think I'd be able to keep the same arrangement?
There are certain things in place for people in situations like yours, but my understanding is that if you move from one government department to another, it's not guaranteed, but if you have a carer's passport I'm sure they would do what they can. Mondays are the most popular option for obvious reasons, and they can only have a certain % of people on each late. No-one got a Monday in my command as we were all new and there were too many people already on lates on Mondays. Really depends what department / location / team you end up in, everything is case by case. Remember too that you can request an AWP (alternative working pattern); there are people doing compressed hours, every X day off, school holidays off etc.
smokeandmirrors
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ST02)
Hi, I’m currently with DWP as an EO and I was placed on the reserve for the HO Generic compliance caseworker role. I did 36 points at the interview. They’ve requested everyone who’s on the reserve list to produce documents for the DBS checks. Not sure if this is new procedure, as I used to be with HMRC before as an AO and they started my DBS checks once I was sent a provisional offer. Anyone currently working in this role who could tell me, please, how does your day at work look like? And can you blend between home working and office working under normal circumstances? Thanks.
Hey, I'm an O but to be honest it's pretty much the same, it really depends on where you get assigned. Thing is about 'generic compliance caseworker' is that you really could end up anywhere in CCG (compliance), and all teams have different working ops. Campaigns and Projects are all 5/7 working patterns with a late shift per week, 1/6 sats and 1/12 suns... these jobs all have separate recruitment campaigns but I wouldn't be surprised if people from the 'generic' pile got assigned in to C&P too if gaps come up.

Most people are still fully wfh at the moment. Recently a new contract reform was passed, and HMRC have committed to giving everyone who wants it 2 days homeworking... but we have yet to see the details. Some areas will be easier to wfh than others, it really depends on the dept / team you end up in I guess...

Re: the references, yeah that's different, I only joined last year and I did my docs at provisional stage too.
Laguerita
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are certain things in place for people in situations like yours, but my understanding is that if you move from one government department to another, it's not guaranteed, but if you have a carer's passport I'm sure they would do what they can. Mondays are the most popular option for obvious reasons, and they can only have a certain % of people on each late. No-one got a Monday in my command as we were all new and there were too many people already on lates on Mondays. Really depends what department / location / team you end up in, everything is case by case. Remember too that you can request an AWP (alternative working pattern); there are people doing compressed hours, every X day off, school holidays off etc.
Thanks for replying. If I am placed then hopefully we will be able to work something out. AWPs aren't really suitable sadly!
ST02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I'm an O but to be honest it's pretty much the same, it really depends on where you get assigned. Thing is about 'generic compliance caseworker' is that you really could end up anywhere in CCG (compliance), and all teams have different working ops. Campaigns and Projects are all 5/7 working patterns with a late shift per week, 1/6 sats and 1/12 suns... these jobs all have separate recruitment campaigns but I wouldn't be surprised if people from the 'generic' pile got assigned in to C&P too if gaps come up.

Most people are still fully wfh at the moment. Recently a new contract reform was passed, and HMRC have committed to giving everyone who wants it 2 days homeworking... but we have yet to see the details. Some areas will be easier to wfh than others, it really depends on the dept / team you end up in I guess...

Re: the references, yeah that's different, I only joined last year and I did my docs at provisional stage too.
Thanks for replying. Your answer helped me a lot in making my decision. I was still unsure if I should take the offer if ever made, as I would spend on parking whatever I get paid extra. I’ve also had a promise from my current HO that she’ll put me forward for a TDA, however my heart is with HMRC. If I get the chance to work even 1 or 2 days from home going forward I’m more than happy to leave.
smokeandmirrors
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ST02)
Thanks for replying. Your answer helped me a lot in making my decision. I was still unsure if I should take the offer if ever made, as I would spend on parking whatever I get paid extra. I’ve also had a promise from my current HO that she’ll put me forward for a TDA, however my heart is with HMRC. If I get the chance to work even 1 or 2 days from home going forward I’m more than happy to leave.
The contract reforms are still being worked out to be honest, but they've made a big deal of saying that it will be available for everyone. However it isn't going to be given as a guarantee, rather as a working assumption kind of thing. The regional centres aren't designed to fit everyone in at the best of times anyway, never mind with covid rules!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (49)
38.28%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.38%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
3.91%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (30)
23.44%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (22)
17.19%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
7.81%

Watched Threads