The Student Room Group

Need help with SFE funding!!?!?

Hi all. Basically I need help on my current situation in regards to funding.

A few years back I went Brighton university and stayed on campus but I dropped out after 2 days. But because I was here and I received a loan payment for maintenance, SFE count the payment as I was there for a year of funding.

I then went uni a year later and done a different course and I completed one year. The next year I stayed from sept-December before I dropped out again because I didn’t like the course. SFE have counted this as two years funding.

I am now looking to do another course (two year course, not 3) and student finance have said I have no funding left and I need to pay out of my pocket.

The problem is, I have only completed a single year of uni, (other two times dropped out at the start of first term) so why have I got no funding?

Has anyone got any advice on the situation or anyone experienced this before?

I really want to go to uni as this is something I have thought about and reflected on and I really want to do it, but sfe will not give me a loan even though I should have 1 year at least left, or even 2 as I only went Brighton uni for 2 days.
Original post by thefridge
Hi all. Basically I need help on my current situation in regards to funding.

A few years back I went Brighton university and stayed on campus but I dropped out after 2 days. But because I was here and I received a loan payment for maintenance, SFE count the payment as I was there for a year of funding.

I then went uni a year later and done a different course and I completed one year. The next year I stayed from sept-December before I dropped out again because I didn’t like the course. SFE have counted this as two years funding.

I am now looking to do another course (two year course, not 3) and student finance have said I have no funding left and I need to pay out of my pocket.

The problem is, I have only completed a single year of uni, (other two times dropped out at the start of first term) so why have I got no funding?

Has anyone got any advice on the situation or anyone experienced this before?

I really want to go to uni as this is something I have thought about and reflected on and I really want to do it, but sfe will not give me a loan even though I should have 1 year at least left, or even 2 as I only went Brighton uni for 2 days.

Hi

If the uni confirmed you were there which meant you got payment, then SFE will count it as a year. Is there any reasons you had to drop out on previous courses? If there was and you have evidence of it, you may be able to get some of the year(s) back.
Even one day on a course counts as a year used, especially as your uni still would have been paid and you would have received some Maintenance funding which will need paying back.

So by that reckoning, you've used 3 years and should still have your gift year left. Perhaps when they told you they wouldn't fund any course, did they mean they wouldn't fund the first year? They fund backwards, so if you did a 2 year course and only had 1 year of funding remaining they would fund your 2nd/last year. That would mean you wouldn't get funding for your first year and would need to fund it yourself.

If you feel you have particularly strong reasons that were out of your control for not completing your prior courses, ie, pregnancy, mental or physical health issues etc, you can try to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons to be given an extra year's funding, but I don't think 'didn't like the course' counts for that.
Original post by Lizzillo
Even one day on a course counts as a year used, especially as your uni still would have been paid and you would have received some Maintenance funding which will need paying back.

So by that reckoning, you've used 3 years and should still have your gift year left. Perhaps when they told you they wouldn't fund any course, did they mean they wouldn't fund the first year? They fund backwards, so if you did a 2 year course and only had 1 year of funding remaining they would fund your 2nd/last year. That would mean you wouldn't get funding for your first year and would need to fund it yourself.

If you feel you have particularly strong reasons that were out of your control for not completing your prior courses, ie, pregnancy, mental or physical health issues etc, you can try to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons to be given an extra year's funding, but I don't think 'didn't like the course' counts for that.

You don't automatically always get 4 years funding. If op doing 2 year course now and has used 3 years previously then it's 2+1=3-3=0
Original post by Shirohige
You don't automatically always get 4 years funding. If op doing 2 year course now and has used 3 years previously then it's 2+1=3-3=0

Oh good catch, you're right! I'm not used to seeing 2 year courses, usually the typical 3 year. They've used all their entitlement up in this case so would have to pay for it all unless they can claim CPR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending