Why is Nicola Sturgeon critising everything Boris does to do with the guidelines...

Watch
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IbeIC123)
17% of Scotland’s population is rural compared with 20.7% England
If compared with countries, Scotland's population density of 68 per square kilometre would be one of the lowest in the EU, while England's at 407 per sq km would be one of the EU's highest.
IbeIC123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
If compared with countries, Scotland's population density of 68 per square kilometre would be one of the lowest in the EU, while England's at 407 per sq km would be one of the EU's highest.
Most people in Scotland live in the central belt hardly anyone lives in the highlands or the borders
Question??
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
I did not say Scotland didn't have immigrant communities, simply that they were not sizeable (comparative to London and to the north of England).

Tenements are rather better than the sort of housing options many especially recent immigrants find themselves in in Greater London. Overcrowding among these communities is at a rate unknown anywhere else in the UK, often to the point of illegality.

True enough, but a projection for 11 years time doesn't really provide much useful data on the transmission of a virus now.
My point is, that it does have sizeable immigrant communites - they are just concentrated in mostly one city, therefore looking at overall percentages or per head of population are misleading. I did not say you said there weren't any. And yes, London being the largest city is more diverse than anywhere else - go figure.

Tenements are housing used by more established minority communities. Recent immigrants, like you have mentioned, are mostly housed in the worst housing in the city - high rise flats or temporary accomodation. The overflow goes into hotels.

If you look at the projection in isolation it is meaningless, I agree. If you put it with the other data I gave from 10 and 20 years ago, and with the trend expected to continue, respectfully I think you are being obtuse.

The fact is that Scotland has less of the virus because it is more sparsely populated and the rules have been stricter for longer. Everyone up here has been horrified at the scenes in London. There really is no way to tell right now, which variables are most causal. Which begs the question, why see restrictions being lifted faster in the most populated parts of the UK, where the virus has claimed a higher percentage of lives, and then posit the question as to why the leader of a less populated, less affected area is unhappy with that and is doing things more slowly?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (40)
23.81%
Better than expected (38)
22.62%
Worse than expected (90)
53.57%

Watched Threads