What should I do, 1 Science GCSE or 2?

Watch
whateverrr123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So I've heard many people talking about the importance of Science GCSEs and most of them choose 2 or more sciences. I've heard that Sciences give you more options for university or something along those lines.
I dont known what I wanna do in the future but am pretty positive that I wont be going into a scienctific or medical field but my main goal while choosing my GCSEs is to keep a wide range of options, so in the future, I wont have a problem with them.
Here are my options so far:
Biology, History, French, Sociology, Economics (+ english and math)

Should I take another Science GCSE, but that would mean dropping one of the above. Do you think it will make a difference if I'm not interested in a science field? Would another science GCSE help and why?
Last edited by whateverrr123; 3 months ago
Frankie_Russell
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by whateverrr123)
So I've heard many people talking about the importance of Science GCSEs and most of them choose 2 or more sciences. I've heard that Sciences give you more options for university or something along those lines.
I dont known what I wanna do in the future but am pretty positive that I wont be going into a scienctific or medical field but my main goal while choosing my GCSEs is to keep a wide range of options, so in the future, I wont have a problem with them.

Should I take another Science GCSE, but that would mean dropping one of the above. Do you think it will make a difference if I'm not interested in a science field? Would another science GCSE help and why?
Honestly I don’t think another science gcse would help. I take physics at university and they didn’t care if I had one or two science gcses so I don’t think it would make any difference if you aren’t even going into science. It would be much better to choose subjects you’re interested in so that your motivated to study than choosing subjects just because they sound good on a CV.
whateverrr123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frankie_Russell)
Honestly I don’t think another science gcse would help. I take physics at university and they didn’t care if I had one or two science gcses so I don’t think it would make any difference if you aren’t even going into science. It would be much better to choose subjects you’re interested in so that your motivated to study than choosing subjects just because they sound good on a CV.
Thank you so much. This is really good advice.
Also, are you sure that 2 sciences wouldn't help me with a wider range of career options not science related?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you're at a state school in England then you will be doing Combined Science that is 2 GCSEs. That's plenty if you're not going to pursue Science (and enough if you do change your mind).
Last edited by Compost; 3 months ago
whateverrr123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
If you're at a state school in England then you will be doing Combined Science that is 2 GCSEs. That's plenty if you're not goin to pursue Scientce (and enough if you do change your mind).
I dont reside in UK, and so you're saying that taking 2 sciences would be safer in the long run? Again I said I'm almost positive that I am not gonna go into a science field but I have no idea what i wanna do in my future. Ughhh I'm so confused on what to do. But my main focus is keeping my options open so I can decide later you know. Ugh help me
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
In the UK it is possible - and probably normal - to pick Economics or Sociology at A level without having studied it at GCSEs (as they're not very common GCSE subjects). That means that not doing one/both of those won't limit your future options at all, whereas not picking Sciences might.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Hi whateverrr123!

If you are almost certain you won't go into anything science related in the future then only take one! I had to take triple science when I did my GCSEs and ended up spending so much time and money on tutors to then only get B, B and a C, and then proceed to do nothing science related like I knew I wasn't going to do anyway as it didn't interest me.
Only take one so you can focus your time more on the other subjects which will actually help you in terms of what you want to do in the future

Erin - Official Student Rep
EDEM0978
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

It completely depends.
I did three sciences GCSEs, even though I knew that I wasn't going down a scientific field (I plan to do Fine Art at uni). But I found science relatively easy. It definitely did keep my options open for A-Level had I changed my mind, and I know people when choosing A-Levels have regretted not doing more.
But if you're sure about your career path, and science wouldn't be your strongest subject and you could do better in one of the others, it's not necessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (133)
14.81%
I'm not sure (40)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (271)
30.18%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (432)
48.11%

Watched Threads