Gcse: Maths & English Resits? Watch

Poll: Should i resit my Maths & English GCSE?
Yes (13)
76.47%
No (4)
23.53%
LittleMissTwinkle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, after getting my GCSE results, i have been confused whether to resit my Maths & English GCSE's. i achieved C's in them btw. Some people have told me to resit them and others have said not to resit them. i have emailed some university's to see there views also, but i am still awaiting for some replies. however, university of Glasgow have got back to me saying:

"In order for applicants to meet our minimum entry requirements they should possess AAB in three A2 examinations at one sitting to include Chemistry and one of Maths, Physics or Biology. General studies is NOT acceptable as a third subject at A2. A GCSE pass in English is also required. If Biology is not studied at A2 level, it should be taken at GCSE or AS level. We do not give preference to applicants who have Biology at A Level. We consider Biology and Human Biology as equal subjects. We do not consider Maths and Further Maths as two separate subjects at A Level.

Please note that we wouldn't accept GCSE retakes. We would consider the qualifications obtained at the first attempt. It is mainly the A Level results/predictions and UKCAT scores that we take into consideration. However, depending on the high standard of applications we receive, we may have to take the GCSE results into consideration in comparison with the other applications."

Seeing as this is only one university's view, i am wondering whether i should or not retake my Maths & English GCSE.

And if i do decide to retake them, and say apply to Glasgow & other university's who think the same as Glasgow, will they just ignore my resit's and look at my first sittings, or will they not take my application into account purely because of GCSE resits?

Sorry about the rant, but i need help in deciding as i have to let my school know in september!
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most (if not all) medical schools have a minimum requirement of B grades for English, Maths and Science, and this is independent of A-Level choices etc. Some places might not take retakes, but more will not take a C grade... You need to contact other schools you like and find out their policy.
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As you achieved a grade C in both Maths and English this would be seen as a pass for those subjects.
However some universities for certain courses ask for a specific grade a GCSE for example..."To include a grade B or above for English GCSE", but like i said this depends on the uni/course.
You can retake you're GCSE's at college alongside Alevels. I retook GCSE Maths alongside 3 A levels last year.
The question is, do you really want to boost you're grade or are you happy as it is? Without asking everyone's opinion apart from you're own instinct.
LittleMissTwinkle
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for your replies & votes! Could someone please try and answer my question in blue though? Thanks again!
Plato123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You will have to ask the Universities you're applying to, to get a correct answer.
LittleMissTwinkle
Rep:
?
Thanks so, there's 5 votes for Yes, and 2 Votes for No so far...
lilangel890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. Wherever you go/what ever job you do they always look at english language and maths
helen41
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
wantin to become a teaching assistant and for this i need my math and english
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads