The Student Room Group

19 and still haven't had my first job...

I feel really embarrassed and disappointed with myself. I have severe social anxiety so I avoid retail jobs and whenever I do find a job I get so shy in the interview I barely talk. I recently ran out of a shop induction day thing because I felt sick with anxiety and it causes me to pass out or get dizzy.

What do I do?? I have animal care qualifications and there is a lack of animal jobs near me as it is without me messing all the interviews up.

Any advice or similar stories?
Original post by melissa.17
I feel really embarrassed and disappointed with myself. I have severe social anxiety so I avoid retail jobs and whenever I do find a job I get so shy in the interview I barely talk. I recently ran out of a shop induction day thing because I felt sick with anxiety and it causes me to pass out or get dizzy.

What do I do?? I have animal care qualifications and there is a lack of animal jobs near me as it is without me messing all the interviews up.

Any advice or similar stories?

You've been very brave for actually admitting what your problem is to start with so for that a huge well done is deserved. What I would personally recommend is to maybe following up with a therapist session or a counsellor to start understanding what your triggers are when you start becoming anxious.

I hope this helps you in some way, if you cannot arrange one why not go ahead to Childline and speak to a counsellor there? They're really helpful and everything is kept confidential.
You could try pet sitting.
Reply 3
Original post by Other_Owl
You could try pet sitting.

That is something I was considering but with Coronavirus I’m not sure how that would work safely or how to get clients.
Reply 4
Original post by matt3011
I also have social anxiety and I hate the idea of retail jobs. I worked at one for a few months and thats it. I understand how you're feeling, I hope it gets better and I'm sorry I don't have any advice.

You’re brave for working there even for a few months! I couldn’t even finish my taster day in a corner shop aha. Anxiety sucks but I hope things work out for you too.
Reply 5
Original post by Tamzinp
You've been very brave for actually admitting what your problem is to start with so for that a huge well done is deserved. What I would personally recommend is to maybe following up with a therapist session or a counsellor to start understanding what your triggers are when you start becoming anxious.

I hope this helps you in some way, if you cannot arrange one why not go ahead to Childline and speak to a counsellor there? They're really helpful and everything is kept confidential.

Thank you so much. Therapy is another long story... I’ve had it since I was 12, got released when I was 18. Tried it again but got ghosted by her and I considered going private but it’s expensive as hell and I’m still a mess in social situations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending