benjamin80
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've noticed the HMRC asks for two personal referees and one academic/employer referee. I'd not be too happy for them to contact my current employer as I am still working for them. I am just wondering what happens if I select NO to the question "I consent to my academic / employer referee being contacted"? Can anyone advise? Thank you!
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by benjamin80)
I've noticed the HMRC asks for two personal referees and one academic/employer referee. I'd not be too happy for them to contact my current employer as I am still working for them. I am just wondering what happens if I select NO to the question "I consent to my academic / employer referee being contacted"? Can anyone advise? Thank you!
It's normal to not want to notify your existing employer that you are looking for another job. Thus if you tick 'no' that would be perfectly acceptable.
Waldorf67
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
It's normal to not want to notify your existing employer that you are looking for another job. Thus if you tick 'no' that would be perfectly acceptable.
I wouldn’t tick no, it could affect your application.

OP, I work in HMRC. They’ll only contact your references once they provide you with a provisional offer, so you’ve more or less got the job.

I’d tick yes. When you get that provisional offer (trust me it won’t happen in a hurry), then think about having a conversation with your current employer.

Although keep in mind it took me 6 months from when I got my provisional offer to have my formal offer. And this is the norm...
benjamin80
Rep:
?
(Original post by Waldorf67)
I wouldn’t tick no, it could affect your application.

OP, I work in HMRC. They’ll only contact your references once they provide you with a provisional offer, so you’ve more or less got the job.

I’d tick yes. When you get that provisional offer (trust me it won’t happen in a hurry), then think about having a conversation with your current employer.

Although keep in mind it took me 6 months from when I got my provisional offer to have my formal offer. And this is the norm...
What about providing one of my previous employers?
benjamin80
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
"My employer referee" means the current employer? Could my referee be one of my previous employers?
Waldorf67
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by benjamin80)
What about providing one of my previous employers?
Yes a previous employer would actually be better
benjamin80
Rep:
?
(Original post by Waldorf67)
Yes a previous employer would actually be better
HMRC has just completed the pre-employment checks. Do you know how long it takes to be contacted to agree on a start date? I've a month notice to give to my current employer. Do you know if it's possible to postpone the start date? I've pre-booked holidays as well.

Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (98)
58.68%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
10.78%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (21)
12.57%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.19%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.39%

Watched Threads