aesamira
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi again ahah, ok so I’ve been doing some more research into what I think I’d enjoy and I have three final options to choose from and want some opinions on what would be the strongest combinations. If it helps - I don’t know what I want to study at uni yet or what job or career I’m interested in, and I’m quite average at maths, and my favourite gcse subject is business
1) Maths, Physics, Economics
2) Maths, Biology, Economics
3) Maths, Economics, Politics
4) Maths, Politics, Economics, Further Maths

Thanks in advance
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by aesamira)
Hi again ahah, ok so I’ve been doing some more research into what I think I’d enjoy and I have three final options to choose from and want some opinions on what would be the strongest combinations. If it helps - I don’t know what I want to study at uni yet or what job or career I’m interested in, and I’m quite average at maths, and my favourite gcse subject is business
1) Maths, Physics, Economics
2) Maths, Biology, Economics
3) Maths, Economics, Politics
4) Maths, Politics, Economics, Further Maths

Thanks in advance
Hey aesamira

I'd suggest working out first if you want to do anything to do with science in the future such as engineering perhaps which would require maths and physics
Or if you'd rather do something more essay based such as law for example - in which case maths economics and politics would be a good combination (no set subjects are required for law though)

Maybe have a look at some different courses on UCAS to see if any take your fancy, as then you can look at the A-level requirements too

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They are all very strong combinations aesamira!

Which one of those four do you see yourself doing?

I am assuming you are going to do a Maths-based degree and so I don’t think Biology will be necessary for that - but if you enjoy it then take it!
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey aesamira

I'd suggest working out first if you want to do anything to do with science in the future such as engineering perhaps which would require maths and physics
Or if you'd rather do something more essay based such as law for example - in which case maths economics and politics would be a good combination (no set subjects are required for law though)

Maybe have a look at some different courses on UCAS to see if any take your fancy, as then you can look at the A-level requirements too

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Hi!! Thanks for the reply. I’d say I’m quite interested in doing a Law or Economics/Business related degree. I’m not sure yet but they both seem to interest me quite a bit
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
They are all very strong combinations aesamira!

Which one of those four do you see yourself doing?

I am assuming you are going to do a Maths-based degree and so I don’t think Biology will be necessary for that - but if you enjoy it then take it!
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I’d say out of the four, my favourite combination is Maths, Economics and Politics or Maths, Economics and Biology. Although biology is kind of irrelevant, I enjoy the GCSE so I might enjoy the A level haha. But with Politics, I’ve never done anything related to it so I’m no sure if I’d enjoy - but it seems interesting! What option would you say is best for a Law or Economics/Business related degree
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by aesamira)
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I’d say out of the four, my favourite combination is Maths, Economics and Politics or Maths, Economics and Biology. Although biology is kind of irrelevant, I enjoy the GCSE so I might enjoy the A level haha. But with Politics, I’ve never done anything related to it so I’m no sure if I’d enjoy - but it seems interesting! What option would you say is best for a Law or Economics/Business related degree
Hi!

No problem! So let's break down the careers and the A-Level subjects required.

Law
The great thing about Law is that it doesn't require any specific subjects but an essay subject would be useful as there will be a lot of essay writing at university!
I don't take Economics but I have heard there are long mark answers.
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/law

Economics
A-Level Economics is not as important as Maths/Further Maths for an Economics degree. I would definitely take Further Maths just to make you more competitive.
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/economics

Business
Business has no specific A-Level requirements and since you said you want to do Maths, that's great!
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subject...rative-studies

Ah, if you enjoy Biology then do definitely take it! If you don't like it, you can always switch when you start A-Levels. Usually, you have until December to swap options, but check with your school.

My friend takes Politics and there is a lot of content and essay writing - but don't let this put you off. Perhaps, look at textbooks and past papers to gain an insight into your A-Levels.

So, according to what I have suggested, these are all the A-Level options you could possibly consider:
Biology
Economics
Politics
Further Maths
Maths
Physics

I would recommend taking 4 only if you want to do Further Maths as one. Otherwise, universities only look for 3 A-Levels.

I think both combinations are great but ultimately it is your choice.

Hopefully, this helped and didn't confuse you even more.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (304)
55.68%
I don't have everything I need (242)
44.32%

Watched Threads