Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, not really sure whether this is in the right place, but anyways. I am moving onto a different school for sixth form this September and I was browsing their website. And I came across this on the sixth form page

This is a famous puzzle:

Three people are eating at a restaurant. The waiter gives them the bill, which totals up to £30. The three people decide to share the expense equally (£10 each), rather than figure out how much each really owes. The waiter gives the bill and the £30 to the manager, who sees that they have been overcharged. The real amount should be £25. He gives the waiter five £1 notes to return to the customers, with the restaurant's apologies. But, the waiter is a dishonest man. He puts £2 in his pocket, and returns £3 to the customers. Now, each of the three customers has paid £9, for a total of £27. Add the £2 that the waiter has stolen, and you get £29. But, the original bill was £30. What happened to the missing pound?

I'll prob end up looking like a total idiot for not googling it but meh.

ReputationRep:
    There is no missing pound. It's a counting "mistake".

Here's your answer:

http://brainden.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20

ReputationRep:
    im confused

ReputationRep:
    Think it through logically and there is no missing pound ^^. well 30-25=5, 5-2=3, 3/3=1 for each customer.
    I remember when my Geo teacher told us the 'puzzle' in class.

ReputationRep:
    £25 + £1 + £1 + £1 = £28.

£28 + £2 = £30.

Hurr durr.

ReputationRep:
    SHould be taking the £2 from £27 equaling £25 (£30 - the £5 returned = £25), easy

ReputationRep:
    why would you add the £27 to the £2 in the waiters pocket to try and get £30?

The bill total is £25 plus the £2 "tip" for the waiter , making it £27, divide by 3 people means they pay £9 each which they did.

Silly puzzle tries to add pointless parts together to get numbers it shouldn't!

ReputationRep:
    The real puzzle is how the manager managed to get £1 notes.

ReputationRep:
    The solution to that bit is that the person who got the puzzle decided that changing it from dollars to pounds would make it easier for simplistic Brits to understand.

ReputationRep:
    person at table decided to actually not eat another bread roll or something, hence a pound of weight not gained hence missing etc. Blah.

Or someone went to the toilet and laid a pound... :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sziphix)
    The real puzzle is how the manager managed to get £1 notes.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.