How many lessons do you need to have for auto?

Watch
Thecrazydoughnut
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey all. Hope you’re all well.

How many lessons did you do for auto lessons? Is it worth it to do auto lessons please?

Thank you very much. 😊
Sh_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, I got a manual licence and drive automatic. The biggest learning curve is probably the clutch and gears, and manoeuvres so yeah, manual will take a bit longer but I think it’s worth it because it really allowed me to get confident in my driving abilities. I had about 25 hours of lessons before my test and passed first time.
Thecrazydoughnut
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sh_A)
Hey, I got a manual licence and drive automatic. The biggest learning curve is probably the clutch and gears, and manoeuvres so yeah, manual will take a bit longer but I think it’s worth it because it really allowed me to get confident in my driving abilities. I had about 25 hours of lessons before my test and passed first time.
Thank you for your reply. I was specifically asking for automatic only. But it’s fine. I just want to know if I’m wasting my time in learning auto rather then go manual? I’m planning to buy an auto car anyways?
axc5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey! I'm learning in auto and I anticipate being able to take my test soon.

I've had about 18 hours so far, but with uni, I stopped lessons after Christmas and planned to take some more over Easter with the hopes of passing during summer.

Obviously, with coronavirus, I wasn't able to take any lessons at Easter and so I haven't driven since early January. Otherwise, I imagine I would have only needed a few more hours - 25 maybe total? I'm not sure what the average is, but that's where I'm at! I'll probably need a few to refresh me before I finish up manoeuvres now though.
Sh_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In terms of saving time, yes. You should just do automatic lessons if you’re going to definitely drive an automatic car.
richmkay
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Personally, I would take a manual licence as if you just do an auto, you're limited to ONLY driving automatics. Its gives you that freedom to choose between either a manual or auto

Manuals can be tricky to begin with but after a lesson or two, its like second nature
Thecrazydoughnut
Rep:
?
(Original post by axc5)
Hey! I'm learning in auto and I anticipate being able to take my test soon.

I've had about 18 hours so far, but with uni, I stopped lessons after Christmas and planned to take some more over Easter with the hopes of passing during summer.

Obviously, with coronavirus, I wasn't able to take any lessons at Easter and so I haven't driven since early January. Otherwise, I imagine I would have only needed a few more hours - 25 maybe total? I'm not sure what the average is, but that's where I'm at! I'll probably need a few to refresh me before I finish up manoeuvres now though.
Thank you for your reply. That puts me at ease abit. I’ve had 10 lessons before covid and I can finally start my lessons again tomorrow.

My driving journey hasn’t been easy. I started off in manual however couldn’t get used to it, I quit found someone else but that too flopped. Until I finally found this automatic lessons and I’m enjoying it so much. I’ve learnt so much from him as it is and he’s quite patient too unlike my other instructors.

How’s your lessons before covid?
Thecrazydoughnut
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sh_A)
In terms of saving time, yes. You should just do automatic lessons if you’re going to definitely drive an automatic car.
Thank you. Yes, I get you’re restricted if you learn in auto but that’s just me. I’m never going to grasp Manual might as well go and excell in an automatic.

Thanks once again. 😊
Thecrazydoughnut
Rep:
?
(Original post by richmkay)
Personally, I would take a manual licence as if you just do an auto, you're limited to ONLY driving automatics. Its gives you that freedom to choose between either a manual or auto

Manuals can be tricky to begin with but after a lesson or two, its like second nature
I’ve had many lessons in a Manual and I can’t just figure it out. I get so stuck and my mind can’t compute.

I have this far enjoyed all my lessons in an auto so might as well continue.

Thank you very much for your response. 😊
axc5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
Thank you for your reply. That puts me at ease abit. I’ve had 10 lessons before covid and I can finally start my lessons again tomorrow.

My driving journey hasn’t been easy. I started off in manual however couldn’t get used to it, I quit found someone else but that too flopped. Until I finally found this automatic lessons and I’m enjoying it so much. I’ve learnt so much from him as it is and he’s quite patient too unlike my other instructors.

How’s your lessons before covid?
I just figured that auto would be less stressful for me, and given that the plan was always going to be for me to get myself an auto car anyway (as pretty much everything is available in auto these days) it just wouldn't make sense for me to learn manual!

Mine were going well thank you, I have my first one booked back in and I'm actually really excited!

I'm so glad you feel more at ease with your new instructor too, there's really nothing wrong with learning auto (in my opinion) as there's just so much availability nowadays - I don't feel limited by it at all.
Thecrazydoughnut
Rep:
?
(Original post by axc5)
I just figured that auto would be less stressful for me, and given that the plan was always going to be for me to get myself an auto car anyway (as pretty much everything is available in auto these days) it just wouldn't make sense for me to learn manual!

Mine were going well thank you, I have my first one booked back in and I'm actually really excited!

I'm so glad you feel more at ease with your new instructor too, there's really nothing wrong with learning auto (in my opinion) as there's just so much availability nowadays - I don't feel limited by it at all.
That’s the same as me. What I was planning to do is get an automatic car now(before my test) so I have more chances of passing. Is that reasonable? I would already be forking out a lot on lessons so to borrow the car for this test would be alright for me financially but I would like to save. Make sense? I was recently looking for cars but don’t know how to go about buying one.

Any tips please? Thank you. 😊
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My mate from Hereford did his manual with a week's worth of lessons (So that'd be around 10 - 14 hours ).

I've heard of people doing auto on around 10 or so hours
Free81
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I just wanted to add in my 2 cents as I've been driving for 21 years now. And in those 21 years, there have been many times where I've needed to drive a different car for a period of time, and it's always ended up being a manual. Examples being:

• To borrow a car because mine wasn't working/being fixed. This has happened quite a few times because up until a handful of years ago, I couldn't afford brand spanking new cars. So I used to borrow my mum or Dads car. Or a car from the garage if it was being fixed and they had one spare.
• Hiring a van myself to do a house move (partner didn't have a credit card in order to hire it himself). Much cheaper than spending hundreds of £££ on a removal company. The vans I've hired had all been manual.
• Sharing the driving in a friend/relatives car to places. All been manual.
• Driving a bf's car home because he'd had too much to drink.
• Hiring a car on holiday. Automatics cost more... like double. Unless you go to the US where they're all automatics.

If I didn't pass my test in a manual, I think at some points in my life I would have been pretty screwed. Not only that, having recently gotten a lease car and searching around for prices, I found automatics definitely came at a higher price. I opted for one this time, but I'd say I could have definitely gotten a manual version of my car cheaper.

I can remember when I had lessons and trying to grasp the whole clutch and gears and whatnot. It took me ages. But one day it suddenly clicked. I used to have extra practise with my Dad in an empty car park at night. Once it clicked, it really didn't take long for it to be second nature. And then you never forget.

Just some food for thought.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
28.26%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
18.94%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
29.5%

Watched Threads