Am i wrong for wanting to drive an automatic?

Watch
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hi!

so im going to start learning to drive after the pandemic is over.

i want to learn in an automatic and only drive automatic cars. i have no interest in driving a manual, it stresses me out and i just find it so confusing and basically just prefer autos haha!

is this ok? is it fine for me to just drive and learn auto?
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by babyshark)
hi!

i want to learn in an automatic and only drive automatic cars. i have no interest in driving a manual, it stresses me out and i just find it so confusing and basically just prefer autos haha!

Once you learn to drive a manual, you can drive any car.

I learned in a manual, but have driven an automatic ever since, so personally I'd say... if it doesn't bother you that much then do it.
richmkay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I literally just posted in another thread, if your positive your only ever going to drive an automatic then its fine, however, you then don't have the choice or ability to drive a manual without resitting another test.

Its whatever works for you I guess
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It sounds a little lazy tbh, how will you deal with the other confusing parts?, and I say that as an auto driver.
babyshark
Rep:
?
(Original post by MKaur18)
Once you learn to drive a manual, you can drive any car.

I learned in a manual, but have driven an automatic ever since, so personally I'd say... if it doesn't bother you that much then do it.
okay thanks!
babyshark
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
It sounds a little lazy tbh, how will you deal with the other confusing parts?, and I say that as an auto driver.
i just mean that i have learned the basics and will continue to learn the more advanced things as i learn to drive etc. i just personally find the whole idea of learning manual not worth it for me personally as it makes the whole idea of driving more stressful for me
babyshark
Rep:
?
(Original post by richmkay)
I literally just posted in another thread, if your positive your only ever going to drive an automatic then its fine, however, you then don't have the choice or ability to drive a manual without resitting another test.

Its whatever works for you I guess
I am 100% sure I only want to drive automatic cars
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i just mean that i have learned the basics and will continue to learn the more advanced things as i learn to drive etc. i just personally find the whole idea of learning manual not worth it for me personally as it makes the whole idea of driving more stressful for me
If you're absolutely sure then yeah it's an option. but the trend still seems to be for people to learn manual and the pass rates are higher. I personally feel better knowing I can drive either if needed.
babyshark
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
If you're absolutely sure then yeah it's an option. but the trend still seems to be for people to learn manual and the pass rates are higher. I personally feel better knowing I can drive either if needed.
i understand that but i have a blind parent so the quicker i can learn to drive, the better. it just seems more natural for me to drive an auto so i feel like i could learn quicker!
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi I've moved this to the Learning to Drive forum :hugs: :auto:
Last edited by Chronoscope; 4 months ago
babyshark
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Hi I've moved this to the Learning to Drive forum[s]hugs[/s] [s]auto[/s]
So sorry! I’m still working out where to post things haha!
Psychsie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why would it be wrong? It’s all down to personal preference. If you’re planning on driving an auto after you pass and in the future, then as I see it it’s perfectly fine to pass in auto! Hell, I did and I’m doing alright 😂
babyshark
Rep:
?
(Original post by Psychsie)
Why would it be wrong? It’s all down to personal preference. If you’re planning on driving an auto after you pass and in the future, then as I see it it’s perfectly fine to pass in auto! Hell, I did and I’m doing alright 😂
Haha thank you! I was looking at posts in the car forums and everyone was being rude to automatic learners so I just wondered if I was doing it wrong haha!
Prince Bill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hi!

If you get an automatic license, you are tied to automatic cars. If you get a manual license, you have the choice. Right now it may seem logical to have an automatic license, but in the future, you may be required to drive hire cars for work, or minibuses or all sorts. It makes no sense to get an automatic license. That said, there is nothing wrong with automatic cars.
babyshark
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prince Bill)
If you get an automatic license, you are tied to automatic cars. If you get a manual license, you have the choice. Right now it may seem logical to have an automatic license, but in the future, you may be required to drive hire cars for work, or minibuses or all sorts. It makes no sense to get an automatic license. That said, there is nothing wrong with automatic cars.
No offence, but I will not get a job where I need to drive minibuses and I can always get automatic hire cars? Having a blind parent, I need to drive and an automatic best suits me!
Psychsie
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Haha thank you! I was looking at posts in the car forums and everyone was being rude to automatic learners so I just wondered if I was doing it wrong haha!
Not at all! Don’t worry about them, honestly had the same problem. Like I and some of the others above me said, it’s all down to personal circumstance and choice. I chose auto as at the time I didn’t have the time or money to spend on manual. I had a terminally ill family member and needed the license. I struggled with manual before and honestly enjoy driving auto. I’m perfectly happy sticking to auto cars in the future so auto I chose 😂
babyshark
Rep:
?
Not at all! Don’t worry about them, honestly had the same problem. Like I and some of the others above me said, it’s all down to personal circumstance and choice. I chose auto as at the time I didn’t have the time or money to spend on manual. I had a terminally ill family member and needed the license. I struggled with manual before and honestly enjoy driving auto. I’m perfectly happy sticking to auto cars in the future so auto I chose 😂
Haha thanks! I have a blind parent so I need my licence! I’m sorry to hear about your family member
Psychsie
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Haha thanks! I have a blind parent so I need my licence! I’m sorry to hear about your family member
Thank you and definitely don’t worry about manual if it’s easier for you! It’ll get you from point A to point B at the end of the day 😂 good luck with getting your licence!!
babyshark
Rep:
?
Thank you and definitely don’t worry about manual if it’s easier for you! It’ll get you from point A to point B at the end of the day 😂 good luck with getting your licence!!
That’s exactly my thoughts haha! Thank you!! )
username3518358
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
To be honest the way things are going automatics are becoming more and more common anyway... I wouldn’t worry about it, do what you feel is right for you, there is no harm doing an automatic only licence!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (652)
41.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (324)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.6%

Watched Threads