Statement from the Secretary of State for Health & Social Care, VM605.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Statement from the Secretary of State for Health & Social Care, VM605

Mr Speaker, the House overwhelmingly voted in favour of a Motion to reopen animal attractions, and the Government has committed to responding to all Motions approved by this House.

The Government understands the financial burden the country is facing from COVID-19, and wants all businesses to reopen as soon as it is safe and practical to do so. From the beginning, public safety has remained and will continue to remain our main priority. However, we understand that it is safe for some businesses in the leisure industry to reopen, whilst keeping customers safe.

I can update the House, that since this Motion was put to the House on the 6 June, zoos and safari parks have been permitted to open reopen since the 15 June, provided that social distancing measures are in place. From 4 July, indoor attractions such as museums, galleries, aquariums, zoos, safari parks, farms and wildlife centres will also be allowed to reopen.

All establishments must ensure they are able to comply with the current Government guidelines to ensure they are 'COVID secure', and must ensure they safely limit numbers and enforce social distancing rules; to be clear this should be at a distance of 2 metres, or where this is not possible, a distance of at least 1 metre at all times.

Attractions which cannot ensure a safe social distance of at least 1 metre, will not be allowed to reopen. I am confident though, that these changes will allow zoos and other animal attractions to safely reopen.

We will continue to review all measures on a regular basis, and I can assure the House we will do our best to open all establishments as quickly and as safely as is possible.

I commend this Statement to the House.
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am glad that these attractions can reopen. Especially aquariums which rely so heavily on tourism and donations in order to keep the marine life safe. Of course this applies to all animal and other creature attractions also, I just have a soft spot for sea creatures and mammals
Theloniouss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A good response to a sensible motion
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, in light of replying to all passed motions i support this statement.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A pointless statement that doesn't tell us something we didn't already know.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
True however a few weeks ago your bretheryn were whining that other motions had not received a response. Thus all of them now do.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I of course support this statement.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Another one where I think a short note in AtG would probably have been sufficient, especially as everything called for has already been implemented.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
VM605 response - tick.
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Another one where I think a short note in AtG would probably have been sufficient, especially as everything called for has already been implemented.
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
You are both right, the Statement is only in line with the RL measures. A little annoying as the Motion passed and by the time we got round to drafting (given I only moved into the role this week), RL events and measures caught up with us.

We have committed to responding to all passed Motions though, so felt we needed to do this. You are right though, maybe we can look at ways of producing a note or something in the ATG thread, but it would need to be something which the House felt was still sufficient enough from the Govt
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm sympathetic to the response being made somewhat redundant by fast-paced changes coming from RL. I experienced it myself when the motion originally went to division, so I am not about to criticise the Government for also becoming victims of that unfortunate timing.

Anyways, I appreciate the response. :yy:
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hear, hear! Once again, the government demonstrates that it listens to the people and makes changes accordingly!
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Unown Uzer)
Hear, hear! Once again, the government demonstrates that it listens to the people and makes changes accordingly!
You are praising the government for copying real life. Did you bother reading the statement?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The government does like doing things with absolutely no notice being given.

And naturally this government is stating the status quo, it has a habit of trying to pass off the actions of the RL government as its own.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

And naturally this government is stating the status quo, it has a habit of trying to pass off the actions of the RL government as its own.
Do you disagree with the actions the government is taking?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Do you disagree with the actions the government is taking?
The government is taking actions?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The government is taking actions?
According to your post, yes:

Unless doing things now means not doing things? :iiam:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
According to your post, yes:

Unless doing things now means not doing things? :iiam:
Ignoring the fact the RL government has implemented the same measures a week and a half prior to this statement (despite this the government did as it always does and pressed on with looking like it's doing things anyway) those affected would have had mere hours to prepare, exactly as could theoretically be the case with your coronaphobic MR.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ignoring the fact the RL government has implemented the same measures a week and a half prior to this statement (despite this the government did as it always does and pressed on with looking like it's doing things anyway) those affected would have had mere hours to prepare, exactly as could theoretically be the case with your coronaphobic MR.
Do you disagree with the actions of the RL government?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you disagree with the actions of the RL government?
Yes, they do not go far enough. I thought you were supposed to be intelligent.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (76)
40.86%
Take autumn exams (61)
32.8%
Look for a job (5)
2.69%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.23%
Take a year out (26)
13.98%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
6.45%

Watched Threads