Ahmed2004
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What is your advice for an S5 student? resources, tips, or anything you find beneficial...
Advertisement
Horsesarethebest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Start studying early, get into good habits from the beginning of the year by doing a little bit often and as it comes closer to prelims and exams increase the duration of studying. Work hard on the assignments as they are 20% of your grade. Make use of the school library to use different study guides to find what suits you the best and use bbc bite size it’s quite good for a lot of subjects.
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what subjects are you taking Ahmed2004? that way I can give specific advice, fortunately , if you luckily chose the same subjects as me

I did english, maths, geography, physics, chemistry, psychology, biology and mandarin at SQA higher level (not all in S5 - 1 in S4, 5 in S5 and 2 in S6)
Last edited by stereotypeasian; 1 month ago
Advertisement
Anonymous856
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ahmed2004)
What is your advice for an S5 student? resources, tips, or anything you find beneficial...
Scholar (a website) is a massive help for me, a lot of content there!
Ahmed2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
what subjects are you taking Ahmed2004? that way I can give specific advice, fortunately , if you luckily chose the same subjects as me

I did english, maths, geography, physics, chemistry, psychology, biology and mandarin at SQA higher level (not all in S5 - 1 in S4, 5 in S5 and 2 in S6)
This year (S5), I'll do English, maths, French, computing and modern studies all at Higher level. I feel a bit scared of English, can you tell me how did you study and what resources did you use? Thank you in advance!
Advertisement
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This year (S5), I'll do English, maths, French, computing and modern studies all at Higher level. I feel a bit scared of English, can you tell me how did you study and what resources did you use? Thank you in advance!
English - being honest I struggled with the jump between national 5 English and higher English, for the folio pieces (discursive and personal/creative) put your heart and soul in them and do topics that interest in to increase the likely-hood of receiving an A at the end of the year, for the Scottish texts you will have an additional question at the end which is comparing two scenes/works by author make mind-maps to help you, study cards to remember quotes for paper 2 (essay and Scottish text) , RUAE find/ask English department and remember the formula for answering the types of questions, RUAE and Scottish text answer in bullet points so its quicker and bring highlighters into the english exam to highlight key words in the questions asked and highlight what you may be analysing in the passage

I will say that its ok to fail English class tests during the first few months and everyone that I know , including me, who got a B in the prelim got an A in the final exam/August results day
google formula sheets for RUAE at there will be a lot like these https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/gl...g-Formulas.pdf
https://quizlet.com/117547414/englis...a-flash-cards/
https://bearsdeneng.files.wordpress....ng-formula.pdf

Maths - I just did the homework and found more questions to do for fun so it is repetitive and will stick in my head, write down all your working so you can get some marks even if you get the wrong answer

French - try and find french podcasts to listen to so french is integrated into your everyday life, read BBC news articles in french so same idea but this time for reading, look at every SQA higher modern language exam that they do right now and make a list of every question that has been asked in the writing that is in the same paper of the reading paper

computing - learn the definitions and understand their use in them, past papers because I think they can get pretty repetitive?

Modern Studies - try and condense your notes from early in the year for each different topic, past papers because I know they can get pretty repetitive, PEEL on it , mindmaps may help a social subject like this, read the news (haha sorry for the cliche , meme version of modies)

resources - past papers from as far back as 2000/2001 if I could find them, I personally prefer Leckie leckie textbooks to how pass ones but you'll have your personal preference as well but they are both helpful, BBC bitesize condensed notes so sometimes its good but other times they do cut it way too short, youtube channels if I could find them, Hamlet was my critical essay topic at the end of paper 2 so I watched as many versions as I could so it could stick in my brain, scholar which I have found too late at the end of S6 but it is helpful, asking to borrow and work together with people who have already finished your higher subjects in the year above and working together and having fun banter with people in my higher classes

good luck
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for the recommendations Anonymous856 and stereotypeasian!

Our Higher courses currently include English, maths, French and computing.
Last edited by SCHOLARuk; 1 month ago
Advertisement
Ahmed2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
English - being honest I struggled with the jump between national 5 English and higher English, for the folio pieces (discursive and personal/creative) put your heart and soul in them and do topics that interest in to increase the likely-hood of receiving an A at the end of the year, for the Scottish texts you will have an additional question at the end which is comparing two scenes/works by author make mind-maps to help you, study cards to remember quotes for paper 2 (essay and Scottish text) , RUAE find/ask English department and remember the formula for answering the types of questions, RUAE and Scottish text answer in bullet points so its quicker and bring highlighters into the english exam to highlight key words in the questions asked and highlight what you may be analysing in the passage

I will say that its ok to fail English class tests during the first few months and everyone that I know , including me, who got a B in the prelim got an A in the final exam/August results day
google formula sheets for RUAE at there will be a lot like these https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/gl...g-Formulas.pdf
https://quizlet.com/117547414/englis...a-flash-cards/
https://bearsdeneng.files.wordpress....ng-formula.pdf

Maths - I just did the homework and found more questions to do for fun so it is repetitive and will stick in my head, write down all your working so you can get some marks even if you get the wrong answer

French - try and find french podcasts to listen to so french is integrated into your everyday life, read BBC news articles in french so same idea but this time for reading, look at every SQA higher modern language exam that they do right now and make a list of every question that has been asked in the writing that is in the same paper of the reading paper

computing - learn the definitions and understand their use in them, past papers because I think they can get pretty repetitive?

Modern Studies - try and condense your notes from early in the year for each different topic, past papers because I know they can get pretty repetitive, PEEL on it , mindmaps may help a social subject like this, read the news (haha sorry for the cliche , meme version of modies)

resources - past papers from as far back as 2000/2001 if I could find them, I personally prefer Leckie leckie textbooks to how pass ones but you'll have your personal preference as well but they are both helpful, BBC bitesize condensed notes so sometimes its good but other times they do cut it way too short, youtube channels if I could find them, Hamlet was my critical essay topic at the end of paper 2 so I watched as many versions as I could so it could stick in my brain, scholar which I have found too late at the end of S6 but it is helpful, asking to borrow and work together with people who have already finished your higher subjects in the year above and working together and having fun banter with people in my higher classes

good luck
Probably these are the most beneficial tips and tricks I have ever read! I will use all the useful resources you mentioned during my 5th year. I gotta admit I feel super enthusiastic to start this crucial year and try to get as many A's as possible. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I will send you my results next year
Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could buy How to pass / leckie leckie textbooks to help whilst revising and look at past papers as they give you an idea of what an exam paper looks like.
Last edited by Kubsyy; 1 month ago
Advertisement
Button212
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
stay on top of revision- if the exams hadn’t been cancelled this year I’d have been screwed lmaoo
Nerdythings
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think continuing to read really helps. Just persevere and it’ll become less of a chore and more enjoyable over time. Articles from the guardian can be really useful just to get you used to the kind of stuff that appears in RUAE
Advertisement
Flk10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For S5, I think it’s really important to get into a good studying routine right from the start. You should set a certain amount of time that you will study for each night/weekend and treat it as non-negotiable. 2 and a half hours on a school night and 6 hours over the weekend is a good place to start and that can then increase as you get closer to exams.

Past papers are definitely important but I think a lot of people get too bogged down in trying to do hundreds of past papers. It’s also important to understand and learn the subject content, which you can do through note-taking, mindmaps etc.

With Modern Studies and English, there are really only a few variations of questions that can come up in the exam. So just make sure you really know your content and you’ll be able to answer them.

I’d also say really put effort into your coursework(or whatever it’s called now). You’ll have a lot of time to work on this during the year and it can really push your grade over the line from a B to an A.

Good luck! S5 can be quite an intense year but if you work hard and get what you need this year, you can really have quite a chilled and relaxed S6 rather than having to stress about meeting university offers.
thepunmaster.e
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve just finished S5, my biggest advice would be to take prelims seriously. I messed around at prelims and got much lower grades than I need for my dream university, and then exams were cancelled Luckily it all worked out in the end but it made March- August really stressful as I didn’t know if I was going to get the grades.

Apart from that, just try and stay on top of things and finish them as soon as you get set them. It’s very easy to fall behind in S5, even though you are doing less subjects they are in more detail, if this happens please get help as soon as you can.

Ultimately, yes S5 is a stressful year but just put in all the work you can because if you get what you need for uni/whatever you want to do it really is worth it
Advertisement
Ahmed2004
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by thepunmaster.e)
I’ve just finished S5, my biggest advice would be to take prelims seriously. I messed around at prelims and got much lower grades than I need for my dream university, and then exams were cancelled Luckily it all worked out in the end but it made March- August really stressful as I didn’t know if I was going to get the grades.

Apart from that, just try and stay on top of things and finish them as soon as you get set them. It’s very easy to fall behind in S5, even though you are doing less subjects they are in more detail, if this happens please get help as soon as you can.

Ultimately, yes S5 is a stressful year but just put in all the work you can because if you get what you need for uni/whatever you want to do it really is worth it
yeah this year was really stressful and challenging for everyone.
what subjects did you do?
i hope you meet your dream university requirements
thank you in advance <3
thepunmaster.e
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah this year was really stressful and challenging for everyone.
what subjects did you do?
i hope you meet your dream university requirements
thank you in advance <3
I did Higher English, French, History, Geography and Music, and thank you I did
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (163)
24.85%
Better than expected (132)
20.12%
Worse than expected (361)
55.03%

Watched Threads