The Student Room Group

IB Results Day 2020: Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

hi guys, is there any news on the appeals process? when will any results from it come out or have any colleges gotten a response?
My daughter did not get her IB diploma because of receiving a 2 in her HL, even though her predicted score was 5. She has an offer from the University of Glasgow, the requirement for that is 34, and her final score is a 26, although in 4 subjects her scores are extremely marginal to get a higher grade. I don't know what options we have/
I have a friend in physics SL that did NOT ask for a remark who got a grade change (from a 5 to a 6). However, I believe the school did ask for a collective class grade appeal.On the other hand, I am still waiting for a response for my grade appeal in physics HL :frown:
Original post by RashmiJain123
My daughter did not get her IB diploma because of receiving a 2 in her HL, even though her predicted score was 5. She has an offer from the University of Glasgow, the requirement for that is 34, and her final score is a 26, although in 4 subjects her scores are extremely marginal to get a higher grade. I don't know what options we have/

Ask the school to appeal. That is a large drop from what you were expecting and doesn’t sound right. If the school can show Positive stats on their PG to actual & moderated IA versus teacher IA I’m sure that will help. It’s worth trying. Also email the Uni and ask coordinator to do the same. Good luck 🤞
Thank you. After unsuccessful remarking school has made an appeal. Meanwhile both universities rejected her as 26 is too less.
Anyone heard anything back from appeals?
Reply 506
Original post by paddywady
I have a friend in physics SL that did NOT ask for a remark who got a grade change (from a 5 to a 6). However, I believe the school did ask for a collective class grade appeal.On the other hand, I am still waiting for a response for my grade appeal in physics HL :frown:

Heyy, how long did your friend wait for the grade to change after submitting the appeal? I'm waiting for a response in chem hl, appeal submitted over 2 wks ago- no feedback :s-smilie: good luck with physics!
What would happen if the results of an IB appeal came through after 31 August? Eg son missed Oxford offer, gets upgraded post appeal but not until September? Would he have to wait until 2021? Would he even be guaranteed a 2021 place? TIA.
Original post by LiverpoolDad
What would happen if the results of an IB appeal came through after 31 August? Eg son missed Oxford offer, gets upgraded post appeal but not until September? Would he have to wait until 2021? Would he even be guaranteed a 2021 place? TIA.

UCAS deadline has moved slightly this year to 7th September - not sure if this helps.
Reply 509
Original post by LiverpoolDad

It is very likely that he would be offered a 2021 place if the appeal was not resolved before 7/9 but he did get the grades in the end.
Original post by TCL
It is very likely that he would be offered a 2021 place if the appeal was not resolved before 7/9 but he did get the grades in the end.

Fingers crossed, both that the grades are increased and that this is true. The 7/9 news is helpful too - thank you.
Reply 511
Have you seen the discussion between Norway (Norwegian Data Protection Authority) and IB?

Short and important part (from my point of view)
"The information you provided has not mitigated our concerns regarding the fairness of the processing, the transparency towards IB students nor the correctness of the personal data processed. We are therefore notifying you of our intent to make the decision outlined below, which includes an order for you to redo the awarding of final grades"

Norway´s assumptions are based on EU law (meaning - according to them the IB ****ed up for all EU (and EEA) students.
Hopefully we hear about appeals before A level results are released.
Does anyone know how long does an individual appeal take? I think mine is labelled priority because I missed both my firm and insurance offer.
Original post by Lulach
Have you seen the discussion between Norway (Norwegian Data Protection Authority) and IB?

Short and important part (from my point of view)
"The information you provided has not mitigated our concerns regarding the fairness of the processing, the transparency towards IB students nor the correctness of the personal data processed. We are therefore notifying you of our intent to make the decision outlined below, which includes an order for you to redo the awarding of final grades"

Norway´s assumptions are based on EU law (meaning - according to them the IB ****ed up for all EU (and EEA) students.

I hope that UK and the rest of EU get new grades based on predicted only, like Scotland. What do you think will happen next from the ib ?
Original post by Pucca10
I hope that UK and the rest of EU get new grades based on predicted only, like Scotland. What do you think will happen next from the ib ?

Now that A levels can use Mocks and Scotland PG, my worry is IB students are going to be left behind. How can they compete for Uni places, it’s not a level playing field. If the IB don’t budge and appeals don’t work, then hopefully universities will understand that IB students have been unfairly graded. 🤞🤞
Contact your countries DPA authority, send them Norway’s letter. Unfortunately we don’t have any politicians helping!
Original post by whl2018
Anyone heard anything back from appeals?

i asked for an appeal in chem HL because i was 1 mark off a 6, and it didn’t go up. a few weeks later i received a random email from my school saying my grade had gone up, i think it must’ve been a school appeal the second time.
Original post by molloy150
i asked for an appeal in chem HL because i was 1 mark off a 6, and it didn’t go up. a few weeks later i received a random email from my school saying my grade had gone up, i think it must’ve been a school appeal the second time.

Congratulations. I'm still waiting to hear about an appeal. Was hoping it would be back before tomorrow but it doesn't look like it...
Reply 519
Original post by Duncan2507
Now that A levels can use Mocks and Scotland PG, my worry is IB students are going to be left behind. How can they compete for Uni places, it’s not a level playing field. If the IB don’t budge and appeals don’t work, then hopefully universities will understand that IB students have been unfairly graded. 🤞🤞

It will be such a mess.. universities cannot physically take on hundreds of students on one course, but are legally obliged to take you if you meet the reqs. If they can't reject someone doing A-levels who met their reqs, they will reject a near miss IB (like myself) who shouldn't even be a near miss in the first place. If I could trade my current score for my mock grades I'd be here with 45 points. This is not the way to go- mocks content varies drastically among schools. IB students have literally been failed by everyone - I can only hope we won't be failed by the UK universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending