pjafm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
At first I wanted to do psychology but now I’ve been thinking sociology would be more suitable for me. I read an old thread on here that sociology isn’t really preferred by universities, is that true?
For someone who wants to go into law and/or politics, which one would be better?
I have chosen history and English literature. I chose psychology because I wanted to go into psychology and mental health when I’m older but not anymore.
I looked at Queen Mary’s requirements for their joint law and politics degree and it didn’t mention subjects.
Luna316
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I studied psychology and had a close friend who studied both, apparently they are pretty similar just different key term words. And neither are really respected by unis which is ridiculous tbh. So I would just do the subject that you like the look of the most.
I can tell you more about psychology and what the exams are like if you are interested but I don’t know much about sociology
pjafm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luna316)
I studied psychology and had a close friend who studied both, apparently they are pretty similar just different key term words. And neither are really respected by unis which is ridiculous tbh. So I would just do the subject that you like the look of the most.
I can tell you more about psychology and what the exams are like if you are interested but I don’t know much about sociology
How much biology/maths is in psychology? Did you find it difficult?
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pjafm)
How much biology/maths is in psychology? Did you find it difficult?
I know you weren't asking me but I also did A-Level Psych
Depends on your exam board but I did Edexcel and there was a whole section on biological psych but tbh it wasn't difficult at all, really basic biology like neurons, neurotransmitters, hormones and stuff. Also, I barely scraped a pass at maths GCSE but I was actually best at the maths in psychology haha, it's not hard at all just memorise the formulas and you'll be fine
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
the maths and biology in a level psychology only forms a v small portion of the specification, and it's not hard maths or biology. pick the subject you think you'd enjoy the most, i think most would view psychology and sociology on a pretty similar level as they are both social sciences.
pjafm
Rep:
?
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
I know you weren't asking me but I also did A-Level Psych
Depends on your exam board but I did Edexcel and there was a whole section on biological psych but tbh it wasn't difficult at all, really basic biology like neurons, neurotransmitters, hormones and stuff. Also, I barely scraped a pass at maths GCSE but I was actually best at the maths in psychology haha, it's not hard at all just memorise the formulas and you'll be fine
Thanks. My worry is that I didn’t ever get higher than 4s and 5s in both science and maths.
pjafm
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
the maths and biology in a level psychology only forms a v small portion of the specification, and it's not hard maths or biology. pick the subject you think you'd enjoy the most, i think most would view psychology and sociology on a pretty similar level as they are both social sciences.
Thanks. I’ve seen people say that universities would prefer psychology over sociology
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pjafm)
Thanks. I’ve seen people say that universities would prefer psychology over sociology
honestly best to contact uni admissions teams and ask, but i don't think they'll express a strong preference between the two.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pjafm)
Thanks. My worry is that I didn’t ever get higher than 4s and 5s in both science and maths.
Don't worry, science and maths weren't my strong points either and I did fine in Psychology - even doing it at degree now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed