University of Westminster freshers and coronavirus

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I would like to know and ask, especially for students of the University of Westminster if they feel as though they have been fully supported during this pandemic. I do not feel as though the university has taken into account the Covid issue when marking and instead has marked us (interior architecture) students very harshly. And then, they will not allow us to get a higher grade other than a pass when we resubmit. I wanted to know if anyone else feels as though this is unjust and fair, especially art students who were promised things and facilities that they did not receive during these troubling times and instead feel punishmed by the university. I have also recently discovered that those going onto a level that were not happy with their results are able to redo them in November, yet us university students are forced to resubmit WHILE Covid is still going on in July. Does this seem just to anybody? I'd like to collect as much information as I can about this issue.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
I am just finishing my third year at the University of Westminster in Politics and have found that the department I am under to have been particularly helpful throughout the COVID19 situation. I obviously cannot comment on the marking of some tutors for your course and your course is obviously much more practical based than mine.

Nonetheless, i was told by my tutors that any work that you feel has been affected by the virus (such as wifi issues or related to health) would be looked at on a case by case basis and be deferred to the summer to allow more time to complete it. I have done this for some assignments as I was impacted mainly with internet issues and accessing online documents. Usually the process of deferring is quite a difficult, delayed and thorough but on this occasion has been made quite easy. I was given a response within a couple of days and put at ease. On the matter of harsh marking, maybe this is something you could take further with the Interior Architecture department if it feels inconsistent with previous marking.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am just finishing my third year at the University of Westminster in Politics and have found that the department I am under to have been particularly helpful throughout the COVID19 situation. I obviously cannot comment on the marking of some tutors for your course and your course is obviously much more practical based than mine.

Nonetheless, i was told by my tutors that any work that you feel has been affected by the virus (such as wifi issues or related to health) would be looked at on a case by case basis and be deferred to the summer to allow more time to complete it. I have done this for some assignments as I was impacted mainly with internet issues and accessing online documents. Usually the process of deferring is quite a difficult, delayed and thorough but on this occasion has been made quite easy. I was given a response within a couple of days and put at ease. On the matter of harsh marking, maybe this is something you could take further with the Interior Architecture department if it feels inconsistent with previous marking.
Thank you for replying to this. I wanted to know others experiences and I'm glad you had a good one. Thank you also for the advice, I'm already talking with the department about this issue.
O_2020
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I have also just finished my third year from the University of Westminster: Interior Architecture course. To be honest I don't believe this is a true representation of the course and the tutors who teach the course. I say this with experience as my third year consisted of many difficult situations that affected my studies and the tutors did a great job at helping me where and when possible. I was able to stay in contact with them throughout the whole of the Coronavirus situation and I know this was a mutual experience for my peers. I was able to contact my tutor at any time and I received a prompt reply every time. This was also true for others who needed to contact their tutors. I truly believe the amount of effort you put it, would be mutually given back. Also in regards to the resubmission rules, that has always been the case. We were given enough extra time to hand in our work, considering the specifications for submission were also adjusted and some things even removed, to help us during the peak time of the virus. Thus, I would say that the overall actions taken were more than just and fair. The requirement for mitigating circumstances was even lessened to help us and so if you did apply for it, you would know that this was available and also very fair.Furthermore, in relation to the work being lessened from the specification, I feel as though the marking was fairly done. Had the marking changed, it would not represent the quality of the work submitted by myself and my peers. You also have to take in to account that the tutors do not mark the work on their own, they have external examiners, who look at the work separately and mark accordingly, which the tutors have to take into account. So had the marking been unfair, it would have been highlighted in this process. It's a shame your experience was what it was, but I can say that this is not the majority view unfortunately for yourself. Hope everything works out well for you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by O_2020)
I have also just finished my third year from the University of Westminster: Interior Architecture course. To be honest I don't believe this is a true representation of the course and the tutors who teach the course. I say this with experience as my third year consisted of many difficult situations that affected my studies and the tutors did a great job at helping me where and when possible. I was able to stay in contact with them throughout the whole of the Coronavirus situation and I know this was a mutual experience for my peers. I was able to contact my tutor at any time and I received a prompt reply every time. This was also true for others who needed to contact their tutors. I truly believe the amount of effort you put it, would be mutually given back. Also in regards to the resubmission rules, that has always been the case. We were given enough extra time to hand in our work, considering the specifications for submission were also adjusted and some things even removed, to help us during the peak time of the virus. Thus, I would say that the overall actions taken were more than just and fair. The requirement for mitigating circumstances was even lessened to help us and so if you did apply for it, you would know that this was available and also very fair.Furthermore, in relation to the work being lessened from the specification, I feel as though the marking was fairly done. Had the marking changed, it would not represent the quality of the work submitted by myself and my peers. You also have to take in to account that the tutors do not mark the work on their own, they have external examiners, who look at the work separately and mark accordingly, which the tutors have to take into account. So had the marking been unfair, it would have been highlighted in this process. It's a shame your experience was what it was, but I can say that this is not the majority view unfortunately for yourself. Hope everything works out well for you.
Thank you for the reply. I feel as though even tho some of us have tor resubmit, the time they have given us to submit has not taken Covid into account. I have no access to a computer and the offer for receiving one has finished and no one is replying to me. I also do not understand why GCSE students are allowed to retake in November for the grades they don't like but university students aren't given such graces. I am trying to gather students who are in the same situation as me in order to bring about some leniency because I can't submit something crucial if I have not got the equipment that was promised to me at the beginning of the year. I'm unsure of what to do next but thank you for replying
xx_2020
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I do not think it is fair to judge the course it self as a whole, only because of personal reasons or the COVID-19 situation. I just finished 3rd of BA Interior Architecture at University of Westminster and I think the opposite, regardless to whatever mark I received, our tutors emailed us nearly everyday up and till now updating us with relevant information regarding university, our submissions, how to react to feeling alone during lock down, student supports advice, group videos were arranged constantly to see how everyone was doing and to gather opinions regarding extensions / exhibitions / lack of facility use. My personal studio tutor stayed in contact with me for several months during Coronavirus phase, providing me with every help she can whilst supporting other students. I was able to contact her whenever I needed help regarding my project, and I would get a response instantly because they knew how important our last year was to us and simple because they are great tutors of the Interior Architect department. I did not once feel as if I was going through all the work load alone, because I knew I could reach my tutor for anything and the help was there. Also marking is looked at from the external examiners, which means they examine the course as a whole, in order to inspect standards are compatible with standards across Universities in the UK. Therefore the external examiners would have noticed if the marks were unfair.

As mentioned earlier I think it may be more personal reasons than the 'tutors marking harshly', only because vast majority of the students do not think the same. But I do hope everything works out for you.
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
Given the amount of Firsts given out to third year students on their dissertations and also given how many have just graduated with First Class degrees (it is a lot), I would say the Uni has actually , contrary to what OP says, overcompensated for the Covid-19 situation. I would say marking has been overly generous and most markers have been too sympathetic to students while marking their work. There has been a real issue of immense grade inflation since Covid. I know this from the grades I and all my friends have received since this whole pandemic and lockdown started.
Anonymous2101
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I too have just completed my third year of Interior Architecture at the UofW. In my opinion, the marking was fair and concessions were swiftly and effectively made with consideration to the COVID situation. I have experienced a number of other struggles outside of the COVID crisis during the entirety of the course - specifically this last semester - however felt that it was my responsibility to make the extra effort to prioritise and complete the course to the best of my ability. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome and am more than happy with the mark I recieved. Although we did not have access to the workshops or facilities which affected our ability to produce a wider range of work, this is a situation which was not under the University's control and I feel it was dealt with well by the tutors and with the students success in mind. Submission requirements and parameters were altered, extensions and MCs were offered and encouraged and my tutor was consistently available at any time for support - even out of hours and at weekends. I believe they made every effort to reach out to the students and help in any way they could. I would say that it would not be in the tutors interests to punish or fail students on their own course and besides this, the marks were moderated by external examiners. I'm sorry that your experience of the course during COVID has been difficult however I and many of my peers feel that the results are more than fair under the current circumstances.
s.2020
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I've also just completed my 3rd year in Interior Architecture at the University of Westminster. And under the circumstances, it was handled well. We received and continue to receive a lot of support. Before the closure of the university, there were many discussions and warnings as to how things would move forward. I think it worked better than expected. We were at a good stage in our projects where people were working independently, we also received more tutorials, the extra time for hand in and were able to contact our tutors whenever with rapid replies. Group calls where heled with activities getting the people participating and group conversations which meant we stayed in contact with our peers. We still had out crits with guest critics I feel as though they did everything possible to give us as much of the experience that we were missing out on as possible. The hand in deliverables were adapted and the extra time made the work achievable. In my opinion, it was fairly marked with clear feedback.
Last edited by s.2020; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads